GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 17:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tips for improving Quant - Going in Circles

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Tips for improving Quant - Going in Circles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 20:37
Hello Everyone,

I recently extended my GMAT by 3 more weeks, which will be in 6.5 weeks. I am aiming for a 750+ score, and will be working on both Q/V for the next 6 weeks (probably 3 weeks of pure quant). I have been studying for almost 3 months now and my initial plan was to master quant as quick as possible so I can concentrate on the verbal section (since I assumed Verbal to be my weakness). My plan has failed because quant is much harder than I thought it would be. I'm naturally good at math and passed both AP calc exams in high school. My math in college was limited but I still had some quantitative classes, but still GMAT Quant is not a math test.

I have been using MGMAT + OG for the past few months. I read all 5 Quant books + did QB +OG questions. At first I was studying untimed and scored 44 (GmatPrep), 43 and 46 (MGMAT), and timed 48 (GmatPrep retake). While these scores are decent, I am getting 16-19 questions wrong so I'm definitely uncomfortable with my quant (Plus my goal is 50/51). My biggest problem is figuring out a study plan. Verbal seems a lot more straighforward to me. With Quant my weaknesses are evenly spread out and every CAT I take I face a different variation of each problem. There is no clear trend. I make 1-2 mistakes in each category. I tried doing OG problems by category but they seem different/easier than CAT tests (plus very limited in number, especially in Number Properties). I bought GMAT Club Test Subscription and Advanced Quant from MGMAT yesterday. I plan to concentrate on each major category of questions by doing custom quizzes by topic from GMATClub, and doing CAT's from MGMAT on Sundays. I will read the Advanced Quant in about 2 weeks. It seems all good when I say it, but when I try to apply this study plan it seems like it's not going anywhere. Does anyone have tips for me? Have you faced a similar situation where you're going in circle and wasting time?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Tips for improving Quant - Going in Circles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 15:36
Hi KillerGMAT,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
3) What is your exact Official Test Date?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 17:30
Hello,

Not sure how all of that is going to help, but here it is:

Studies:
1. I mentioned only my quants in my question because all of my CAT's except for 1 have been untimed so far. I haven't been doing any of the IR/Essays
GMATPrep1 untimed (44,23) - 560 - Took this after finishing my quant review of MGMAT. Kind of skipped over Verbal to just see my quant score.
MGMAT CAT1 (43, 34) 640 untimed - Took this after 3 weeks of MGMAT Verbal and OG study
MGMAT CAT2 (46, 35) 670 untimed
GMATPrep1 Retake (timed) (48,27) - 620. It was my first timed test, and from the burnout of studying I got really tired during the Verbal section. Shows how much different timed tests can be.

Goals:
1.Feb 17
2. R2 , R3
3. I'm actually not applying to business schools, just MSF programs
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 16:24
Hi KillerGMAT,

The 750+ score is approximately the 98th percentile - meaning that 98% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. Thankfully, NO Business School actually requires a Score that high. This is meant to say that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are likely not the same thing.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's likely what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs untimed, retaking CATs that you've already taken, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience' - by extension, these CAT scores are likely not accurate.

Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. When you sit down on Test Day, you KNOW that you're going to be in the Computer Lab for about 4 hours - but if you're just taking individual sections (or taking a CAT without the Essay and IR sections), then you KNOW that you'll be done in 1-2 hours. The attitude and energy that you use during practice will NOT be a match for what you'll need on Test Day, so it's not a proper way to practice.

Thankfully, these are relatively easy issues to fix - you just have to take the steps to take your CATS in a more realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). To determine the exact areas you should be working on next, we need to properly assess your current skills, so I suggest that you plan to take a NEW FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tips for improving Quant - Going in Circles &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jan 2018, 16:24

Tips for improving Quant - Going in Circles

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap