Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Re: Typical Start/End Dates for Internship? [#permalink]
I started May 27 and will ending Aug 15. I have a friend at Lehman's this summer who is leaving a week early because he is getting married. However, a safe date seems to be August 15.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
started June 9th, will end August 22nd.

Most internships I've heard of won't start before June, and it is unlikely they'll start on the very first monday in June. Having said that, there's usually a chance to fidget a little bit with the dates, if you need to do so.

Bear in mind that most internships span for 8 - 10 weeks, with a few going for 12 weeks.

Duration and start dates can be part of negotiations (after you get an offer, but don't lie while interviewing), although it is unlikely that you would be able to intern for less than 8 weeks.

L.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like end of August will work fine.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
watch out of the start of college football season. If you are an avid football fan the last thing you want is your wedding/anniversaries coinciding with the first game of the season! My husband refuses to attend any weddings when his team is on tv.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm Canadian, so the start of the hockey season is a greater concern :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
June 16 to Aug 22.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
May 27th-Aug 15th
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Mine goes from May 19th to Aug 15th. This is unusual. 10-12 weeks is usually common.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Typical Start/End Dates for Internship? [#permalink]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla convallis odio vitae facilisis mollis. Phasellus at pulvinar diam. Sed eget felis mattis, dapibus lacus et, pharetra ligula. Pellentesque bibendum sit amet urna ut sodales. Proin ut quam erat. Mauris at odio quis erat pharetra tempor quis in ipsum. Praesent pharetra, lacus volutpat vestibulum aliquam, felis nunc scelerisque leo, vitae tristique tellus tellus et nibh. Integer imperdiet nunc at dignissim aliquam.

Originally posted by gradschoolapplicant on 24 Jul 2008, 16:28.
Last edited by gradschoolapplicant on 25 Aug 2017, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
First years at Fuqua start in August. Second years start September 2.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
citalfo wrote:
why do most internships end so early? school doesn't start until the end of september right? what do you do with the extra five weeks off? i would think that starving students would want to work longer to earn more dough.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :|

Darden second years start 8/25, first years a week earlier. It would definitely be nice to earn some more cash, but a lot of people think that the best strategy is to get the offer and get out of there. Another two weeks or whatever is just more chance to screw up. For many internships you don't have a choice to work longer (or start earlier).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
I deviate a bit from the average, but my internship was from the 12th of May until the 17th of July.
OK, this represents not even 1 full day of vaction before starting to work, but in the end I had about 5 weeks, which allowed me to go back to Portugal for 3 and then travel around California for another 2...
Would do it again if I could choose.
I worked on renewable energy sector. The company was pretty flexible with dates. some aren't.
Don't forget to save time for honeymoon! (so that you spend all the money you did in the summer)

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Schools:Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Send PM
Bumping this up because I'm in the same boat as the original poster.

My fiance and I are planning our wedding now, and the first step is picking a date/venue. I'm attempting to minimize any impact the wedding and honeymoon will have on my internship next summer by picking a date that is on either end of the summer. This year, Georgetown's start date for classes is August 22nd, and the last day of finals is May 12th. Assuming that the start date is the same next summer and that most consulting internships start around the first week of June, do you think it would be smarter to schedule the wedding early or late in the summer? My initial feeling is that late May will work best, because it will give me a bit of a buffer between the wedding and finals, and (hopefully) enough time to have a honeymoon before the internship starts.

Also, do think that I would have any leeway with my start or end dates, if I already have a wedding scheduled? I'm guessing probably not - there are training sessions for all the interns and that's that.

Appreciate any insight into it. Thank you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kilian wrote:
Bumping this up because I'm in the same boat as the original poster.

My fiance and I are planning our wedding now, and the first step is picking a date/venue. I'm attempting to minimize any impact the wedding and honeymoon will have on my internship next summer by picking a date that is on either end of the summer. This year, Georgetown's start date for classes is August 22nd, and the last day of finals is May 12th. Assuming that the start date is the same next summer and that most consulting internships start around the first week of June, do you think it would be smarter to schedule the wedding early or late in the summer? My initial feeling is that late May will work best, because it will give me a bit of a buffer between the wedding and finals, and (hopefully) enough time to have a honeymoon before the internship starts.

Also, do think that I would have any leeway with my start or end dates, if I already have a wedding scheduled? I'm guessing probably not - there are training sessions for all the interns and that's that.

Appreciate any insight into it. Thank you.

Most (but not all) consulting firms will have a couple different start dates and most that I've seen are ten week internships. It will be a bit tricky since you seem to have an early start date for classes, which means you'd probably want to start the first week of June. All of this assumes that you would get a consulting offer, industry jobs can be both in the flexible and inflexible camps as far as start dates go. It's probably best to talk with some students to figure out what the range was. If it were me, I might shoot for very close to after finals just to be on the safe side, even if it ends up making your last week of classes somewhat stressful. I think the gist is that it will be a little tricky, I hope everything works out for you and congratulations.
GMAT Club Bot