GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 14:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Top US Business School - Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Top US Business School - Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 14:03
Hi guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on my chances for top US b-schools:

Ethnic Background & Age: White male, 25

School: Top Canadian (Ivey/Queens)
GPA: 3.95/4.00 (90%), Top 10% of Graduating Glass
GMAT: 750

Work Experience: 4 years in corporate development (M&A) for a Big 3 Canadian telecom company. Promoted three times (Analyst, Manager, Senior Manager) and worked/closed several $100-$500MM+ deals. Extensive involvement with volunteer & NFP programs run by the organization.
-An individual who previously served in this role went to (Booth/Columbia/MIT)
References: Head of Corporate Development (25+ year industry veteran); CFO. Very well-written and supportive.

Extracurricular Involvement: - Founder/CEO of NFP dedicated to raising funds/awareness for a marginalized community. Raised over $150k+ funds, held annual events/challenges to raise funds & awareness (swimming across Lake, climbing mountain -- stuff along those lines).
-Alumni involvement. Involved in alumni organizations and mentorship of current university students. Spoke at my alma mater for students interested in F500/M&A/telecom careers. Expanded internship & new hire program to include more students from my alma mater.
-Assisted with the organization and execution of political campaign for a local candidate. Unsuccessful (did not win riding).
-University: Varsity athlete (not captain), ran my NFP, analyst on investment club, head of business school's student government (600+ students) VP Finance for a large club (500+ members)

Awards: Academic All-Canadian, NFP-related award, an award from work, few smaller accolades -- nothing major

Goals: Want to do corporate development/strategy at top U.S. TMT company (Google/Disney/21st Century Fox/)
Target Schools: HSB, GSB, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, Kellog, Sloan,

Please let me know what you think my chances are, thanks :)
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Top US Business School - Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 04:59
You have a great profile and it hits the sweet spot on many basic - top GPA, great GMAT, strong work-ex and extracurricular, young age.

I think you will have a good chance at all the top schools. Key to your success will be to convince them WHY you need the MBA.. and also make sure you network well with the school to make it clear that you really want to go there.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum

Application Journey - From zero admits to 4 T15 offers | GMAT Debrief - 770 (Q49,V47)

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member
Re: Top US Business School - Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 15:05
IveyMonkey wrote:
Hi guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on my chances for top US b-schools:

Ethnic Background & Age: White male, 25

School: Top Canadian (Ivey/Queens)
GPA: 3.95/4.00 (90%), Top 10% of Graduating Glass
GMAT: 750

Work Experience: 4 years in corporate development (M&A) for a Big 3 Canadian telecom company. Promoted three times (Analyst, Manager, Senior Manager) and worked/closed several $100-$500MM+ deals. Extensive involvement with volunteer & NFP programs run by the organization.
-An individual who previously served in this role went to (Booth/Columbia/MIT)
References: Head of Corporate Development (25+ year industry veteran); CFO. Very well-written and supportive.

Extracurricular Involvement: - Founder/CEO of NFP dedicated to raising funds/awareness for a marginalized community. Raised over $150k+ funds, held annual events/challenges to raise funds & awareness (swimming across Lake, climbing mountain -- stuff along those lines).
-Alumni involvement. Involved in alumni organizations and mentorship of current university students. Spoke at my alma mater for students interested in F500/M&A/telecom careers. Expanded internship & new hire program to include more students from my alma mater.
-Assisted with the organization and execution of political campaign for a local candidate. Unsuccessful (did not win riding).
-University: Varsity athlete (not captain), ran my NFP, analyst on investment club, head of business school's student government (600+ students) VP Finance for a large club (500+ members)

Awards: Academic All-Canadian, NFP-related award, an award from work, few smaller accolades -- nothing major

Goals: Want to do corporate development/strategy at top U.S. TMT company (Google/Disney/21st Century Fox/)
Target Schools: HSB, GSB, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, Kellog, Sloan,

Please let me know what you think my chances are, thanks :)

Hello IveyMonkey

Nice nick :)

Yes I am familiar with Ivey and Queens business schools.

Congrats on GPA and especially on awesome GMAT score :clap:

Average GMAT score of admitted students in all schools from your list is around 730.

Your work experience is commendable and facts you presented about people who were on same position previously tells you will join them at Ivy League or similar school :cool:

Extracurricular activities falls in same category as above.

All in all , you have great chances, you will earn interview in most of the schools if not all on your list, and I expect you to be admitted to if not all of them, then vast majority of them.

If you arranged them in order of preference then you will choose between HSB & GSB ;)

Good Luck :geek: :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Top US Business School - Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2019, 15:05

Top US Business School - Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: DigitsnLetters

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap