GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tips to Improve GMAT in 2nd attempt PLS

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Tips to Improve GMAT in 2nd attempt PLS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hi

No better forum than this to discuss probably. I gave the GMAT yesterday. Scored a 650 (Q47 V33). Extremely disappointed as the MGMAT CATS and GMAT PREP 1 were much more considerate. ( GMATPREP 730; MGMAT CATS - 640;690;730). Have scored better in Verbal (V42) in GMAT PREP. Not able to figure out what went wrong on the actual test.
Gearing up for a second attempt. Would really appreciate advice on how to improve this to more respectable 720+ otherwise I can kiss my MBA dreams goodbye.
SVP
SVP
S
Re: Tips to Improve GMAT in 2nd attempt PLS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2014, 13:35
Scoring lower on the actual GMAT test compared to your practice test is a common gripe for many GMAT test takers. Anything can go off -- and in the end, unfortunately, the only score that business schools see is the real test.

Some test takers score lower due to nerves, some due to new question types they don't feel they've seen before. Some freak out. In the end, to conquer whatever these issues are -- one must be extremely confident going into the exam. Confident body language affects how your mind thinks, and how your mind thinks affects how fast you can answer a GMAT question.

Confidence on the GMAT comes down to being extremely familiar where all the booby traps are and having clear structured, framework strategies for solving the GMAT questions. You can do well on practice tests but when thrown a new question in a new way, if you don't have a structured approach, you'll find yourself reading and re-reading the question stem and reading and re-reading the answer choices. All of this slows you down and eventually affects your confidence in "conquering" the question. The longer you get stuck, the more guesses you make and the more your score is going to be affected.

At GMAT Pill, we recommend developing a framework strategy (similar to how consultants assess business problems) to solve GMAT questions. Where do you suspect you did the worse? If, for example, you're on reading comprehension, I'd recommend taking a look at some of gmatpill's rc videos here: http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -guide-rc/
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 05:53
Generally speaking, if you don't like your score on your first test, then you likely need to re-use the materials you have already been using, because you didn't learn everything that you needed to the first time around. Getting better is not about doing a bunch of new problems. It's about thoroughly analyzing the best problems you can get your hands on (OG, of course) so that you recognize what to do when you see something similar on the test. The one major difference is that you (hopefully) have a better sense of your strengths and weaknesses going into a re-take, so you can prioritize your study accordingly.

If you took the course, go get the hand-out from class 2 (you can download it from the Course Downloads page in your student center). That hand-out gives you 10 questions to ask yourself when reviewing problems. Have you been using these? If not, start doing it - this is how you thoroughly analyze the problems you're doing. Ask yourself these questions on every problem you do, including the ones you get right. In a 2-hour study period, spend about 30-40 minutes doing problems and the rest of the time reviewing. (Most of your learning comes from the review and analysis you do after trying the problem!)

FYI: the average score improvement from official test 1 to official test 2 is about 30 points. (That's for ALL test takers, not just MGMAT test takers.) So, it's some improvement, but not huge - not really statistically significant, actually. :)

Also, practice tests are very good for figuring out what your current scoring level is, but you don't get a lot better merely by taking a practice test. So consider saving one of those GMATPrep tests. Alternatively, You can still take both GMATPrep and MGMAT CATs with repeats as long as you follow a few guidelines to minimize the chance of artificially inflating your score via question repeats. First, anytime you see a problem that you remember (and this means: I know the answer or I'm pretty sure I remember the answer, not just "hmm, this looks vaguely familiar..."), immediately look at the timer and make yourself sit there for the full length of time for that question type. This way, you don't artificially give yourself more time than you should have. Second, think about whether you got this problem right the last time. If you did, get it right again this time. If you didn't, get it wrong again. If you *completely honestly* think that you would get it right this time around if it were a new question (even though you got it wrong last time) because you've studied that area and improved, then get it right this time.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 11:15
as fro you score you have some gap of improvement in quant sectio, i guess you missed few questions in quant or spend some extra time of some questions which may force you to skip few questions in quant. you can improve 40 points just pick up quant to reach to 51. for time management use the excel sheet which i have posted to improve time spec in quant and only one thing that can get you the target score.....never give up.....

give as many mock as possible and if possible go to any test centres or cyber cafe for mock as real test situation is what threatening you

try this this is really effective

and also give kudos to people to appreciate reply
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 12:31
Yes, agree with the first poster about really honing in on the areas in which you need the most help. No need to waste time relearning what you already know. You should be able to tell from your practice test debriefs what areas you should focus on.

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 08:07
Hi All,

I need serious help !!! Need 550+ on GMAT . I gave my gmat yesterday and scored 450 .Initially when I used to give mock I used to get 550+ and yesterday all went wrong . I was stuck in few questions and didn't realize about the time and at the end went up guessing questions again and again .However,I am retaking my Gmat in 15 days can somebody suggest me some useful ways to score of 550+ atleast.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 16:58
Hi Sumi1,

To start, I suggest that you start a new post thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one), so that the conversation can stay focused on your situation and questions. In that thread, you should provide more information on your studies, GMAT Score and goals. I'll be happy to offer advice and answer any questions that you have - and I'm sure that a number of the other Experts and Members will do the same.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 20:57
Sumi1 wrote:
Hi All,

I need serious help !!! Need 550+ on GMAT . I gave my gmat yesterday and scored 450 .Initially when I used to give mock I used to get 550+ and yesterday all went wrong . I was stuck in few questions and didn't realize about the time and at the end went up guessing questions again and again .However,I am retaking my Gmat in 15 days can somebody suggest me some useful ways to score of 550+ atleast.
Don't make any major changes at this stage. Focus on finishing the test without running out of time (a few questions not attempted or marked randomly should be fine for 550, but try to minimize the number of guesses). Make sure that you have a good timing strategy in place.

Although the OP is unlikely to mind your posting in this thread now, you could consider starting a new thread if you need more assistance.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 23:56
karanj wrote:
Hi

No better forum than this to discuss probably. I gave the GMAT yesterday. Scored a 650 (Q47 V33). Extremely disappointed as the MGMAT CATS and GMAT PREP 1 were much more considerate. ( GMATPREP 730; MGMAT CATS - 640;690;730). Have scored better in Verbal (V42) in GMAT PREP. Not able to figure out what went wrong on the actual test.
Gearing up for a second attempt. Would really appreciate advice on how to improve this to more respectable 720+ otherwise I can kiss my MBA dreams goodbye.

The real problem with 2nd attempt is to find real GMAT questions. Genuine GMAT questions are few and thus most of the education companies keep on using the same or make some minor changes to it. Most of the students use all questions in the starting only. While in the second attempt, everyone practice on the questions which they have already seen. This is the biggest challenge, and that's why you see anomalies in the Mock and real scores.
Re: Tips to Improve GMAT in 2nd attempt PLS   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2017, 23:56

Tips to Improve GMAT in 2nd attempt PLS

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR APRIL
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until April 30
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap