Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:14 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [14]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28578 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive since th [#permalink]
To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive since the number of customers served by such cable lines would be too small for the cable company to make a profit. Microwave cable service is a good alternative for use in remote areas because the signal is sent through the air and cables are unnecessary. However, microwave cable service should not become standard practice in non-remote areas, because the long-term effects of microwaves are not known.
Premises:
Lay cables- expensive
Microwave-sent through air-no cable needed-less expensive.
"May be" Harmful for non remote areas.(as it suggested that it should not become a standard practice in non remote areas, we can infer that the effect of the microwaves is more on the non remote areas)

Initial conclusion:
since we the cable is expensive we are using microwave for remote areas but it might not be safe for non remote areas.. so conclusion drawn for something related to remote areas.

Now search for an airtight conclusion

Which of the following is the best conclusion to the statements above?

a. Microwave technology should be regulated by the government indefinitely.(irrelevant)

b. Residents of remote areas must take precautions to mitigate the potential danger of microwaves.(there's no specific harm mentioned for the remote residents)

c. Most residents of non-remote areas will not want to change their existing service to microwave service.(irrelevant because the argument doesn't give any premise for willingness of the residents to change the service.)

d. Microwave cable service is safe enough for use in remote areas.(from the inference we can see that there is less effect of microwaves on remote areas)

e. Microwaves are potentially more dangerous in urban areas than in suburban areas.(the argument doesn't give any premise related to urban or suburban areas, however we can assume that based on the population density of the urban areas the option should be valid. But the effect of microwaves can equally dangerous in both the areas.. who knows!)

I find options E to strongly compete to be the right answer, however we have to make an assumption about the population density and the effect of microwaves on different conditions present in the urban and suburban areas which seems to not be an airtight conclusion.

Hence option D

This is my approach to the question.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive since th [#permalink]
Here are my 2 cents:

For this question type we need to select a conclusion which sums up the idea of the mentioned argument.

"However, microwave cable service should not become standard practice in non-remote areas, because the long-term effects of microwaves are not known."

The bold part implies that either cable service is better in remote areas or in non-remote areas it holds a problem.

Let us know have a look at the answer options

a. Microwave technology should be regulated by the government indefinitely. -> Not mentioned in the argument.

b. Residents of remote areas must take precautions to mitigate the potential danger of microwaves. -> No potential dangers are mentioned in the passage.

c. Most residents of non-remote areas will not want to change their existing service to microwave service. -> This is just a part of the argument and cannot be the conclusion. Out

d. Microwave cable service is safe enough for use in remote areas -> Correct Answer( as discussed earlier)

e. Microwaves are potentially more dangerous in urban areas than in suburban areas. -> Nothing mentioned about suburban areas.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive since the number of customers served by such cable lines would be too small for the cable company to make a profit. Microwave cable service is a good alternative for use in remote areas because the signal is sent through the air and cables are unnecessary. However, microwave cable service should not become standard practice in non-remote areas, because the long-term effects of microwaves are not known.

Which of the following is the best conclusion to the statements above?

So Microwaves is an alternative to standard cable lines for residents living in remote areas, however using same technology in non-remote areas is not safe. what can be concluded?

a. Microwave technology should be regulated by the government indefinitely. (out of scope. not mentioned.)

b. Residents of remote areas must take precautions to mitigate the potential danger of microwaves. ( out of scope. there is no danger for residents living in remote areas.

c. Most residents of non-remote areas will not want to change their existing service to microwave service. ( i cant conclude that for most of residents. out of scope.)

d. Microwave cable service is safe enough for use in remote areas. ( yep, i can conclude this based on info below. Microwave cable service is a good alternative for use in remote areas, however microwave cable service should not become standard practice in non-remote areas, because the long-term effects of microwaves are not known.

e. Microwaves are potentially more dangerous in urban areas than in suburban areas. (suburban areas are not mentioned so out of scope.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts