Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-02-2012
GPA: 3.75
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entraprenurial
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Took the test today - 720 [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks guys!

My target schools are the likes of UCLA, USC , NYU etc.. Still thinking whether i should take the test again or not. Now that i have taken the test once, a 740 looks pretty achievable. I want to be sure that the current score will suffice for my target schools. I also happen to be in the most competitive cohort - Indian IT Male - and will be 31 on matriculation. Will a 740 help me cover for any of these downsides? Any advice on whether I should retake the test will be appreciated.

I will update the initial post soon with more details on strategy and prep material used.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
read here before you decide: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?fl=menu

Personally, I would not recommend a retake. Now that you have hit 720, it seems to make more sense spending your time and resources improving other areas of your application. There is no guarantee that you will score higher, in fact with your Q47 V41 some others have rcvd 710s. So even if you score the same scaled scores, you might score lower overall. So I would take your 720 (which is above average for ALL schools you are considering applying to) and now spend your time on other areas. You have achieved what you need to achieve. Spending another month only hoping to SLIGHTLY improve will not be worth your time. I would only recommend a retake if you are SURE that you can score a 750 or above, if you HAVE to have a scholarship, or you are completely comfortable with all other areas of your application.

It is very easy to want a higher score. Even guys scoring 770 want that 800. Plus, with your Q47, you have reached high enough into quant that any school will be happy with that.

Congrats on the great score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Congratulations on that top score dreambeliever. I also agree with papaschango, that you should not worry about a retake, but instead focus on putting out a very strong application profile as well as essays. Good luck putting out the applications you should be fine with the schools you have chosen.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entraprenurial
Send PM
Kudos
hi dreambeliever,

can you explain what does "31 on matriculation" means...are you referring to your age...
If I'm inferring correctly...I'm 33, so my chances of getting accepted are reduced????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
To the O.P. : congrats on the great score
With a score of 720 ,I think USC should not be a problem at all even with the Indian Male IT profile
Again as others said, your entire profile matters the most.

clicker wrote:
hi dreambeliever,

can you explain what does "31 on matriculation" means...are you referring to your age...
If I'm inferring correctly...I'm 33, so my chances of getting accepted are reduced????

Unfortunately yes and no.
there have been a number of discussions about this :
age-30-does-it-affect-your-admit-chances-123236.html

does-age-matter-for-an-mba-129703.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts