It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tips for pacing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Tips for pacing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 18:11
I am finding it extremely difficult to complete GMAT on time. I have been taking Princeton Review online practice tests. If I don't time myself I end up spending twice the time but easily score above 700. But when I time myself, I miss questions and score between 550 and 600. Any advice will be much appreciated? Problem areas are DS and geometry in Math and SC and CR in English. I come from a non English speaking country.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Tips for pacing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 22:15
For SC :

Dont read option A again . Also incase you find the mistake out inthe question dont read any options where the mistake is repeated. This way you will save time.

Regarding DS :

Dont solve till you get the answer completely .

For linear equations remember the rule, that for a 2 variable equation, you need min 2 different equations to solve the variables.

Find below some generic tips on pacing . Honestly speaking on test day all that will matter are your nerves, and your ability to leave the question and move ahead after 2-3 minutes in case you find it difficult. Dont get stuck onto one question unless you have loads of time .

------

Approximate time you should spend on questions

( From 800score.com)

Q 1 to Q 7 : 2 min 10 sec per question

Q 8 to Q19 : 2 min

Q 20 - end : 1 min 55 sec

--------------------------------------

Here is something a friend shared with me :

Maybe helpful to you

Time slow steady
75 1 1
65 5
58 9
50 11 13
38 17
34 21
25 24 25
10 33 33
3 37 37

Verbal
Time slow steady
75 1 1
66 5
59 9
50 12 14
41 17
37 21
25 27 28
15 33 33+
3 41 41

To understand this table If you are doing the verbal section after the first 25 min ( Timer will show 50 min) :- Incase your someone who starts slow , and then picks up pace you should beat Q12. Similiarly, you should be at q14, if you are a steady test taker, who takes the test at a constant rate for every question .

Ideally slow and steady is just a benchmark for you to know whether you are too fast , or extremely slow. Therefore after 25 min ideally you should be somewhere between the 12th and 14th question .

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 117 [1], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2008, 01:10
This post received
KUDOS
Accountant wrote:
I am finding it extremely difficult to complete GMAT on time. I have been taking Princeton Review online practice tests. If I don't time myself I end up spending twice the time but easily score above 700. But when I time myself, I miss questions and score between 550 and 600. Any advice will be much appreciated? Problem areas are DS and geometry in Math and SC and CR in English. I come from a non English speaking country.

Thanks

The trick here is to avoid frequently looking at the time left, but to monitor yourself over slightly larger chunks of time. This method leverages the law of averages and worked out fairly well for me - I only had to look how I was doing every 15 minutes or so (75 -> 60 -> 45 -> 30 -> 15 -> 0) and finished with time to spare on practice tests and on the real thing.

Of particular note in verbal is the vast difference in the time it takes to complete SCs, CRs and RCs. If you try micromanaging your time for each question down to every minute, you're going to lose out on a lot of time on processing just that. Try applying the law of averages (for eg. if you have a good mix of SCs, RCs and CRs in the 15 minute bucket, the time required for each will come out to 2 minutes) and see if it makes a difference. Also, the best way to improve your time in SCs is to master the method of elimination. The time you save here can go towards solving CRs and tough RCs.

Overall, you could aim to complete approximately 8 questions every 15 minutes (40 questions in 75 minutes) -- for both math and verbal. That way, you will pace yourself well ahead of the time required for math, and just a little under what's required for Verbal (worst case - guess on the last question, if need be). Additionally, with sufficient practice, you'll get a feel for what questions are likely to take you more time (I think you've already identified these). The idea here is not to waste a lot of time on these questions as they will have a tendency to strain the time left for your remaining questions - give them your best shot and move on.

My GMAT debrief

Kudos [?]: 117 [1], given: 16

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 92

WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2008, 04:52
1) Practice, practice, practice - give as many as GMAT Preps possible, with an intention to complete (if thats what you want to concentrate).

2) SKIP - Learn to skip, dont get stuck and rattle your mind. Move on.

3) Try using this : 1-t56014?sk=t&sd=a&hilit=GMAT+Timer

DS - you dont have to SOLVE the question, you only need to find out if you'll be able to solve the question, there is a difference. Also, I think practice really helps you understand DS. Try to limit yourself to 1-1.5 mins/question

SC - Manhattan GMAT, use this forum for practice. Limit yourself to 1 min

CR - I dont have much to say here, coz I'm struggling on this too.

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 92

Re: Tips for pacing   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2008, 04:52