Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32892 [42]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33006 [6]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 420 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 420 [4]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: Island Museum analyzes historical artifacts using one or more techniqu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
1) Option D is right,since ICP M's detects the metallic isotopes present in the artifact,and this particular detection would depend on the place of extraction/creation so this can give us the evidence that the artifact was created in Kaxna
2)Yes, since it can be done per the budget
Yes, since it can be done per the budget
No,since it cannot be done per the budget (since the bracket is only upto 15 radiocarbon dating)
3)No, since for ICPMS timeline is not given
Yes, since for Radiocarbon timeframe is given
Yes,since for TL timeframe is given
4)No,since for IRMS we don't have any info about timeframe
Yes,since for TL timeframe is known
No,since for ICPMS place can be known,but not the time
5)No, since it cannot be done per the budget
Yes, since it can be done per the budget
Yes,since it can be done per the budget
6) A,Range of dates for the manufacture can be known since both Radiocarbon and TL provide information about the timeframe of creation

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Island Museum analyzes historical artifacts using one or more techniqu [#permalink]
Bookmarks
In Q3, why the date for “Bronze statue of a deer”’s creation cannot be obtained, doesn’t that we can use ICP-MS to trace its date???

also for Q2&Q5, we can infer from the statement

For outside laboratory tests, the museum’s first-year budget for the Kaxna collection allows unlimited IRMS testing, and a total of $7,000—equal to the cost of 4 TL tests plus 15 radiocarbon tests, or the cost of 40 ICP-MS tests—for all other tests. For each technique applied by an outside lab, the museum is charged a fixed price per artifact.

to present it in formula
TL ≦4 + radiocarbon ≦15
ICP-MS≦40

But after check the correct answer, I’m still really confused by what this statement says…????

Q2
TL ≦4 + radiocarbon ≦15
(4 fire-clay pots+20 wooden statues)

TL ≦4 + ICP-MS≦40
(2 fire-clay pots+10 bronze statues)
(3 fire-clay pots+5 tin implements)

Q5

radiocarbon ≦15+ ICP-MS≦40
(7 wooden statues and 20 metal implements)

So to sum up all these inequations, which one is correct???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
Send PM
Can anyone share your analysis on Q5?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Hi,
Can you anyone provide more details regarding how tackle this problem?
I see multiple options can answer this question.
Question #6
Among the Kaxna artifacts is a wooden box containing both a small fired-clay bead and some river sediment containing clay and plant matter. Based on the museum’s assumptions, which one of the following details about the bead can be determined by applying one of the tests in the manner described?

A. A range of dates for its manufacture
B. The Kaxna island on which it was made
C. Vegetation patterns near the workshop where it was made
D. A range of dates for its placement in the box
E. The source of clay used to make the bead
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have been confused by the 2nd option of question 2 and 2nd option of question 5. Now I finally figured and thought it could be helpful to share:

So the total budget is 7,000, for 4TL+15radio, or 40 ICP. We know that the unit price of ICP = 175 (7,000/40) but we do not know the exact unit price of TL or radio. However, when solving question 2: we could assume that the unit cost of TL maximal and cost of radio can be ignored, so that we have the maximal unit cost of TL = 7,000/4 = 1,750. 3TL = 1,750*3 = 5,250. So we still have $1,750 left after 3 TL (with maximal cost), and surely this can cover 5 ICP (175*5=875).

Same to question 5, we assume radio has maximal cost and the cost of TL can be ignored. So we have ratio cost = 7000 / 15 = 467. So we will spend 467*7 = 3,267 on testing the wooden statues. 3,733 is left for 20 ICP, enough (20*175 = 3,500 < 3,733)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 659
Schools: LBS MFA "23
Send PM
Apt0810 wrote:
Option D is correct since it talks about the ICP-MS technique, which is utilized to determine the ratios of traces of metallic isotopes present, which differ according to where the sample was obtained.

Posted from my mobile device

But it maybe possible that the metals are extracted from Kaxna but the artifact was made somewhere else
Or
maybe it was made somewhere else but later on brought to Kaxna
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi AndrewN For the 6th question

Given the question stem talks about "kaxna artifacts" -- can i then assume
(1) the clay used to make the small fired-clay beads was local clay (clay found at kaxna)
(2) the artifacts being discussed (small fired clay beads specifically) were produced locally on the kaxna islands and not perhaps imported from some where else ?

I thought both the above were true given the word "kaxna artifacts" but maybe I am wrong

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 29 Dec 2021, 17:56.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 29 Dec 2021, 18:28, edited 6 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
AndrewN - that is why i gravitated towards E for the 6th question.

I assumed the clay used for the small fired-clay bead was perhaps local clay (clay found at Kaxna)

This coupled with what is mentioned under the artifacts tab

Quote:
Researchers have mapped all the mines, quarries, and sources of clay on Kaxna

If
(a) Researchers have mapped all the sources of clay on Kaxna
(b) Kaxna local clay was used to make the small fired-clay bead

We should be able to get to the source of the clay used to make the small fired-clay bead
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi AndrewN For the 6th question

Given the question stem talks about "kaxna artifacts" -- can i then assume
(1) the clay used to make the small fired-clay beads was local clay (clay found at kaxna)
(2) the artifacts being discussed (small fired clay beads specifically) were produced locally on the kaxna islands and not perhaps imported from some where else ?

I thought both the above were true given the word "kaxna artifacts" but maybe I am wrong

jabhatta2 wrote:
AndrewN - that is why i gravitated towards E for the 6th question.

I assumed the clay used for the small fired-clay bead was perhaps local clay (clay found at Kaxna)

This coupled with what is mentioned under the artifacts tab

Quote:
Researchers have mapped all the mines, quarries, and sources of clay on Kaxna

If
(a) Researchers have mapped all the sources of clay on Kaxna
(b) Kaxna local clay was used to make the small fired-clay bead

We should be able to get to the source of the clay used to make the small fired-clay bead

Hello, jabhatta2. I think the problem with your interpretation stems from losing sight of the question itself, specifically the latter part:

Quote:
which one of the following details about the bead can be determined by applying one of the tests in the manner described?

Thus, we should be looking in the Techniques tab for information on what the different assays can reveal. Since the question stem refers to a small fired-clay bead, we need only look at the information on this type of object:

Quote:
Fired-clay objects: Thermoluminescence (TL) dating is used to provide an estimate of the time since clay was fired to create the object.

No answer can be defended other than (A), although (D) presents a nice little trap by also referring to time and mentioning the box in which the bead was found.

When it comes to IR, read the information carefully and stick to exactly what it says. Most questions can be navigated with ease the less you get into interpreting that information.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Send PM
Thank you AndrewN - You are right. I lose sight of the blue completely. Given the question is asking specifically

Quote:
"What can be determined by applying one of the tests in the manner described"

The question is -- what can i infer FROM THE TESTS specifically

I did lose sight of the blue part (the GMAT cleverly puts it RIGHT at the end)

From the 4 tests specifically (IRMS / ICP-MS / Radio carbon dating / TL testing) --> i dont believe you can figure out the source of the clay.

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 30 Dec 2021, 10:30.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 30 Dec 2021, 10:37, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
Just of curiousity AndrewN -- if the question stem WAS EVEN HARDER and instead -- can you make the following 'inferences'

In Question 6, Do you think E is a inference one can make in general (if you combined all the information from ALL 3 Tabs) ?

I dont think in that case too, E as an inference can be made because
1) We dont know if the clay used for the small fired-clay bead was local clay (clay from the kaxna island specifically)

Perhaps the clay used for making the small fired-clay bead was imported from another country.

This is important because per the 2nd tab -- Researches have mapped all the mines, quarries, and sources of clay on Kaxna

But if the clay itself was NOT FROM Kaxna, we cant figure out the source of clay.

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 30 Dec 2021, 10:36.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 30 Dec 2021, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
I see - Given the question is asking specifically

Quote:
"What can be determined by applying one of the tests in the manner described"

The question is -- what can i infer FROM THE TESTS specifically

I did lose sight of the blue part (the GMAT cleverly puts it RIGHT at the end)

From the 4 tests specifically (IRMS / ICP-MS / Radio carbon dating / TL testing) --> i dont believe you can figure out the source of the clay.

jabhatta2 wrote:
Just of curiousity -- if the question stem WAS EVEN HARDER and instead -- can you make the following inferences

Do you think E is a inference one can make in general (if you combined all the information from ALL 3 Tabs) ?

I dont think in that case too, E as an inference can be made because
1) We dont know if the clay used for the small fired-clay bead was local clay (clay from the kaxna island specifically)

Precisely. Now you have it. See if you can stick to this direct (less interpretive) method on subsequent IR questions. My guess is that your accuracy will increase and your timing will decrease.

Good luck.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Project IR Butler 2019-20 - Get one IR Question Everyday
Question # 04, Date : 04-Oct-2019
This post is a part of Project IR Butler 2019-20. Click here for Details

Techniques:
Island Museum analyzes historical artifacts using one or more techniques described below—all but one of which is performed by an outside laboratory—to obtain specific information about an object’s creation. For each type of material listed, the museum uses only the technique described:

Animal teeth or bones: The museum performs isotope ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) in-house to determine the ratios of chemical elements present, yielding clues as to the animal’s diet and the minerals in its water supply.

Metallic ores or alloys: Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) is used to determine the ratios of traces of metallic isotopes present, which differ according to where the sample was obtained.

Plant matter: While they are living, plants absorb carbon-14, which decays at a predictable rate after death; thus radiocarbon dating is used to estimate a plant’s date of death.

Fired-clay objects: Thermoluminescence (TL) dating is used to provide an estimate of the time since clay was fired to create the object.

Artifacts:
Island Museum has acquired a collection of metal, fired clay, stone, bone, and wooden artifacts found on the Kaxna Islands, and presumed to be from the Kaxna Kingdom of 1250–850 BC. Researchers have mapped all the mines, quarries, and sources of clay on Kaxna and know that wooden artifacts of that time were generally created within 2 years after tree harvest. There is, however, considerable uncertainty as to whether these artifacts were actually created on Kaxna.

In analyzing these artifacts, the museum assumes that radiocarbon dating is accurate to approximately ±200 years and TL dating is accurate to approximately ±100years.

Budget:
For outside laboratory tests, the museum’s first-year budget for the Kaxna collection allows unlimited IRMS testing, and a total of $7,000—equal to the cost of 4 TL tests plus 15 radiocarbon tests, or the cost of 40 ICP-MS tests—for all other tests. For each technique applied by an outside lab, the museum is charged a fixed price per artifact.

Question #1
Which one of the following pieces of information would, on its own, provide the strongest evidence that the given artifact was actually produced on Kaxna?

A. A radiocarbon date of 1050 BC for a wooden bowl
B. IRMS analysis of a necklace made from animal bones and teeth
C. A TL date for a fired-clay brick that places it definitively in the period of the Kaxna Kingdom
D. ICP-MS analysis of a metal tool that reveals element ratios unique to a mine on Kaxna
E. Determination that a stone statue was found near a quarry known to produce stone statues during the Kaxna Kingdom

Show SpoilerOfficial Explanation Q #1
OA: D
Options A and C provide information about the date of an artifact’s creation, but not about the location where the artifact was made. A radiocarbon date of 1050 BC for a wooden bowl (option A) implies that the tree from which the bowl was made was harvested during the years 1250–850 BC, the time period of the Kaxna Kingdom; but the bowl need not have been produced on Kaxna. Likewise, if TL dating establishes that a fired-clay artifact was produced during that period (option C), it cannot establish the location where it was made. In contrast, option E provides information about location, but since a statue found near a quarry need not have been made at that quarry, the evidence is not very strong.

Options B and D provide information about artifact element ratios. In option B, IRMS analysis of an artifact made of bones and teeth may reveal similarities between the element ratios of the artifact and the element ratios of similar artifacts known to be created on Kaxna, but additional research would be required to determine whether those element ratios were unique to Kaxna. But, in option D, ICP-MS analysis of a metal artifact reveals element ratios known to be unique to a mine on Kaxna, offering far stronger evidence that the artifact was made on Kaxna. Thus, option D offers the strongest evidence among the options listed.

Question #2
For each of the following combinations of Kaxna artifacts, select Yes if, based on the information provided, the cost of all pertinent techniques described can be shown to be within the museum's first-year Kaxna budget. Otherwise, select No.
Attachment:
Q.2.jpg

Show SpoilerOA Q #2
Attachment:
OA 2.jpg

Question #3
For each of the following artifacts in the museum’s Kaxna collection, select Yes if, based on the museum’s assumptions, a range of dates for the object’s creation can be obtained using one of the techniques in the manner described. Otherwise, select No.

YesNoValues
Bronze statue of a deer
Fired-clay pot
Wooden statue of a warrior

YesNoValues
Bronze statue of a deer
Fired-clay pot
Wooden statue of a warrior

Question #4
For each of the following results of tests performed on Kaxna artifacts, select Yes if, based on the museum’s assumptions, the result confirms that the artifact was created during the time of the Kaxna Kingdom. Otherwise, select No. Yes No

YesNoValues
Bone necklace shown by IRMS to have element
ratios characteristic of artifacts known to be from
the Kaxna Kingdom
Fired-clay jug dated to 1050 BC by TL dating
Copper box shown by ICP-MS to have the same
ratio of trace metals found in the copper mines of
Kaxna

YesNoValues
Bone necklace shown by IRMS to have element
ratios characteristic of artifacts known to be from
the Kaxna Kingdom
Fired-clay jug dated to 1050 BC by TL dating
Copper box shown by ICP-MS to have the same
ratio of trace metals found in the copper mines of
Kaxna

Question #5
For each of the following combinations of Kaxna artifacts, select Yes if, based on the information provided, the cost of all pertinent techniques described can be shown to be within the museum’s first- year Kaxna budget. Otherwise, select No.

YesNoValues
2 bone implements and 5S fired-clay cups decorated with gold
7 wooden statues and 20 metal implements
15 wooden statues decorated with bone

No, Yes Yes

Question #6
Among the Kaxna artifacts is a wooden box containing both a small fired-clay bead and some river sediment containing clay and plant matter. Based on the museum’s assumptions, which one of the following details about the bead can be determined by applying one of the tests in the manner described?

A

Q6
Question #6

The Passage provides : Researchers have mapped all the mines, quarries, and sources of clay on Kaxna
Why (E) is wrong?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hey, I have a question about Q3.
"Researchers have mapped all the mines, quarries, and sources of clay on Kaxna and know that wooden artifacts of that time were generally created within 2 years after tree harvest"
Did this sentences mean that only wooden artifacts on Kaxna or wooden artifacts all over the world were generally created within 2 years after tree harvest?
Because "There is, however, considerable uncertainty as to whether these artifacts were actually created on Kaxna", I am not sure whether a wooden artifacts from the collection of Kaxna is created on Kaxna and thus can be applied with the "created within 2 years after tree harvest" assumption.
Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have a beef with Q5 part b. They are making a huge assumption that the budget it equally split between the TL and RC tests when they say "$7000 - equal to the cost of 4TL plus 15RC tests".

Is it not possible the 15 RC tests cost $6500 and the 4 TL tests only cost $500? I see no information that tells us how that $7000 is distributed amongst the two kinds of tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Schools: IIMA '25 (II)
Send PM

iegan wrote:
I have a beef with Q5 part b. They are making a huge assumption that the budget it equally split between the TL and RC tests when they say "$7000 - equal to the cost of 4TL plus 15RC tests".

Is it not possible the 15 RC tests cost $6500 and the 4 TL tests only cost $500? I see no information that tells us how that $7000 is distributed amongst the two kinds of tests.

We know from the paragraph that:
­For outside laboratory tests, the museum’s first-year budget for the Kaxna collection allows unlimited IRMS testing, and a total of $7,000—equal to the cost of 4 TL tests plus 15 radiocarbon tests, or the cost of 40 ICP-MS tests—for all other tests.

Now b part of question 5 states that 7 wooden statues and 20 metal implements are required. This means 7 Radiocarbon tests and 20 ICP-MS tests. We know that cost of 40 ICP-MS is $7000. This leaves $3500 for 20 ICP-MS tests. Hence, after 20 tests, we are left with $3500.

Now, we know that $7000 is equal to 4 TL + 15 Radiocardbon tests.
So, $3500 will be equal to 2TL + 7.5 Radiocarbon test.

Hence, we can do 7 Radiocarbon tests in the rest of the budget. I hope you understood the answer.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
DhruvBadaya wrote:
iegan wrote:

We know from the paragraph that:
­For outside laboratory tests, the museum’s first-year budget for the Kaxna collection allows unlimited IRMS testing, and a total of $7,000—equal to the cost of 4 TL tests plus 15 radiocarbon tests, or the cost of 40 ICP-MS tests—for all other tests.

Now b part of question 5 states that 7 wooden statues and 20 metal implements are required. This means 7 Radiocarbon tests and 20 ICP-MS tests. We know that cost of 40 ICP-MS is $7000. This leaves $3500 for 20 ICP-MS tests. Hence, after 20 tests, we are left with $3500.

Now, we know that $7000 is equal to 4 TL + 15 Radiocardbon tests.
So, $3500 will be equal to 2TL + 7.5 Radiocarbon test.

Hence, we can do 7 Radiocarbon tests in the rest of the budget. I hope you understood the answer.

­Yes, thanks for the reply!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92974 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11183 posts