It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time/Task/Life Management in Business School

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Time/Task/Life Management in Business School [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 19:53
Hello,

I am a new MBA student in my first semester. I am loving my experience so far and am very grateful to be pursuing this path. However, I feel a bit overwhelmed as far as keeping up w/ assignments, projects, personal tasks, networking activities, club activities and social activities.

I am curious to hear how other MBA students keep up with everything and make sure they do things on time.

Any creative tips, anecdotes or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 141 [1], given: 73

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Time/Task/Life Management in Business School [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
Here's some tips I've found helpful throughout my career, including b-school.

1. Stay organized - If an appointment isn't on my calendar, it doesn't exist and I will miss it. If an assignment, reading, or deliverable isn't in my task list, it won't get done. If an email is in my inbox, it requires my attention; otherwise it gets filed or deleted. I use Outlook for all of these tasks, but know many people like Gmail or OneNote as well. Take a few minutes everyday to make sure your calendar, inbox, and task list are up-to-date. Take advantage of shared calendars (Google or Sharepoint).

2. Saying no - Many of the type-A high-achievers in top b-schools learn the hard way that it's the first time they can't do everything. You can't even come close. Of all of the worthwhile, awesome opportunities and activities I've had, I've found I can take advantage of maybe 20% of them. Don't wait until your calendar is full to say no. If you fill your schedule with commitments in the first quarter, you won't have bandwidth in the winter or spring when something else cool comes along. Everyone jokes about FOMO, but it should be renamed ROMO (the reality of missing out), because you will.

3. Prioritize - Set some overarching goals for yourself and prioritize them. During my first year, these were 1) Recruiting 2) Social activities/networking 3) Family (very understanding wife) 4) Leadership/involvement and 5) Class. Going into my second year, the priorities have shifted: 1) Family (baby now) 2) Leadership/involvement 3) Social activities/networking 4) Class and 5) Travel. I'm fortunate that I don't have to recruit again. I used and will use these lists as a guide for where I devote my time. Remember, this is your time and it's likely the last time you will have 2 years to devote to personal and professional development. There is almost nothing you have to do. If you're not enjoying something, stop it... now.

Kudos [?]: 141 [1], given: 73

Time/Task/Life Management in Business School   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2014, 11:50

Time/Task/Life Management in Business School

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap