GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 06:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:04) correct 51% (02:34) wrong based on 150 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the platform in 27 seconds and 17 seconds respectively and they cross each other in 23 seconds. The ratio of their speeds is:
A. 3:1
B. 1:3
C.3:2
D.2:3
E.5:3
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 01:31
Chemerical71 wrote:
Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the platform in 27 seconds and 17 seconds respectively and they cross each other in 23 seconds. The ratio of their speeds is:

This question too can be done in weighted average method.
Ans \(\frac{t_{27}}{t_{17}}=\frac{23-17}{27-23}=\frac{3}{2}\)

C...

How?
Let the man stand at their meeting point in the beginning.
After 17 secs, train II would have crossed him and Train I would have another 10secs to go. Train II helps getting down these 10 secs to 6 secs
These 10 secs are covered in the ratio 6:4, so 3:2
B
Re: Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 07:10
this is how I did it and worked for me .. using the S=D/T rule we can get the lengths of each train (thinking of it as the distance here)
therefore, Train 1 Let X be speed and distance is then (D=T*S, 27X) and for train 2 it will be 17Y

knowing the time of them combined is 23 then their combined speed would be

S=D/T >> T=D/S .. 23=(27X+17Y)/(x+y)
27x+17y = 23 x+23y

4x=6y
X/Y = 6/4 = 3/2

C
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 07:42
Chemerical71 wrote:

We can let r = speed of train 1, s = speed of train 2, t = the length of train 1, and u = the length of train 2. Since speed x time = distance, we have:

r x 27 = t

s x 17 = u

And

(r + s) x 23 = t + u

If we add the first two equations, we have: 27r + 17s = t + u. If we simplify the third equation, we have 23r + 23s = t + u. Since both new equations are equal to t + u, we can equate them:

27r + 17s = 23r + 23s

4r = 6s

r/s = 6/4 = 3/2

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Schools: Dartmouth College
Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 13:41
Chemerical71 wrote:

------->23 seconds----->TRAINS MEET----->4 seconds------>MAN------------------------------->
<----------------------------TRAINS MEET<-----6 seconds<------MAN<--------17 seconds<-------

The TOP train takes 23 seconds to meet the bottom train and another 4 seconds to cross the man, for a total of 27 seconds to cross the man.
The BOTTOM train takes 17 seconds to meet the man and another 6 seconds to meet the top train, for a total of 23 seconds to meet the top train.

The top train takes 4 seconds to travel the distance in blue.
The bottom train takes 6 seconds to travel the distance in blue.
Time and rate have a RECIPROCAL RELATIONSHIP.
Since the time ratio for the two trains = \(\frac{4}{6} = \frac{2}{3}\), the rate ratio for the two trains = \(\frac{3}{2}\).

New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 05:54
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Chemerical71 wrote:

------->23 seconds----->TRAINS MEET----->4 seconds------>MAN------------------------------->
<----------------------------TRAINS MEET<-----6 seconds<------MAN<--------17 seconds<-------

The TOP train takes 23 seconds to meet the bottom train and another 4 seconds to cross the man, for a total of 27 seconds to cross the man.
The BOTTOM train takes 17 seconds to meet the man and another 6 seconds to meet the top train, for a total of 23 seconds to meet the top train.

Since the time ratio for the two trains = \(\frac{4}{6} = \frac{2}{3}\), the rate ratio for the two trains = \(\frac{3}{2}\).

Hi GMATGuruNY

Nice solution. But If I start with bottom train in all equation, it will end up choosing the reversed answer D as follows:

Since the time ratio for the two trains = \(\frac{6}{4} = \frac{3}{2}\), the rate ratio for the two trains = \(\frac{2}{3}\).

What is the trigger to start with top train to up with OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 08:09
Mo2men wrote:
What is the trigger to start with top train to up with OA?

The times are mentioned in the following order:
27 seconds to cross the man
17 seconds to cross the man
The rate ratio should align with this order.

That said, the GMAT would make the intention crystal clear, perhaps as follows:
Train A, traveling eastward, crosses the man after 27 seconds.
Train B, traveling westward, crosses the man after 17 seconds.
The two trains cross each other after 23 seconds.
What is the ratio of Train A's speed to Train B's speed?

New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 18:43
Chemerical71 wrote:

Letting L and M be the lengths of the two trains, and r and s be the respective speeds of the the two trains, we have two distance (length) equations:

27r = L

17s = M

and

23(r + s) = L + M → 23r + 23s = L + M

If we add the first two equations, we have:

27r + 17s = L + M

Subtracting the 3rd equation from the above equation, we have:

4r - 6s = 0

4r = 6s

r/s = 6/4

r/s = 3/2

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 18:18
Chemerical71 wrote:

length of train 1 ; a
length of train 2 ; b
speed of train 1 ; s
speed of train 2 ; t
given
a=27*s and b= 17*t----(1)
also (s+t)*23 = a+b---(2)
add 1 ; a+b = 27s+17t
we can say from 1 &2 ;
23s+23t=27s+17t
6t=4s
s/t =6/4 ; 3/2
IMO C
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 22:50
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Chemerical71 wrote:

Hi GMATGuruNY,

When I take closer look about your solution, I find you you have related all the 3 times. In highlighted parts, the question says the train coresses each in 23 second while you mention in 23 second they meet. and you deducted/or added that time for both trains. While the wording suggest that I can set up three independent equations as follows:

Letting L and M be the lengths of the two trains, and r and s be the respective speeds of the the two trains, we have two distance (length) equations:

27r = L

17s = M

and

What is the difference ? or where did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance for support
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2019, 04:22
Mo2men wrote:

Hi GMATGuruNY,

When I take closer look about your solution, I find you you have related all the 3 times. In highlighted parts, the question says the train coresses each in 23 second while you mention in 23 second they meet. and you deducted/or added that time for both trains. While the wording suggest that I can set up three independent equations as follows:

27r = L

17s = M

and

What is the difference ? or where did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance for support

Your solution is perfect.
If we add together 27r = L and 17s = M, we get:
\(27r+17s=L+M\)

Since 27r+17s = L+M and 23r+23s = L+M, the expressions in blue are EQUAL:
\(27r+17s=23r+23s\)
\(4r=6s\)
\(\frac{r}{s}=\frac{6}{4}=\frac{3}{2}\)
New York, NY
Intern
Intern
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 07:57
Chemerical71 wrote:

are there more problems like this to practice?? please link if any

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 08:13
Chemerical71 wrote:

Let the speeds of the trains be s1 & s2 and lengths be l1 & l2 respectively

l1/s1 = 27; l1 = 27s1
l2/s2 = 17; l2 = 17s2

(l1+l2)/(s1 + s2) = 23;
l1 + l2 = 23s1 +23s2 = 27s1 + 17s2
4s1 = 6s2
s1/s2 = 6/4 = 3/2

IMO C

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Kudos encourage active discussions.

My GMAT Resources: -

Efficient Learning
All you need to know about GMAT quant

Tele: +91-11-40396815
Mobile : +91-9910661622
E-mail : kinshook.chaturvedi@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2019, 08:13

Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing on the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics