Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1988 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Tight timeline, inconsistent GMAT scores, breaking into 700+ [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi t3sttak3r1234,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
3) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
4) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I actually had a really bad day on the test day, I was a little sick, so I wasn't performing at the optimal condition.

1. The Economist GMAT practice exams do not have AWA/essay sections. But when I was taking the GMAT Prep ones, yes, I took the entire CAT each time.
2. About the same time of the day, +/- 2 hours
3. For 1-2 CATs, unfortunately, yes, but for the others, no.
4. No, I attempted once for the GMAT Prep 1 & 2.

Rich, do you have any advices for me? Given my situation, what can I do to improve my performance? Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi t3sttak3r1234,

From your prior post, there were some 'red flags' in terms of how you took your CATs. Before we discuss those issues though, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

1. I tried to relax and go through the practice questions that I got wrong. I did not take another CAT before the GMAT
2. I did not sleep well, thus, that's probably one of the reasons why I had a bad test day
3. It was supposed to be 30 minutes, max, but an unexpected downpour + thunderstorm flooded the roads and I was a lot more anxious, and I was rushing to the test center
4. No distractions, very professional and pleasant experience. I was probably too nervous
5. I went to the bathroom, stretched a little bit, and went back in
6. No, in my practice tests, I felt like I scored lower in my verbal because I rushed through the verbal section and often ended sections too early. I ended up making some silly mistakes, so I decided to take a little bit more time
7. For Quant during the real test, yes. For the practice tests, I rushed in half of them and did not finish the Quant sections. But for the three latest practice tests (1 Economist, 2 GMAT Prep 1&2), I finished them and scored V46.

Here's a thought:
Would it be better to focus on my areas of weaknesses and just continuously do practice questions from the OG question bank (OG + verbal + quant)?
Or do you recommend another method, or tool? Is there a tool that would evaluate my areas of weaknesses and focus on those areas to improve?

Your advices are greatly appreciated. Happy to DM if it's more convenient. Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi t3sttak3r1234,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes/suggestions about how to proceed.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi t3sttak3r1234,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT. Since you have been studying for some time and scored 550 on your GMAT, you really need to look at HOW you have been preparing and potentially make some changes. Moving forward, you will want to follow a study plan that allows you to learn linearly, such that you can slowly build GMAT mastery of one topic prior to moving on to the next. Within each topic, begin with the foundations and progress toward more advanced concepts.

For example, if you are learning about Number Properties, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

You can work on verbal in a similar manner. For example, let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each Critical Reasoning question type, do focused practice so that you can track your skill in answering each type of question. If, for example, you get a Weaken question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific Critical Reasoning question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and instead focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and thereby comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of Reading Comprehension questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect Reading Comprehension answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be easy to read. So, to better prepare yourself to tackle such passages, begin reading magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, it is likely that you will have to work on all three of those aspects, and it is also likely that the reason that your Sentence Correction performance has not improved is that you have not been working on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, to be successful in Sentence Correction, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not really a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning the grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. Likely, the main reason that Sentence Correction has not "clicked" for you is that you have not put enough work into developing your skill in seeing what is going on in the various versions of the sentence that the answer choices create. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns in the sentence clearly refer to nouns in the sentence? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answer were always the one that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices in a Sentence Correction question, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. It may take time for you to see what you have to see. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you are answering Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. For instance, are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off, and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently that would have extended your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regimens, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you will then want to practice with Sentence Correction questions that test you on skills from multiple Sentence Correction topics.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal and quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi t3sttak3r1234,

I am sorry that your scores were not in line with your expectations. It is possible to break in to the 700+ category without getting a Q50. Here are a few success stories of students who did that:
    - Martina knew it would be tough for her to improve her Quant score, so she focused on Verbal prep and scored a 730 (V46). Click here to see her interview.
    - Anupriya scored 760 (Q48 V46). Click here to watch her amazing interview.
Since you are a working professional, I think you would find this article on Study Plan for Working Professionals – Balancing Work and Study to be useful.

Get Access to the material used by Martina and Anupriya

Sign up for the e-GMAT Free Trial to get access to the course used by Martina and Anupriya and check whether it works for you as well! We are also conducting free CR and Algebra webinars this weekend. Register on the below links to reserve your spot and experience the course.

Hope this helps! Feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com for any further queries.

Regards,
Aditee
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I did have a bad test day on my first attempt. Subsequently, I took more practice tests and got scores from 660 to 720 (official GMAT practice tests and the Economist GMAT tests). In all of my practice tests, I consistently scored Q46-48 (Q46 is in line with my practice tests taken prior to the first attempt). Today, I retook the real test and got a 680 Q44, V38. Getting enough sleep and not being sick made a huge difference. But, I still couldn't get rid of my test anxiety. I tried to relax by taking my time, but I eventually screwed up my quant because I spent too much time on the first 10 questions, leaving little time for the last 10. So right now, I'm planning to retake the test in 16 days (my target score is 720+), and I'm deciding whether I should cancel my score - should I cancel a 680? Next, how should I tackle on improving my Quant back to 46+ (hopefully hitting 49?), and Verbal above 40 (my target is hitting 80th percentile for both)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi t3sttak3r1234,

Your thread have been very useful to me as I'm going through a similar rough patch. I also took the Economist GMAT course and feel I don't want to spend another $1000.
What course/materials ended up working out best for you?

This is my story: I've just restarted my prep for the GMAT (2/3 weeks ago). Back in October/November, I took the EconomistGMAT course and was on pace to take the exam in the beginning of December. Unfortunately, I got stuck at work with an awesome venture debt deal and stopped studying. Now that the deal has closed, I'm back to studying again.

This weekend, I took a practice exam and got a 540 (Q36, V28). I'm shocked because I thought I had not forgotten the tricks and my last score back in November was 660 (Q48, V33).

My target score is 720 + and plan to take the official GMAT in March. Do you have any advice on strategy? Should I get another course/tutor? I realize I have to work on both : Quant and Verbal.

BB and other experts please give feedback. Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Carolebzr,

To start, you would likely receive more of a response if you were to start your own post-thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one). Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before you stopped?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the course you mentioned?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Carolebzr,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Given that your most recent baseline score is a 540 (180 points from your score goal), it’s clear that you are lacking the GMAT quant and verbal fundamental you need for a high score, right? Thus, despite hitting a 660 back in November, you really need to follow a linear and structured study plan, so that you can individually learn each quant and verbal topic, starting with the foundations before moving to more advanced topics. By studying in such a way, you can methodically improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills and ensure that no stone is left unturned. If you'd like more specific advice of how to improve your quant and verbal skills, please refer to my post higher up in the thread.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts