Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Two weeks prep for GMAT - we shall see! [#permalink]
I am pretty happy!

760 - Q50, V42
99% - 93%, 95%

I actually thought the math went really well, to the point where I thought maybe I didn't miss any, but as I had yet to score a 51 on any of my prep tests, I wasn't bummed at all about that.

The verbal was hard, but I worked my way through them and didn't guess as much as I usually had during my practice tests (especially on that Knewton one!).

My test day ritual - my test was a 12:30pm, so I showed up at 12:00pm (I couldn't get in any earlier than 30 minutes before) after already eating breakfast and lunch, espresso with breakfast, 1/2 cup of coffee over the course of lunch and the walk to the testing center.
I took ~5 minutes after the AWA and just stretched my legs.

I took ~7 minutes after Quant to stretch my legs, drink ~1/3 of an AMP, and eat a banana.

One note - one of my question answers had a typo in it, which was unexpected. I had never seen a question that would be wrong due to a typo in sentence correction during my studies, but luckily there were more things wrong with that sentence than just the typo. Still, I wondered if they knew.

Anyways, yay, I won't have to take the GMAT again (assuming I go to B school in the next 5 years).

I will post again when I get my AWA score back as I used chineseburned's post to help me get a cohesive structure going for each of them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Two weeks prep for GMAT - we shall see!*UPDATE 760 (Q50,V42) [#permalink]
This is awesome score. You look like a GMAT genius here:).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rg1 wrote:
This is awesome score. You look like a GMAT genius here:).

Thank you for the kind words, but I doubt I am any smarter than the rest of the people here. In my mind, it comes down mostly to testing ability and not getting psyched out.

That said, I have always been very very good at taking tests, but I still think that this was a decent strategy for +40 in two weeks. It definitely worked for me to just hammer my mind with test after test after test (I did the essays before each practice also, this helped prepare me for the full strain on test day). That, and the advice from others on here for test day caffeine, break food, and what to expect at the test center helped quite a bit.

Practice Practice Practice - works in sports, works in tests!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
You're modest too:). I agree with you on this strategy: practice, practice and more practice.
Good luck for your applications whenever you decide to apply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congratulations... That is an excellant score. What is your verbal strategy?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Great score. Thanks for the debrief.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mads wrote:
Congratulations... That is an excellant score. What is your verbal strategy?

Thank you very much for the kind words.

For verbal, I tried to absorb as much data as I could using any means necessary.
For example, I have a Droid 2, so I downloaded GMAT Vocabulary flash cards and ran through those as much as possible. I don't necessarily think this taught me new words, per sé, but it kept my mind thinking in the verbal realm.
I also downloaded the demo versions of three idiom apps for my phone. I probably used these apps ~8 hours in the past two weeks, any time I had 30 seconds (waiting for an elevator, waiting in an elevator, bio break, when I felt like sitting on the couch for a minute, etc.). This kept my mind constantly thinking about idioms and vocabulary.

Also, in every practice test I did, if I missed a question, I thoroughly reviewed the answer, and then went and meticulously read whatever the instruction material on that aspect of the GMAT the course I bought (800Score online, idk if they do in person). I did this for each problem I did wrong. If I missed two questions with the same root, I read that section twice. This happened twice during a single practice test, so I wasn't double reading everything every test I took, but every once in a while. Basically self flagellation, in reading form!

I wish I had found GMAT Club sooner than I did, especially for the Verbal, but it is what it is, and I'm definitely not disappointed.

Mostly, and this is what I most credit my gain with is just practicing the tests and getting ready to perform on the day of the test. If I had studied for 3 months at the same saturation level, I would've been burnt out on test day, for sure. This is the method that works best for me, but I think there are a couple of pieces of prep work in here that would help a lot people!

Also, don't waste the first GMATPrep test like I did! Also, I worry about accuracy or false sense of accomplishment for repeating GMATPrep tests. Yes, it's true that people rarely see repeat questions, but there is still the sense that they have done this before, and if a repeat question comes up, that accuracy is totally shot. You need to simulate test conditions as much as possible, including being as nervous as possible that the next question will be different from anything you have ever encountered.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got my official score report, AWA 6.0

chineseburned has the best template