Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Tiger Woods [#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
As an FYI: if Steve Williams was a professional golfer, his earnings would place him in the top 200 all time earnings list on the PGA tour, without swining a club.

He is now 30 on the money list. What a great gig!
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
I've never been an avid golf viewer, and only recently started playing. But I learned three things over the weekend.

1. Tiger is an amazing putter. I think they mentioned that if Sergio Garcia could putt as well as Tiger, Garcia would blow Tiger away.

2. Tiger is nothing without the par 5's. The more the merrier, for him.

3. Rocco Mediate is a class act. I aspire to be like him in his demeanor (esp after a 4-putt). And he's also a good poker player as well.

1-Sergio is mentally weak and that is why he can't putt. That is like saying if Ray Allen has a turnaround jumper he would be better than Jordan...well he is not Jordan and Garcia is too weak to be Tiger.
2-somewhat, he has one of the best short games of all time and is a top 10% ball striker on two good knees...most players can reach the par 5s in two so generally it's an even playing field, but Tiger sinks the 45 and 65 foot putts .
3-Yeah, he is a class act but he doesn't win. Before this weekend, most did not know of Rocco other than he has a cool name. I think his demeanor is not condusive to winning and it showed, and it was sooo relaxed that it looked fake. Although, i feel he is 95% genuine.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
kidderek wrote:
I've never been an avid golf viewer, and only recently started playing. But I learned three things over the weekend.

1. Tiger is an amazing putter. I think they mentioned that if Sergio Garcia could putt as well as Tiger, Garcia would blow Tiger away.

2. Tiger is nothing without the par 5's. The more the merrier, for him.

3. Rocco Mediate is a class act. I aspire to be like him in his demeanor (esp after a 4-putt). And he's also a good poker player as well.

1-Sergio is mentally weak and that is why he can't putt. That is like saying if Ray Allen has a turnaround jumper he would be better than Jordan...well he is not Jordan and Garcia is too weak to be Tiger.
2-somewhat, he has one of the best short games of all time and is a top 10% ball striker on two good knees...most players can reach the par 5s in two so generally it's an even playing field, but Tiger sinks the 45 and 65 foot putts .
3-Yeah, he is a class act but he doesn't win. Before this weekend, most did not know of Rocco other than he has a cool name. I think his demeanor is not condusive to winning and it showed, and it was sooo relaxed that it looked fake. Although, i feel he is 95% genuine.

1. Agreed. Sergio doesn't have the killer instinct, however, I think Ray Allen is a poor example. Jordan's better than Ray Allen in every aspect of the game, acting too. Every aspect. I believe they mentioned that Sergio hit way more GIR than Tiger.

2. They showed a stat during the Master's. Tiger is over par in his entire career for par3's and par4's and way under for par5's at the Master's.

3. Yea, at that level, you need the killer instinct to win it all. But at my infinite handicap level, a cool demeanor would certainly help so that I can relax and not try to hit the ball 900 yards.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Agree with most of what you wrote, especially the bit about the media. It is becoming extremely tiresome to watch golf nowadays. Every second sentence is about Tiger, and how he is the greatest this, greatest that. Whats most disgusting is how channels line up another guy on the PGA tour for an interview, while the tournament is on, and rather than asking questions about the tournament, course or his own game, they ask leading questions about tiger.

"You think he is the greatest short-gamer you have ever seen?"

"well, tiger isnt playing this tournament. You think him not being here makes it easier for you?"

"What did you think about that chip shot he played from the bunker 5 years ago at the Buick Invitational?"

This goes on and on, and if any player shows even a little annoyance at being asked un-related questions, then he gets grilled on-air in every single golf program. Tiger sans any hype is already a legend. He doesnt need all this cheap peddling.

dosa_don wrote:
but am not a Tiger fan. I cannot
stand the media worship (though it is deserved)- as a golf fan, I would like to watch more golf than Tiger eating an apple, or Tiger waiting for the blimp to clear etc.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Quote:
1. Agreed. Sergio doesn't have the killer instinct, however, I think Ray Allen is a poor example. Jordan's better than Ray Allen in every aspect of the game, acting too. Every aspect. I believe they mentioned that Sergio hit way more GIR than Tiger.

2. They showed a stat during the Master's. Tiger is over par in his entire career for par3's and par4's and way under for par5's at the Master's.

3. Yea, at that level, you need the killer instinct to win it all. But at my infinite handicap level, a cool demeanor would certainly help so that I can relax and not try to hit the ball 900 yards.

1. Ray Allen has a better three point shot than Jordan had. All Sergio can do is strike better than Tiger. Plus, I would say they were/are top 20 players in their prime.

2. Correct.

3. At our level golf should be fun.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
As far as media hype, he moves the ratings meter. TV is about ratings. The ratings are higher the more they talk about Tiger and when he is in a tournament. He is an international name and moves the meter. My wife hates sports on TV and watched Saturday, Sunday, and a little on Monday due to the Tiger effect. For most sports fans it can be annoying, but you can't hate Tiger due to the way the media salivates over him.

Also, I think Rocco's personality (totally opposite of Tiger) helped the drama this weekend.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
3. At our level golf should be fun.

I had to chuckle at that one. I try to have fun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Tiger is out for the year. ....WOW
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
yeah, he came back way to soon. I would have rather seen him in the british, pga champ and ryder cup than the us open.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
yeah, he came back way to soon. I would have rather seen him in the british, pga champ and ryder cup than the us open.

Not the means, but the ends. You kinda got what you wanted.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Yeah, in a way we all did. It was a great weekend for golf, but he has a torn ligament and a double stress fracture in his leg.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
MJ is way better in the clutch. Tiger does not have anyone defending him
SVP
SVP
Send PM
perfectexamscore wrote:
MJ is way better in the clutch. Tiger does not have anyone defending him

Tiger is not dependent on a crooked ref.
GMAT Club Bot