GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 May 2018, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tricks for Calculating Median Easily

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Tricks for Calculating Median Easily [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Mar 2017, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS

TRICKS TO EASILY CALCULATE MEDIAN

EVEN NUMBERS OF TERMS: Even numbers of terms have no “true median” (i.e, one of the numbers already in the list) so you will have to take the average of “half” and “half plus one.”

For example, the median of 102 terms is the average of the \(\frac{102}{2}\)= 51st and 52nd terms.

ODD NUMBERS OF TERMS: Odd numbers of terms are easier. Just divide by 2--you will get a decimal (.5) answer--and then it’s the next integer term.

For example the median of 1,003 terms is the \(\frac{1003}{2}\)= 501.5 --> 502nd term.

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 13 Apr 2016, 18:31.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 17 Mar 2017, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Re: Tricks for Calculating Median Easily [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here is a slightly different way of doing the same thing.

Case of odd number of terms: Let's say we need to find the position of the median term when we have say 93 elements in a list. I take out 1 from 93, which leaves me with 92, split that into two, or 46 each. And I visualize that there are 46 elements to the right and left of the median, which means the median is at the 47th position.

Case of even number of terms: In this case the median is the average of the middle two terms. If we have say 98 terms, then take the two out of that total, which leaves us with 96. Divide that into equal parts, 48 each. This means there are 48 elements to the left and right of the middle two numbers. Therefore, the we are looking for the 49th and 50th element counting from either left or right.

I used to have trouble with this and by doing it this way I find it much easier to visualize the arrangement of the elements.

Also, Brian you may want to edit the typo on the 3rd line, it should be 51st and 52nd term.

Cheers,
Dabral
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 22:26
Hi,
The concepts are the same, It is what suits you OR what strikes you easily..
In case of ODD terms, another way is
ADD 1 to the number and divide by 2, and the answer is the median..

The logic is ofcourse that we can pair each number except the middle, so the median is always there in the ODD number of integers..

Applying the same logic, the MEDIAN is never there in the set if set contains EVEN number of integers/fractions, as its position is in the center of the middle two numbers. Divide the number by 2 , the answer you get and one more than the answer are the two middle numbers. Their average will give you the value of median
Ofcourse the value of MEDIAN can be in the set if middle numbers are SAME

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 02:10
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Tricks for Calculating Median Easily   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 02:10

Tricks for Calculating Median Easily

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap