It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

tough interview question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

tough interview question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 09:20
4. What other school are you applying to?
5. Given everything what will be your top choice school and Why?

Should we always say that the school we are interviewing is our top choice? but then how do we explain the fact that we're applying to schools that are better than the school we're interviewing at...

any thoughts?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Re: tough interview question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 09:24
gt7er wrote:
4. What other school are you applying to?
5. Given everything what will be your top choice school and Why?

Should we always say that the school we are interviewing is our top choice? but then how do we explain the fact that we're applying to schools that are better than the school we're interviewing at...

any thoughts?

Maybe u can find some specifics about each school and tie ur choices to that.
eg. school A is strong in finances so u say that u want such a school so u can save a world :)

PErsonally, I think these questions r bunch of crap as they r probably using them just to see where they stand as to compared to other schools.

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Schools: Georgetown '11

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 10:45
I think that schools are looking to see how well you've thought through the process. It's a "fit" question in my opinion. If you're applying to Tuck and you tell them "Tuck is my top choice, I'm also applying to Chicago, Wharton and Columbia" they're probably gonna have some questions about how well you understand the culture up in New Hampshire. If you tell them "I'm applying to Tuck, Cornell, Kellogg and Stanford" then I think they'll be more comfortable with the idea that you're picking them because you're looking for a certain type of culture.

Obviously it depends on the school, but schools that aren't all about fit probably won't ask this question.

If a school is really your top choice I'd tell them why. If a school isn't I would say that I'm looking for schools that fit a certain profile, I have it narrowed down to a few, but I don't have a definite order right now, explain what the profile you were looking for is and then explain why their school is a good fit.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 14:36
Sleepy wrote:
I think that schools are looking to see how well you've thought through the process.

That is a huge part of it. For example, if you say

"I really like Tuck because of the rural setting, it's a huge reason why I want to go here."

then you say

"I'm also applying to NYU, Wharton and Columbia"

they'll go :???

RF

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 14:59
I think that it is acceptable to dodge the question as being somewhat inappropriate. You can keep it focused on the school by talking about how you only applied to schools you'd want to attend and here are the many good reason why your school fits that bill.

Also, you should be honest. If you are interviewing at X but Y is your top choice...just tell them and be honest. The Cornell adcom I talked to will personally call you up if you say "this is my top choice" and you don't attend. Its not ethical and it is not professional. Don't do it! Yeah, they are fishing to improve their yield rate for rankings and may hurt your chances...but its about principle.

You could always turn it around on them..."I know why I'm applying X, Y, Z....what else do you think separates it from the flock?" =p

Re: tough interview question   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2008, 14:59

tough interview question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: aeropower, OasisGC, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap