Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [105]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [57]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [7]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31946 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: A cricketer trying to predict the outcome of the one day world cup mat [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
A cricketer trying to predict the outcome of the one day world cup match in 1996 between the experienced Pakistan and the upstart Bangladesh, probably would have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong

A. have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong

B. have chosen that it would be the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and be quite wrong

C. choose the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong

D. choose the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and be quite wrong

E. choose in favor of the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong

Hi,

would Vs would have...
Here 'would have ' is appropriate...
'would have' is a past modal verbs used hypothetically, to talk about things that didn't really happen in the past...
the cricketer would have done the act of thinking of future/outcome of the game prior to start of the game..

so A and B are left..
Both do not seem to be perfect or even very close to being correct..

A. have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong...
here the flaw..
i) been is parallel to chosen...
so the sentence reads.. a cricketer would have chosen.... and been quite wrong......
I think the cricketer would be wrong only after he has chosen but the sentence shows the simultaenous and independent activities..

A. have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong
i) use of ambiguous 'it'
ii) same as in A..

the main flaw is .. "probabily he would have chosen..... but he cannot "probabily be quite wrong" because the event is up and we know he is wrong...."

the sentence could have been better if written...
A cricketer.............................., would have probabily chosen ..... and would have quite wrong by doing so.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE:Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A cricketer trying to predict the outcome of the one day world cup mat [#permalink]
Kudos
Why B? Experts, please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Kudos
Dear sir/madam,

Please explain why it is not A and what must one look for while solving such questions.

I have seen that some other questions of the same type have answers with "been" replacing "be" in the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
A cricketer trying to predict the outcome of the one day world cup mat [#permalink]
Question tells an event that occurred in past. So it cannot use would choose, something refering to in future.

Clearly, C,D and E are out.

B is extremely messy : "that it would be the then" is ridiculously awkward. Also, would be wrong and would have chosen are two different tenses(one in future and the other is in past).

Option A describes would have chosen and would have been quite wrong correctly. No sentence issues in answer choice A.

A is the correct choice.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts