It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tired of this process

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41
Tired of this process [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 11:28
Ok, so I want to apply to the following European BS:

Cambridge Judge
HEC Paris
IMD

So, as you can see, I need a solid 690+ score to feel comfortable applying to these.

I studied communications (yes I know, lame), I'm from Peru and math has never been my strength. I'm 30 and I got 6 years of experience working in digital marketing.

FIRST TEST
I started studying for the GMAT in February 2017. I had to begin from the very very very basic stuff, mostly videos from Magoosh (all of their quant videos and all of their questions and explanations). In October 2017 after 150 hours of study I took the GMAT and scored an embarrassing 550, with Q32 and V35. I felt I was a mess during the exam. I got very anxious with the quant section, obsessively checking the timer and feeling crushed each time I got an extremely easy question. I canceled the score and felt like the biggest failure of all time.

SECOND TEST
I studied everything again (Magoosh math videos, hard questions and explanations, 2 GMAT OGs and the first 4 test exams from GMAT, TWICE each) and took a personal teacher (12 hours or so) to review each hard question I didn't nail. I retook the test on December 27th and scored 640 (Q36, V41). I was once again completely devastated at my poor improvement in math (my only consolation was that sweet 94 percentile in verbal). During the exam I felt more comfortable than before, but I still got anxious and checked at the time more than I'd like to accept. I was surprised with the fact that I finished the math section instead of blindly rushing like the first time. Nevertheless, I accepted the score since I thought the BS could see my hard work and improvement once I finally scored my 700 in the future. I calculated 52 hours of study in this phase.

THIRD TEST
Now I switched my study plan. I did the GMAT Club diagnostic test and started doing the Manhattan prep tests (focusing only on the math parts, since I think I'm pretty set in the verbal area), and carefully redoing (with no time set) and studying each of my mistakes. These have been my scores so far:

Manhattan Prep 1 - 42
Manhattan Prep 2 - 43
Manhattan Prep 3 - 40
Manhattan Prep 4 - 40

I'm sick and tired of studying for this exam. I feel my life for the past 14 months or so has circled around it. I feel the light at the end of the tunnel is near but I'm not sure if this new approach is doing me any good. I want and need clear improvements fast! I'm aiming at June for my 3rd try at this exam so I can apply for a January 2019 intake and I need to get to 46 on Quant if I'm gonna make it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I study mostly in the weekends since I work Mon-Fri. Maybe I should take a vacation and focus intensively on this 46Q?

Thanks in advance!
Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Tired of this process [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 13:24
Hi CCLZA,

To start, you've made some really nice progress so far - a 90-point improvement is a significant achievement. Many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q36 might be seen as a 'red flag' at certain Programs. Thus, it's understandable why you would want to continue to study and improve on this Score.

Several times in your post, you referred to the Quant section of the GMAT as the "math section" and that might be part of the difficulty that you're facing. The Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test' - it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. To score at a much higher level in this section, you need to become more of a 'strategist' and less of a 'mathematician.' This is all meant to say that by focusing on Quant Tactics, you'll be better able to increase your GMAT Score AND how Business School Admissions Officers will view your potential to handle their respective Programs.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 17:11
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi CCLZA,

To start, you've made some really nice progress so far - a 90-point improvement is a significant achievement. Many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q36 might be seen as a 'red flag' at certain Programs. Thus, it's understandable why you would want to continue to study and improve on this Score.

Several times in your post, you referred to the Quant section of the GMAT as the "math section" and that might be part of the difficulty that you're facing. The Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test' - it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. To score at a much higher level in this section, you need to become more of a 'strategist' and less of a 'mathematician.' This is all meant to say that by focusing on Quant Tactics, you'll be better able to increase your GMAT Score AND how Business School Admissions Officers will view your potential to handle their respective Programs.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean and it's probably my biggest weakness and the source of my anxiety whenever I take the test: I may not be confident enough in my "strategist" side in this section.

I'm planning on spending 15 hours per week on this and retake the test in June.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 19:38
Hi CCLZA,

About 2 weeks ago, GMAC made a formal announcement defining some changes that will be taking place to the format of the Official GMAT (beginning April 16, 2018). These changes primarily impact the overall length of the Exam (meaning the number of questions in the Quant and Verbal sections as well as the amount of time that you’ll have to complete each of those two sections). In theory, a shorter Exam could make it easier for a well-prepared Test Taker to score higher. Unfortunately, Official practice CATs in the new 'format' don't exist yet - but once they become available, you should plan to take one (so that we can get a better sense of how you perform under these new conditions).

Given what you've described about your studies so far, there may be some issues with your Quant knowledge and/or 'precision' (meaning the physical work that you do on the pad as you attempt each Quant question). Beyond the need to shift to more of a 'strategic mindset', I suspect that you actually know most of the necessary math formulas/rules just fine, but you're making too many little mistakes on 'gettable' questions. As such, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month - but you should NOT try to 'rush' through any of that material. Your goal should be to learn and practice the proper Tactics (again-and-again), so that the work becomes straight-forward and 'automatic.' We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Tired of this process   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2018, 19:38

Tired of this process

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR APRIL
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until April 30
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap