Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [80]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [27]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm in the same situation at the moment. My quant score on the last MGMAT CAT was a 48.

I'm working on Jeff Sackmann's sets at the moment, I think they are helpful and solidify most of the basics. I've finished the number properties, exponents & roots, statistics, geometry and arithmetic challenge sets and my skills on those topics seem to have improved. They are also great to detect weaknesses you still have. As you said maintaining an error log while going through all sets is crucial.
I plan to take the GMAT in about a month and up until then I will work on the areas in which I still have deficincies at the moment, try to work more attentively( take into account all the constraints, minimizing careless mistakes etc.), finish Sackmann's sets and then work through the GMAT club tests. Hopefully this will get me a 49 or 50 on the actual thing.

Good luck to you btw.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi BN1989,
The careless errors are the ones that i am finding problem with. In the heat of the battle, such errors generally do occur. I try to be very attentive while solving a problem, however, if you have a method to avoid these errors, do share for a common cause. :)
I have tried Bunnel's signatures and they are simply great,thus I will strongly recommend them to everyone.
Good luck and keep posting the progress as and when you take the practice CATs.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Unfortunately (or fortunately!), going from Q 48 to 51 involves work on conceptual clarity and timing strategies instead of just practice. You can solve any question of any level based on a particular concept if you understand that concept well. Also, I would suggest you to work on solving questions using logical methods which are faster and less prone to errors.
What do I mean by logical approach?

Hi karishma, I agree with you on the logical approach issue. I have been following this approach for most of the questions and have got rich dividends in terms of time(for extra hard/tricky questions) and high scores. Rather, i owe my first 48 and that too without any practice to this approach. Yes, i could do the question in less than a minute with the logical approach. One can only use it once the person is done with the concepts. However, after having revised most of the concepts(mgmat 5 books), the score is still hovering around 47/48. I could identify three reasons:-
1) By applying the logical approach, I was moving too fast(end up finishing quant of gmatprep, mgmat CATs and gmatclub tests with around 15 - 20 minutes left). This way, i was making far too many careless/silly errors. So now i decided to GO SLOW, i keep telling myself that i have to go slow....i hope the results will prove it's efficacy :wink: .
2) I was getting around one-third of the questions wrong in Geometry, so decided to study it again, master the concepts and do a lot of varying difficulty problems.
3) I also noticed my weakness in questions testing mixed concepts( generally 700+ level), so decided to do a lot of prac questions, thus making sure that the surprise factor is reduced by the time i appear for the actual CAT.
BTW, Do you think the OG 12 and OG quant have hard questions :?: I have my apprehensions about the same.I don't think it's worth spending time on something that one can easily do, rather i would love to do the problems that i have difficulty in and that teach me something new.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Unfortunately (or fortunately!), going from Q 48 to 51 involves work on conceptual clarity and timing strategies instead of just practice. You can solve any question of any level based on a particular concept if you understand that concept well. Also, I would suggest you to work on solving questions using logical methods which are faster and less prone to errors.
What do I mean by logical approach?

BTW, Do you think the OG 12 and OG quant have hard questions :?: I have my apprehensions about the same.I don't think it's worth spending time on something that one can easily do, rather i would love to do the problems that i have difficulty in and that teach me something new.

i second your question..to put it the other way.. what is a rich source of 700+ quant questions?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Send PM
Many higher level questions will involve multiple concepts. OG12 and OG have very few "hard" questions (I remember 2-3) but the wording of the questions is similar to what you are going to see in the actual GMAT so it is a good idea to go through OG12 once.

Hi Karishma, sincere thanks for your prompt reply and pearls of wisdom.
I would like to ask you one more question regarding what you wrote about mixed concepts. Since we are likely to see more of these questions in 700 + level, what would be ur take on such questions? Actually speaking, i am simply not able to connect the different concepts with each other. Is it due to my non-familarity with such questions or is it that the hit ratio with everybody in such questions is generally low.
Thanx and Regards
Rajeev

Originally posted by rajeevrks27 on 24 Mar 2012, 10:42.
Last edited by rajeevrks27 on 24 Mar 2012, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I am also in for the battle, i had Q-45 in my real GMAT , and now i am on my way to Q-49/50.

I do have MGMAT Advanced GMAT, its a great resource, especially for strategies.

I have two vertias books - especially the one probability and combi is a great resource.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
wayahead123, Doing a book for probability will be an overkill but then doing it does gives a person much needed confidence. I have heard great guns about the advanced quant of mgmat, Does it comes with some practice questions???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster (I)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.74
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM