Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 22:55 It is currently 13 May 2024, 22:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: -22 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Tough RC Analysis Help [#permalink]
arjamidhun wrote:
anukrati wrote:
Hi

I have my exam in 15 days from now and I am struggling in RCs of 700-800 level.

Whenever I am attempting these RCs I am getting 1 question from each RC incorrect.
I really want to improve in RC to get higher score as in mocks my score is stuck at 700.

Could anyone help me what is the right way to analyse these RC questions since analyzing is the best way to improve in RC.

Also,how can I find what is lacking in my approach and how can I verify each word in every options from RC passage ?
Sometimes it gets really difficult for me to verify and end up getting incorrect answer.

Thanks

Hi Anukrati,

There is no single best way to crack an RC, however depending on your approach, there can be more than one in the counter for you. :)

Firstly, Analyze where you are going wrong.
Is it a single type of question that you are going wrong at? (Say "primary purpose" questions?)

In this case spend all you energy on cracking that kind of questions and before that, know the best strategy to crack such questions.
For instance, "Primary purpose" questions can best be answered by parsing through initial and concluding paragraphs completely and first lines of rest of the paragraphs, by skipping the details.

OR

Are you going wrong in a different kind of question every time.

This is where you probably need to change your approach a bit.
1. You probably are not reading with concentration.
2. You probably are not deducing the author's inferences and tone.
This could be because of few reasons, but the most common reason is that students generally tend to read with an aim to complete the paragraph without completely understanding it. The second thing that may work is taking notes. However, you need good experience to anticipate from which part or sentence of your passage could a potential question arise. Hence the point here is practice and practice till you master it.

Best Wishes,
Midhun

Consider giving a kudos if this helps :)

Thanks Midhun.
Could you please tell how can I practice anticipating that I can get a potential question from a part of the passage.
Also I get mostly incorrect from Inference type of questions.
And what I could see from my analysis of questions was that I get lost while verifying each answer options with the passage.
Could you advice how can I improve there as well.

Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
anukrati wrote:
Hi

I have my exam in 15 days from now and I am struggling in RCs of 700-800 level.

Whenever I am attempting these RCs I am getting 1 question from each RC incorrect.
I really want to improve in RC to get higher score as in mocks my score is stuck at 700.

Could anyone help me what is the right way to analyse these RC questions since analyzing is the best way to improve in RC.

Also,how can I find what is lacking in my approach and how can I verify each word in every options from RC passage ?
Sometimes it gets really difficult for me to verify and end up getting incorrect answer.

Thanks

Hi Anukrati,

Try paraphrasing each paragraph after you read it. If possible, jot down a few points that may seem important to you. Coming to the answer choices, use the POE method. Eliminate the choices which , you know for sure, are wrong. This way you will have to verify fewer options. Since you don't have much time left, adopt a strategy that doesn't differ much from your previous one.

All the best :)

Hope this helps :)
GMAT Club Bot