GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 01:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To apply through The Consortium, or not?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
To apply through The Consortium, or not?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 16:10
I am debating on whether or not I want to apply to USC - Marshall and Tepper through The Consortium's common application... or just to submit their school's application. As my first choice for schools is USC, I don't want to appear lazy or anything by applying using the Consortium's common application. I will, nevertheless, be completing the Consortium's application to apply to some other schools. Does anyone have any advice on which route would be the most beneficial for admission?
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To apply through The Consortium, or not?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 17:12
elleesie wrote:
I am debating on whether or not I want to apply to USC - Marshall and Tepper through The Consortium's common application... or just to submit their school's application. As my first choice for schools is USC, I don't want to appear lazy or anything by applying using the Consortium's common application. I will, nevertheless, be completing the Consortium's application to apply to some other schools. Does anyone have any advice on which route would be the most beneficial for admission?

Why do you think you would appear lazy by applying through the Consortium's common application? Schools have no such perception of Consortium applicants. They actually encourage people who have demonstrated commitment to the Consortium's mission to apply via that application. Plus you would be considered for Consortium membership and a full-tuition fellowship if you're admitted. Unless a school has an Early Decision round that you'd prefer to apply in vs. Consortium's R1 I don't see the downside at all.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 17:26
You would be foolish not to apply through the consortium. If you can demonstrate that you fit in their application criteria, it would be foolish for you not to at least try to apply through them.
For the same fee, you can apply at USC, UCLA, and four other schools. If you know someone at USC, let's say a wife/husband/father in law who graduated from there, you can mention that in your
application that USC makes you fill out online, helping your application out a bit, and who know's, you might be accepted, and be awarded a fellowship through the consortium.

Or, If the fellowship is meaningless and you come from a wealthy background, and or most likely you won't be paying for it, Employer or Parents/Grandparents, you shouldn't apply. Guy's like me, Need that scholarship and are willing to do the work. If you don't need it, you shouldn't apply through them. Someone that really needs it can be awarded that fellowship.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 23:11
cheetarah1980 wrote:
elleesie wrote:

Why do you think you would appear lazy by applying through the Consortium's common application? Schools have no such perception of Consortium applicants. They actually encourage people who have demonstrated commitment to the Consortium's mission to apply via that application. Plus you would be considered for Consortium membership and a full-tuition fellowship if you're admitted. Unless a school has an Early Decision round that you'd prefer to apply in vs. Consortium's R1 I don't see the downside at all.

Thanks cheetarah for the reply! It's not necessarily that I think that I would appear lazy. I just didn't really know what to think. Thanks for the information, though. I guess my final decision comes to when I decide to apply. USC's deadline for Round 1 is November 1st, while Consortium's Round 1 is November 15th. I wonder if that would really make a difference. :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 23:20
laythesmack23 wrote:
You would be foolish not to apply through the consortium. If you can demonstrate that you fit in their application criteria, it would be foolish for you not to at least try to apply through them.
For the same fee, you can apply at USC, UCLA, and four other schools. If you know someone at USC, let's say a wife/husband/father in law who graduated from there, you can mention that in your
application that USC makes you fill out online, helping your application out a bit, and who know's, you might be accepted, and be awarded a fellowship through the consortium.

Or, If the fellowship is meaningless and you come from a wealthy background, and or most likely you won't be paying for it, Employer or Parents/Grandparents, you shouldn't apply. Guy's like me, Need that scholarship and are willing to do the work. If you don't need it, you shouldn't apply through them. Someone that really needs it can be awarded that fellowship.

Thanks for your advice. Maybe my lack of confidence in the whole thing stems from being considered for Consortium membership, although I do fit into their application criteria. Like you, I do need any form of financial assistance and would be overjoyed if I was awarded the Consortium fellowship. While I do plan on applying to a few "reach" schools that are out of state, added costs for living expenses will realistically prevent me from attending unless I am offered financial awards. I will definitely take what you said into consideration. :) Thanks, again.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 23:33
elleesie wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
elleesie wrote:

Thanks cheetarah for the reply! It's not necessarily that I think that I would appear lazy. I just didn't really know what to think. Thanks for the information, though. I guess my final decision comes to when I decide to apply. USC's deadline for Round 1 is November 1st, while Consortium's Round 1 is November 15th. I wonder if that would really make a difference. :)

The schools know how to handle when the Consortium deadline doesn't align with the Round 1 or Round 2 deadline. It doesn't make a difference to how your application is reviewed. Some schools review apps and render decisions during each Consortium round (Johnson) while others combine all Consortium apps into R2 and announce decisions of admission and fellowship awards in March (Ross). I don't know if USC is a split round or combined rounds school.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2012, 10:53
As one who didn't have the option of applying through the Consortium, I'd highly recommend you take advantage of your ability to do so. I think it's a considerable opportunity and saves you a ton of time and energy that would otherwise be diverted to multiple schools.
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 02:21
ebonn101 wrote:
As one who didn't have the option of applying through the Consortium, I'd highly recommend you take advantage of your ability to do so. I think it's a considerable opportunity and saves you a ton of time and energy that would otherwise be diverted to multiple schools.

No doubt! Three essays, six schools. BAM!
Plus it becomes muuuuuuuuch cheaper to hire your consultant :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 05:12
JonAdmissionado wrote:
ebonn101 wrote:

No doubt! Three essays, six schools. BAM!
Plus it becomes muuuuuuuuch cheaper to hire your consultant :)

I think folks have the wrong idea about the Consortium common app. It is hardly 3 essays that can cover up to six schools. Each school has supplemental essays in addition to the two essays from the common app. They also have their own (albeit shorter) application page as well. Some schools are merciful and only add 1-2 additional essay questions. But I have seen some schools add 3-4. Depending on which schools you choose applying through the Consortium can be just as much work as applying through the traditional application process.

Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2012, 03:13
True that... But still, it usually ends up being significantly less than when the folks apply for all the schools seperately..

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 08:45
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: To apply through The Consortium, or not? &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jan 2018, 08:45

To apply through The Consortium, or not?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap