Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [25]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [5]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [5]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Re: If there are sentient beings on planets outside our solar system, we [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Conclusion: If there are sentient beings OUTSIDE the solar system, we will not be able to determine their existence unless they are atleast as intelligent as Humans. In others words, author concludes that "intelligence atleast equal to those of humans" is a NECESSARY condition to find such sentient beings

Author cites two premises
a) Because humans will not be venturing out of the solar system in the near future.
b) Any sentient being capable of communicating should be atleast as intelligent as humans are. Hmm...so intelligence atleast equal to that of humans is a NECESSARY condition for communication (please note that it is a necessary condition not a sufficient one). If beings with intelligence => that of humans don't wish to communicate or are incapable to communicate, this premise still holds

Lets examine the answer choices:

(A) There are no sentient beings on planets in our solar system other than those on Earth.
The argument addresses sentient being outside the solar system. so this is out of scope

(B) Any beings that are at least as intelligent as humans would want to communicate with sentient beings outside their own solar systems.
This assumption is not required at all. Premise B entails that intelligence = > humans is a necessary condition. we don't require this to be a sufficient condition for the argument to hold. In other words, if an intelligent beings don't wish to communicate, it still doesn't hurt the condition that they wouldn't be able to communicate had they not been as intelligent as humans (on which the argument relies)

(C) If there is a sentient being on another planet that is as intelligent as humans are, we will not be able to send spacecraft to the being’s planet anytime in the near future.
Already stated in the stimulus.

(D) If a sentient being on another planet cannot communicate with us, then the only way to detect its existence is by sending a spacecraft to its planet.
This is it. If there is another way to communicate, then the premises of the argument (premise A and premise B) are not sufficient to lead to the conclusion.

(E) Any sentient beings on planets outside our solar system that are at least as intelligent as humans would be capable of communicating with us.
This is very similar to choice B. We don't want Premise B to be a sufficient condition to reach the conclusion. Lets negate this choice - any sentient beings...would NOT be able to communicate with us. intelligence = > humans is necessary to be able to communicate. if beings of such intelligence choose not to (as in choice B) or are not able to communicate at all (choice E) that still doesn't invalidate the Necessary condition(as stated in Premise B)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: If there are sentient beings on planets outside our solar system, we [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I am quite new to GMAT Club but have been teaching the GMAT and LSAT since most of my students were in preschool. I hope the following is not inappropriate. As a newbie, I’m not so sure.

Students need to be very careful about doing questions phrased like this, especially because it’s from an LSAT Logical Reasoning section. Specifically, LSAT preptest 62, section 4, number 18.

This question type doesn’t really exist in GMAT CR. “Really” is a weird term, I realize. But check it out...

For LSAT Logical Reasoning, this question type is known as a Sufficient Assumption, where the correct answer, when combined with the argument in the stimulus, creates a valid argument.

To paraphrase: The correct answer will guarantee/prove that the conclusion is true based on the evidence/premises. This different from a Necessary Assumption question.

Sufficient Assumption questions (unlike 95% of Necessary Assumption questions) will NOT contain a synonym for necessary (depends, relies, required). They will most often employ the phrase “if assumed”, along with “conclusion follows logically” or “enables the conclusion to be properly inferred”.

PLEASE fact check me (only OG material): for GMAT CR (unlike LSAT LR), any Sufficient Assumption question will be also be asking for a Necessary Assumption.

CR questions phrased as a Sufficient Assumption are extremely rare. If anyone ever sees such a question where the correct answer does not appear to be necessary, I would appreciate a notification. You’ll probably be wrong (heh), but perhaps I’m wrong (I’m not, though).

In other words, it’s entirely possible that a sufficient assumption will also be necessary. But this absolutely does not have to be the case.

For the GMAT, the correct answer to any assumption question will be a necessary assumption as shown by the negation test (beyond the scope of this reply).

But for the LSAT, the correct answer to many Sufficient Assumption questions will NOT be necessary (the negation test will be of no help).

Fortunately, in the case of #18, the correct answer is both sufficient and necessary. But again, this is definitely not always the case.

This is why students need to be careful about doing an LSAT Logical Reasoning. Several question types that look familiar actually do not show up on GMAT Critical Reasoning.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts