Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Evaluate Argumentx   Weakenx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [22]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [9]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This one is fairly straightforward. The correct answer - option E

Understanding the passage
- Multiple complaints about loud music at local pubs from residents
- Proposed Law: prohibit clubs located in residential areas from employing musical groups of more than 3 people

Conclusion to Weaken
The Law would be effective in reducing noise

Prethinking
What new information will reduce our belief in the above conclusion?

What if?
The Loudness of the music is not really related to the number of musicians (i.e. even without 4+ musicians, the music can be extremely loud (enough to warrant complaints))? Examples

1. Musical Groups of less than 3 people making as loud a noise
2. Equally Loud music being played by the owner(s) himself/herself (pre-recorded music rather than from a musician)

Then, it will reduce our belief in the notion that by prohibiting employment of musical groups of >3 people, noise will reduce.

Weakener: Any statement that indicates that music played by groups of less than 3 is as loud if not more loud as that by >4 musicians

Option Choice Analysis
A. Groups that consist of more than three musicians are usually more expensive for clubs to hire than are groups that consist of fewer than three musicians.
Cost of hiring musicians is not relevant to the argument which is about the loudness/noise level of music

B. In towns that have passed similar laws, many clubs in residential areas have relocated to nonresidential areas.
Zero relevance to whether the plan here (which assumes that the pubs stay in the same residential locations) will work or not

C. Most of the complaints about the music have come from people who do not regularly attend the clubs.
Again irrelevant who the complainants are. The argument is about whether the plan will help reduce noise

D. Much of the music popular at the local clubs can be played only by groups of at least four musicians.
This is more of a STRENGTHENER rather than a weakener. The option tries to indicate that several of these local pubs may be hiring at least 4 musicians to ensure the music is popular, and we know that this music is too loud. In such a case, prohibition on such hiring may help as pubs may not be able to play this kind of music anymore. At best, it is a weak strengthener - definitely not a weakener.

E. Amplified music played by fewer than three musicians generally is as loud as amplified music played by more than three musicians.
Correct. As per prethinking. If this is true, then it reduces our belief that the plan (to prevent employment of >3 musicians) will work to reduce noise levels.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Harsha
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: After receiving numerous complaints from residents about loud, highly [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts