Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Time to kill [#permalink]
Thats good. Business periodicals are good (you would think especially for an MBA.) However, the English language like others, is a shared experience. Meaning that its constantly growing, and there may be many approaches to conveying similar messages. You should branch out to classic literature and technical writing as well, rather than exclusively pop-fic and business (not that I am a writing snob!)

After reading something, how well do you feel you understand it?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Day-16

RC was on the radar today.I wanted to change my approach towards RC because I was not performing well on RC.I was following Manhattan's RC tactics (skeleton sketch & road map) to tackle RCs but I think instead of taking too much notes, a single note per paragraph should be fine (general theme of that paragraph).
That way I can save much needed time.To my surprise that strategy worked for me, my accuracy increased by almost 11%.

I finished about 8 RCs.I must say that not worrying much about notes helped me a lot.I guess I will give my 2nd GMAT-prep test soon.

Hasta la vista!!

Originally posted by MSDHONI on 06 May 2011, 10:21.
Last edited by MSDHONI on 07 May 2011, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Pretty good.I mean I have to use "wordweb" once or twice but except that I can fathom the gist very well.

Per my thinking, reason behind my not so good RC performance is timing.

greghopkins01 wrote:
Thats good. Business periodicals are good (you would think especially for an MBA.) However, the English language like others, is a shared experience. Meaning that its constantly growing, and there may be many approaches to conveying similar messages. You should branch out to classic literature and technical writing as well, rather than exclusively pop-fic and business (not that I am a writing snob!)

After reading something, how well do you feel you understand it?

Originally posted by MSDHONI on 06 May 2011, 10:24.
Last edited by MSDHONI on 06 May 2011, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
nice dailyblog! nice to see that im not alone in the daily slog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thats good. I would agree with your reasoning. Its very important that you understand the sum of a passages parts and the meaning in RC, rather than note taking on every possible detail.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Day-17

What a day.I finished 1st of Princeton review's 2 free tests (with the book, which I have borrowed from local library).I scored whooping 740(q50v42).
I am not sure whether the Princeton review test score is good indicator of the GMAT score!
Any thoughts guys??
Good thing for me was that my accuracy in the RC increased significantly (about 13%), If I could have avoided few silly mistakes then I would have scored above 750!! :)))(just a thought)

I am on my way GMAT!!

'till later,
M.S.DHONI
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Day-18

Another triumph!
I Gave my 2nd MGMAT-test today!I scored 720(q48v40)!
Few things, which I need to improve are,
1.Timing :- I was in serious shortage of time in both the sections.Lack of time forced me to guess for 4 to 5 questions out of last 10 questions (in each section)!
2.Problems on probability :- I wasted around 5 minutes on a probability problem (concept of probability tree).

That's it for now!Stay tuned!

-M.S.DHONI
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MSDHONI wrote:
Day-18

Another triumph!
1.Timing :- I was in serious shortage of time in both the sections.Lack of time forced me to guess for 4 to 5 questions out of last 10 questions (in each section)!
2.Problems on probability :- I wasted around 5 minutes on a probability problem (concept of probability tree).

-M.S.DHONI

Hey Man you are doing awesome, I am planning to face GMAT on 13th June, but I am in pretty bad shape and especially verbal, I gave a diagnostic test on Knewton, 44 Quant and a pathetic verbal of 30. SC is pain areas, need to start it from scratch, can you recommend something? Right from grammar, CR is ok and manageable but still need to be worked on. Any suggestion will be helpful.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
By all means mate!
If you feel that your grammar fundamentals are not that good then you should use Manhattan's SC guide!Believe me it's an awesome book.For more practice you can use Aristotle's SC question bank(gives you 100 questions & their answer w/ nice explanation for $5)!
For CR I found kaplan's guide(KP-11) is the best among all!!For further practice I used Aristotle's LSAT set(w/o explanation)

-M.S.DHONI
rahul133 wrote:
MSDHONI wrote:
Day-18

Another triumph!

-M.S.DHONI

Hey Man you are doing awesome, I am planning to face GMAT on 13th June, but I am in pretty bad shape and especially verbal, I gave a diagnostic test on Knewton, 44 Quant and a pathetic verbal of 30. SC is pain areas, need to start it from scratch, can you recommend something? Right from grammar, CR is ok and manageable but still need to be worked on. Any suggestion will be helpful.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MSDHONI wrote:
Day-8
I don't know why but I feel relaxed when I approach GMAT questions (Math/Verbal), well whatever be the reason a balanced state of mind is needed for successful GMAT stint!!

I finished around 60 Verbal questions yesterday.While doing SC questions from GMATCLUB questions (posted by users) I found that so many questions are not written correctly or their answers are still under debate, so I have decided that from now onwards I will practice questions from reputed materials only.
I have started doing ETS' paper-based test#14.My accuracy in Verbal was as stated below.
SC-90%
RC-66%
CR-100%

RC is the area of concern right now.But, I can & I will.

Good going buddy....I am sure you'll make it to ur target....

What study mtrl / book you are reffering to for CR...I find my self very weak at CR...Can you help me with it...or send me some study mtrl,which you feel ok for me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Day-19

A bad day!!I had some problems at work-place.Entire day was spent after resolving things at site!!After coming back home I was too tired to practice.Though I tried to sit down & practice some verbal questions.
I somehow finished verbal section of GMAT paper-test# 25.My performance was poor.
Got 15 out of 22 in SC,12 out of 16 in CR & 19 out of 23 in RC.

'till later,
M.S.DHONI.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, LBS, LSE, DSF, ISB
Send PM
Great daily blog!! I'm sure you'll rock it in the Final..."Dhoni" style!!..;-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Day-20

Another busy day!somehow finished quant section from Papertest# 25 w/ about 87% accuracy, which could have been better if I could have avoided few silly mistakes!
During lunch break I came across a good site named platinumgmat.com!!
It has a nice collection of some free questionnaire.I finished the SC section from PG!

I guess it's time to take another test!

'till later,
M.S.DHONI
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Day-21
Gave Kaplan's first test yesterday.I was shocked to see the pathetic 580 at the end of the test.I found many questions from Kaplan tough & time consuming (Specially in verbal).I encountered 6 RC paragraphs.I guess standard GMAT doesn't throw that many RCs.

The normalize score through "GMAT-Club score calculator" was 670, which wasn't too encouraging either.Anyhow it's behind me now so no need to worry much.Just feed 'em in the error log, learn from the mistakes & move on.

Adios..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Day-22
GMAT is not that hard test.If one get a chances to do nothing but prepare for GMAT for 1 month it would be piece of cake to score above 700.But many of us have to do their daily chores for leaving,Keep their loved ones happy & prepare for the test.
MBA for me started on the same day when I decided to do it.You got be smart & intuitive to tame the test.
Some unpremeditated work on site is keeping me busy for last 3 days & I am not able to focus fully on the test preparation.Yesterday I somehow finished verbal section from paper-test#37 with 82% accuracy in SC, 81% accuracy in RC & 69% accuracy in CR.
My performance in CR has waned which is not so pleasant considering CR is my forte.

-M.S.DHONI
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
that happens, out of sight out of mind. particularly in CR and SC questions,i usually finish CR questions in 1:20-1:30 min when i am in touch with CR , but a 4-5 day break and the timing goes back to 2:20-2:30 min.
for SC , the same questions i manage to get correct quite easily become challenging once i am out of touch with SC.

anyway , nice blog here . seems i can learn from your mistakes
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Day-23
It was a super busy day(Friday the 13th):( ! After finishing my work I reached home at around 8:30 P.M. I was completely out of steam.But to be on track & to write a test during weekend I had to finish revision of Combination,permutation & probability.I started the revision at around 9:30 (w/ R.S. Agrawal) & finished it around 12:30!
The good thing w/ this book (R.S. Agrawal) is it tests your fundamentals by using different sort of questions.To quickly freshen up your fundamentals this book is good.

-M.S.DHONI
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4