GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Feb 2020, 09:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck or wait another year?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GRE 1: Q170 V168
GPA: 3.71
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Tuck or wait another year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 07:25
I have a unique situation. My wife is in a PhD program in Boston, and will be finished in 1-2 years. I only applied to New England schools, and the only one I got admitted to was Tuck (with no $$). I am looking to go into strategy/marketing in the tech industry after business school. Either I can go to Tuck, which would require my wife to commute to Boston for 2 years somewhat regularly (she doesn't have to be there everyday), or I could wait a little and try to apply to schools wherever she gets her first job. If she gets a job in an area with good business school options, it could be worth the wait, especially if I get scholarship offers at that point. But it is hard to know whether it is worth the risk of giving up Tuck. I love the culture at Tuck, and it is very tied into the Boston tech community.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 19025
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Tuck or wait another year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 12:25
firebird72714 wrote:
I have a unique situation. My wife is in a PhD program in Boston, and will be finished in 1-2 years. I only applied to New England schools, and the only one I got admitted to was Tuck (with no $$). I am looking to go into strategy/marketing in the tech industry after business school. Either I can go to Tuck, which would require my wife to commute to Boston for 2 years somewhat regularly (she doesn't have to be there everyday), or I could wait a little and try to apply to schools wherever she gets her first job. If she gets a job in an area with good business school options, it could be worth the wait, especially if I get scholarship offers at that point. But it is hard to know whether it is worth the risk of giving up Tuck. I love the culture at Tuck, and it is very tied into the Boston tech community.



Welcome to GMAT Club and congratulations on getting into Tuck! That is a top 10 Ivy League school - it is hard to do much better than that.

I would not wait unless you feel your profile or recommendations can be meaningfully improved OR having both of you at school at the same time would be too much of a burden on your finances. Tuck is a pretty global school, though smaller than most other Top 10, it does have a strong alum base and pretty good penetration in most industries. Taking into consideration a lot of uncertainty in the next few years with your wife's employment, the only certainty you have is Tuck's admission. Finally, taking into consideration that your salary is most likely to be higher, there is still a chance that you will be moving after your graduation as the ideal job you find, may be on the opposite coast. if you wait a year, and until your wife finds a job, you will be limiting yourself quite a bit with your options or forcing her to choose between your job and hers. Not sure you want that stress....

Reasons you may want to wait would be:
1. Promotion or big career move expected in the next 6-12 months
2. You did something really bad in your apps this year (though I would instead fix it in the R2 rather than wait a year). Most people do fairly consistently year over year but their interview skills and some of the application techniques improve. It is not enough usually to make a BIG difference but it does help/add with that final helpful push.
3. Wife tells you not to


P.S. Thinking about what better schools you could potentially look to get in next year, you have Boston, Philly, New York, or San Francisco Bay Area, assuming you can get in next year. That will most likely not overlap well with your wife's job/residency plans as she may get a job in TX, WA, or Idaho. You may know better where she is likely to get a job and your likelihood of getting into schools there.

Good Luck and again, congratulations!
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2013
Posts: 188
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck or wait another year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 16:59
firebird72714 wrote:
I have a unique situation. My wife is in a PhD program in Boston, and will be finished in 1-2 years. I only applied to New England schools, and the only one I got admitted to was Tuck (with no $$). I am looking to go into strategy/marketing in the tech industry after business school. Either I can go to Tuck, which would require my wife to commute to Boston for 2 years somewhat regularly (she doesn't have to be there everyday), or I could wait a little and try to apply to schools wherever she gets her first job. If she gets a job in an area with good business school options, it could be worth the wait, especially if I get scholarship offers at that point. But it is hard to know whether it is worth the risk of giving up Tuck. I love the culture at Tuck, and it is very tied into the Boston tech community.


Happy to discuss this via PM. In my class there are at least 8 Tuckies off the top of my had who are doing distance and two have children. Boston is really not a bad commute at all (unless you are doing it everyday), plus Dartmouth has great facilities which I am sure your wife could research in...
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Current Tuckie!
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 541
Location: United Kingdom
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck or wait another year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 10:59
firebird72714 wrote:
I have a unique situation. My wife is in a PhD program in Boston, and will be finished in 1-2 years. I only applied to New England schools, and the only one I got admitted to was Tuck (with no $$). I am looking to go into strategy/marketing in the tech industry after business school. Either I can go to Tuck, which would require my wife to commute to Boston for 2 years somewhat regularly (she doesn't have to be there everyday), or I could wait a little and try to apply to schools wherever she gets her first job. If she gets a job in an area with good business school options, it could be worth the wait, especially if I get scholarship offers at that point. But it is hard to know whether it is worth the risk of giving up Tuck. I love the culture at Tuck, and it is very tied into the Boston tech community.


The commute to Boston is really not so bad especially if she does not have to be there everyday. I think as bb mentioned, there is a risk of having to make a tougher decision down the line if she is not working in a city with a good MBA program in the future. In terms of goals, you are right I think Tuck would be a good fit for you especially with our ties to Boston. Happy to chat over PM if useful.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck or wait another year?   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2016, 10:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck or wait another year?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne