Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:56 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619658 [8]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4131 [6]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
GPA: 3.61
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4131 [1]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
A square is drawn in the coordinate plane with its vertices at the poi [#permalink]
Kudos
Ananabanana wrote:
AbhiroopGhosh wrote:
The only information given regarding the line is that it passes through the point (0, 4). Hence there are different positions that the line takes.

Before we begin the analysis, let's quickly calculate the area of the square.

Area of the square = 8 * 8 = 64 units

We know that area of the shaded region (in grey) will be minimum when the area of unshaded area is maximum. Conversely, the area of the shaded region will be maximum when the area of the unshaded region is minimum.

Thus problem becomes a bit easy to manage if we can visualize the change in area at different positions of the line.

Attachment:
geogebra-export.png

Let's assume that the line segment is at a position denoted by JK, now if we move the segment in clockwise direction, we observe that the the area of the shaded region increases. When the line is at position AB, the area enclosed by the shaded region is greater than the area enclosed by the shaded region when the line was at JK. The area increases because we are decreasing the slop of the line, thereby increasing the area enclosed by the line with the top surface of the square.

Let's further move the line in the clockwise direction. At the position denoted by MN, the area of the shaded region continues to increase and we see that the area enclosed is greater than the area enclosed when the line was at AB.

The area will continue to increase as we rotate the line in the clockwise direction. The area of the shaded region becomes maximum when the line almost overlaps the Y-axis. (Why 'almost' overlaps ? Because it is given that the line is a non-vertical line, hence the line cannot overlap with Y axis)

Therefore when the line is at a point denoted by UT, the area of the shaded region will be maximum. At this point the area of the unshaded region is minimum and is the area bound by the left side of the square and the Y-axis.

Hence area of the unshaded region is 'almost' equal to 2 * 8 i.e. 16 units (of course it will not be equal to 16 units but slightly greater than 16 units)

Maximum Area of shaded region therefore is less than (64 - 16) units

Max area < 48 units

The area of the shaded region becomes minimum when the the line makes an \( \angle 45\) with the top surface of the square.

At this point the slope of the line is 1.

We can find the point of intersection of the top and left sides of the square with the line by formulating the equation of the line.

When slope =1, the equation of the line is

y = x + 4

Intersection with the left side -

x = -2
y = -2 + 4 = 2

Point of intersection = (-2,2)

Intersection with the top -

y = 6
6 = x + 4 = 2

Point of intersection = (2,6)

Area of the shaded region = Area of the triangle formed = \(\frac{1}{2} * 4 * 4\) = 8

Minimum area = 8

Combining the obtained values

8<= A < 48

IMO- B

P.S - Hope to see someone share a better approach ! :D

Thanks for the solution.
Can you please share more on how can we know that the min area will be obtained when the line creates 2 45-degree angles with the sides of the square?
I'm really struggling to understand base on what theorem we can infer that... Thanksss :please: :please:

Thanks for reaching out !

Well ! There is no formulae to begin with. I solved this question solely by visualization ( sorry to disappoint ! :| )

Why 45 ?

To understand that , lets see how the area of the shaded region changes with change in position of the line. Remember that the line is rotated keeping the point (0,4) fixed.

Case 1: The line is parallel to x axis (denoted by line AB; the line makes 0 degrees with X axis)

Area of the shaded region = 2 * 8 = 16 units

Case 2: Rotate the line 45 degrees in the counter clockwise direction (denoted by line JK; the line makes an angle of 45 degrees with X axis )

Area of the shaded region = 1/2 * 4 * 4 = 8 units

Case 3:Rotate the line further by 45 degrees in the counter clockwise direction so the line almost overlaps the y axis (of course the line cannot completely overlap the y axis. The line denoted by UT; the line makes almost 90 degrees with X axis)

Area of the unshaded region = 2 * 8

To summarize our observation - The area of the shaded region decreased as we increased the angle from 0 to 45 and increased when the line angle was changed from 45 to 90. Therefore, I concluded the min at 45.

Not sure if the explanation is convincing enough :P , however please free to comment if you see any concern or for any further questions.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A square is drawn in the coordinate plane with its vertices at the poi [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A square is drawn in the coordinate plane with its vertices at the poi [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92973 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts