Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Took Diagonostics Test of Official GMAC without prep - 570 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi SAARGMAT,

To answer your first question, yeah I think that 570 is a very solid baseline score. I also see that you already have some GMAT resources, but would you like some general advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills? In the meantime, you may find it helpful to read the following articles:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

Developing the Proper Mindset For GMAT Success
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SAARGMAT,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you'll actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Based on your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT and your overall Score Goal, you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Business Schools generally do not care if you take the GMAT more than once - but obviously doing so would require that you invest some additional time, money and effort into the process. All things considered, training now with the goal of taking the GMAT just once would likely help you to stay more focused on the task at hand.

From what you describe, your immediate study plan is 'book heavy'; unfortunately, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. There's no harm in starting off your studies in that fashion, but you'll likely end up needing to invest in some additional, non-book resources at some point. If you'd prefer to work with the study materials that you currently have, then I suggest that you study as you like for the next 2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT - and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here (or you can PM me directly) and we can discuss the results and how you might adjust your studies going forward.

1) Assuming that you'll be studying for the next 3 months, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) Do you have a list of Schools in mind that you want to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi SAARGMAT,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you'll actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Based on your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT and your overall Score Goal, you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Business Schools generally do not care if you take the GMAT more than once - but obviously doing so would require that you invest some additional time, money and effort into the process. All things considered, training now with the goal of taking the GMAT just once would likely help you to stay more focused on the task at hand.

From what you describe, your immediate study plan is 'book heavy'; unfortunately, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. There's no harm in starting off your studies in that fashion, but you'll likely end up needing to invest in some additional, non-book resources at some point. If you'd prefer to work with the study materials that you currently have, then I suggest that you study as you like for the next 2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT - and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here (or you can PM me directly) and we can discuss the results and how you might adjust your studies going forward.

1) Assuming that you'll be studying for the next 3 months, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) Do you have a list of Schools in mind that you want to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich,

1) I am thinking about putting in like 28-35 hours every week. So 4-5h a day

2) Yes the GMAT I would need for the top schools is 720 and 680 for the second choices

Why do you think that I could need additional courses? I mean my base score is quite high for not studying at all. So given I put 350 total hours in I should be able to hit 700+. With analysisi of mistakes and an error log.

I will report back when I have new scores. I think I will take the next one on monday.

Best,
SAARGMAT

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi SAARGMAT,

Based on your Score Goal(s), I assume that you are interested in applying to some highly-competitive Programs and/or applying for Scholarships. If that is the case, then you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement.

There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Took Diagonostics Test of Official GMAC without prep - 570 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi SAARGMAT

It seems like you are just beginning with the preparation. Before we delve into strategies to improve Quant and Verbal, you must
    • Set a Target Score
    • Make a study plan to reach that target score

Doing this will make your preparation focused on the target which is the most efficient way to study. A study plan would also help you estimate the amount of time you would need to study and thereby when to plan the test.

We have helped more than 25,000 people in last 1 year in achieving their target of a good GMAT score. Maximum people attributed their success to the structured process which we suggested them. I suggest you break your preparation into 3 stages and follow the below plan:
    Stage – 1 --> Learn the concepts
    Stage – 2 --> Cement the concepts by practicing a sub-section in Isolation
    Stage – 3 --> Become test ready (practicing all the sub-sections together)

Prawee (550 to 740) used all the books and local coaching classes but was unable to improve her GMAT score beyond a certain point. She changed her approach and finally scored 740 in her 5th attempt and got a $180,000 fellowship cumulatively from 3 top business schools. She is currently pursuing MBA from Kellogg. Kellogg was once not even on her radar.

7 Steps – How to score 700+ on the GMAT

Hope the above strategy get you to your target score

Karan
e-GMAT Strategy Expert
GMAT Club Bot
Took Diagonostics Test of Official GMAC without prep - 570 [#permalink]