GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

TOEFL or IELTS ? Which to take ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
TOEFL or IELTS ? Which to take ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 03:12
Should I take the TOEFL or IELTS test ? Are you confused ? Let me help you clarify the confusion.

IF you are planning for a university education, the first thing you need to check is whether the universities are accepting TOEFL or IELTS ? Based on which you can decide the test you wan’t to take. Every university has their minimum score requirements for admission.

Check for the test center location, if it’s nearby it saves you a lot of time & energy.

If university entrance is the motive, choose the test based on the university you’re opting in.

If you’re not planning to attend universities, but only planning to move to another country, the General Training paper that IELTS offers is probably much more suitable for your needs.

Let me cover the Similarities between the tests -

Both tests the four main language skills: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
They are both standardized tests which actually means that the scores are consistent throughout the world.
There is not much difference in price either, with both costing between $150 and $250 dollars depending on where the test is taken.

Followed by the differences between the tests -

Let us Compare every test section -

Speaking-
This is probably the biggest difference between the two tests.
In the IELTS test you will talk to a real person and in the TOEFL test you will speak to a computer!
Some people find talking to a computer quite strange while others might prefer it. It comes down to personal preference.

Writing-
The TOEFL test is totally a. internet based test,(except some areas) for which you will type everything on a keyboard, but for IELTS you have option to write on paper or take online. If you are not comfortable with computers, then IELTS has the option to write on paper.

Listening-

When it comes to IELTS vs TOEFL for the listening test, the main differences is the length of the test, context, question type and accent.
The TOEFL listening duration is longer than the IELTS listening.
The TOEFL listening duration is for 60 mins, but the IELTS listening is for 30 mins.

Reading-
The two main differences here are question types and context.
The TOEFL test is multiple choice only but the IELTS test has a wide range of question types.
If your comfortable with multiple choice then TOEFL might be the test for you, but some people feel that a range of question types gives them a better chance of getting a high score.

TOEFL has only academic texts available, but with IELTS you can choose either the Academic paper or the non-academic one- that is the General Training paper.

IF you answer “YES” to most of the following questions, you should take the TOEFL test -

I find American accents easy to listen to.
I like multiple choice questions.
I prefer reading and listening in an academic context.
I can concentrate for long periods of time.
I prefer talking to a computer.
I am good at typing.
I can easily follow a lecture and take notes.
I am comfortable with computers.

IF you answer “YES” to most of the following questions, you should take the IELTS test -

I like talking directly to people.
I don’t like multiple choice questions.
I don’t like reading or listening to academic contexts.
I’m comfortable to write by hand, than typing on computers.
I can understand a variety of English-speaking accents.
I prefer shorter tests.
I prefer a range of questions.
I find it difficult to concentrate for long periods of time.

I hope this helps you to take the right decision.

EDUSYNCH - Free Adaptive Training for English Language Proficiency Exams
Now, Get a complete full length 4-hour TOEFL® simulation on mobile with certified evaluators.
Edusynch launches the CEFR level test with reputed BEC certified evaluation. Get it now, with an Introductory offer @20%.
Get the App - EduSynch TOEFL® Prep - Android Apps on Google Play

Intern
Intern
B
Re: TOEFL or IELTS ? Which to take ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 02:08
Generally speaking:

IELTS is usually for universities in Australia, UK, Europe.
TOEFL is usually for universities in Canada, USA.
However, in recent years, there seems to be a more widespread acceptance in IELTS. Universities in Canada are starting to accept IELTS too.

So, which exam should you choose to take?

The best way is to pick the university and check their requirements. Some accept only one of them, most accept both exams these days.

For universities which accept both exams, of course you want to choose the one where you can get higher score in!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: TOEFL or IELTS ? Which to take ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 09:55
Yes, you are right. As far as I have researched, nowadays most of the American universities accept IELTS, with every University having their own score requirements for obvious reasons.

So, I guess now one can find out which one is easier for one and decide accordingly.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: TOEFL or IELTS ? Which to take ?   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 09:55

TOEFL or IELTS ? Which to take ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap