GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

January 21, 2019

January 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

Tom maintained that his scholastic record was better or at least as go

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Tom maintained that his scholastic record was better or at least as go  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 11:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (00:50) correct 45% (00:43) wrong based on 120 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tom maintained that his scholastic record was better or at least as good as hers.

(A) was better or at least as good as hers
(B) at its least was as good as hers
(C) was as good or better than hers
(D) was better or at least as good as her scholastic record
(E) was better than or at least as good as hers
Orion Representative
S
Re: Tom maintained that his scholastic record was better or at least as go  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 17:57
Top Contributor
This one is testing the idiomatic structure of common comparisons. Your main comparison structures are:

1) Better than / greater than / taller than / faster than, etc. Basically if you have an -er comparative adjective, you want to find a "than" to complete the structure. (Also note that less than, worse than, etc. fit this...it doesn't *have* to have an -er but most do)

2) As many as / as much as / as good as / as bad as, etc. Basically if you start a comparison with "as" you need to finish it with "as" - it either shows equality (I have as much money as you do) or it can show orders of magnitude (Jeff Bezos has 100,000 times as much money as I do)

3) Tall compared to / fast compared to, etc. If you want to use "compared to" you can only use a simple adjective, not a comparative adjective. You can say that I'm tall compared to my wife because I may or may not be tall, but in the context of comparing me to her I am. If you say "taller compared to" that's redundant - "compared to" and "-er" both express that a comparison is being drawn.

Now...in this case there are really two comparison structures, #1 ("better than") and #2 ("as good as"). Note that (A), (C), and (D) each omit a "closing" word of one of the two comparisons - you're either missing a second "as" to complete "as good as" or you're missing the "than" that needs to be paired with "better." And then (B) uses a strange meaning...to say "its scholastic record at its least" puts a strange quantifier on "scholastic record" at a specific point in time, but you're then not doing that with "hers." Plus scholastic record isn't really a numerical item...if you said "GPA" you'd be able to say "at its least" (grade point average is a number that changes over time) but you'd still need to put a time frame on hers (e.g. "than hers at its best") to have a parallel comparison.

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
S
Re: Tom maintained that his scholastic record was better or at least as go  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 05:37
Tom maintained that his scholastic record was better or at least as good as hers.

(A) was better or at least as good as hers --> "than" after "better" is missing
(B) at its least was as good as hers --> at its least ??
(C) was as good or better than hers--> "as" after "as good" is missing
(D) was better or at least as good as her scholastic record--> "than" after "better" is missing
(E) was better than or at least as good as hers --> correct
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tom maintained that his scholastic record was better or at least as go &nbs [#permalink] 07 Jan 2019, 05:37

Tom maintained that his scholastic record was better or at least as go

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap