GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 14:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Too scared to write my first mock after preparation!Please help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.23
CAT Tests
Too scared to write my first mock after preparation!Please help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 12:53
Hi tutors,
I have been preparing for the GMAT since November.As of now I have completed OG(V+Q), OG VR (SC) . I have prepared quite intensely since the past 4 months. But I don't know why I am too scared to write my mock .I have been procrastinating it since the past 10 days.My Exam is booked on April 30. Please advice me to fight this unusual fear of mine.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Too scared to write my first mock after preparation!Please help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 20:17
sahilsnpt wrote:
Hi tutors,
I have been preparing for the GMAT since November.As of now I have completed OG(V+Q), OG VR (SC) . I have prepared quite intensely since the past 4 months. But I don't know why I am too scared to write my mock .I have been procrastinating it since the past 10 days.My Exam is booked on April 30. Please advice me to fight this unusual fear of mine.
There are very few things to be afraid of. Maybe you'll use one practice test (out of 6 GMATPrep tests, if that is the test you're planning to take). Maybe you'll get a lower score than you expected. Maybe you'll lose some time (that you could have spent on other things).

For the first one, very few people will be able to do well on the actual test without taking at least a few practice tests prior to their appointment. Given that your practice tests are going to prepare you for the real thing, whether you allow yourself to get that learning now, as opposed to later, is your call. The alternative is to give yourself less time to make any necessary adjustments in your approach.

For the second, if you get a lower score than you expected: (a) again, very few people perform to their true potential on their first practice test, and (b) no school is going to see your score. Seeing a low score with 50 days to go is a lot better than seeing a low score with 10 days to go.

The only thing left that I can think of is the opportunity cost: those 3-4 hours could be better spent. That's something only you can evaluate.

Is there something else on your mind that's holding you back from taking your first practice test?

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Too scared to write my first mock after preparation!Please help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 20:36
Hi sahilsnpt,

If you've been studying consistently for 4 months, then you really MUST take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). That initial diagnostic CAT is important - it helps to define your strengths and weaknesses and gives you a basis for comparison as you continue to study. Most Test Takers are not happy with that first CAT result, but that's not a big deal - you'll use your remaining study time to improve on that performance. Until we have some type of realistic score result to use as reference, we'll have no idea how ready you actually are to take the GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 22:26
Hi sahilsnpt, if you are scared of taking a mock test, wonder what your frame of mind will be, when you are about to take the actual test!

To me, this is a sign that you have to get mentally tough and prepare yourself for the actual day.

You don't do well on exams like JEE/CAT, and your entire year gets wasted. However, GMAT is one of those few exams that does give a second chance (and a third and a fourth as well, all within the same year!).

So, this alone is a reason why you should not let your stress levels eclipse your potential in the exam.

Give at least 4-5 mock tests and try to pretend that this was the real exam. That way, you would be better prepared for the D-day.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 13:22
sahilsnpt wrote:
Hi tutors,

I understand the feeling. But the point of taking practice tests isn't to predict the future or to judge you. It's to give you data. Think about it like a scientist would: you want to know what your strengths and weaknesses are before you continue studying, because otherwise, how do you know you're studying the right things?

The other reason is to practice doing GMAT tasks in a 'test environment'. If your first attempt at doing a full-length test is on test day, you'll be surprised by how different it is from just practicing problems one by one. You don't want that to be a surprise! There's also something called the 'testing effect' - regularly testing yourself on what you've learned (for instance, by doing a practice test) makes you more likely to remember it accurately later.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 03:17
I don’t think you need to get worried so much . And what you are facing right now , lot of others also face .

Calm your nerves , go ahead , give the actual test .

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: Too scared to write my first mock after preparation!Please help   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2018, 03:17

Too scared to write my first mock after preparation!Please help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap