Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 16:08 It is currently 16 May 2024, 16:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Timing strategy [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jimwild,

While everyone has questions and concerns about pacing at some point during their studies, it might be too early for you to be focused on that issue. Pacing problems don't exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems, so you really have to put in the necessary prep time to get comfortable with the content, tactics and patterns of the GMAT before you start nitpicking your pacing.

I'll be happy to offer some advice, once I know a bit more about your studies so far and timeline.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What is your score goal?
3) How have you scored on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi thank you both for replying

I started around 1 month ago
i did 1 practicet test using GMATPREP software but i really rushed because didnt apply time management and got 610

im targeting 750

everyone say 1st 10 questions are importants in forum what do you mean by INITIAL assessement?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
Re: Timing strategy [#permalink]
jimwild wrote:
Hi thank you both for replying

I started around 1 month ago
i did 1 practicet test using GMATPREP software but i really rushed because didnt apply time management and got 610

im targeting 750

everyone say 1st 10 questions are importants in forum what do you mean by INITIAL assessement?

The algorithm that GMAC uses (or at least the information that we know about it) makes sure to adjust the difficulty over time. GMAC representatives have essentially done all they can to debunk this rumor without telling everyone the specifics of their algorithm.

From what the GMAC reps have said, they use the first 10 questions to get an initial assessment of your ability. However, if you get the next 10 questions correct, you can bet that you will see harder questions. That is the nature of a computer adaptive test. So while the first 10 questions may be important for the initial assessment of ability, you can show the GMAC algorithm that the questions are too easy for you (or too hard) and thus the algorithm will adapt.

Does it help to get all of the first 10 questions correct? Yes, of course. But remember that you need to finish the entire quant section and rushing at the end could cause you to make multiple mistake in a row, which would certainly bring down your score.

Side Note: Just because everyone thinks something may be true, doesn't mean it actually is true. Always use your CR skills!

I do agree with Rich though. It is likely too early to really be worrying about bigger timing strategies since you are only a month into the game. I think the most important thing is to make sure you are completing each section. If you find that a certain problem type is particularly difficult for you, then you can try to identify why you may be taking extra time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jimwild,

You'll need to provide some specific information before I can offer any specific suggestions.

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on that first practice CAT?
2) What materials have you been using during your studies so far?
3) When are you planning to take the Official GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot