Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

UCLA Anderson vs Texas McCombs

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V39
GRE 1: Q800 V630
GPA: 3.08
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [3]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Re: UCLA Anderson or Texas McCombs [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Congratulations on your admits!
I would probably have a slight preference towards McCombs based on the Anderson's success or lack of of international applicant search for work... even experienced international candidates with significant work experience seem to stumble at times.

P.S. It really helps if you have a good brand in the WE section of your resume.

Thanks for your response. As far as branding is concerned, I understand that Anderson has an edge. However, my main concern is whether it's a significant edge. If not, I dont plan to spend extra $35k just for branding.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
billionaire wrote:
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
Indian male engineer. Background in market research and consulting and the plan is to move to Tech post-MBA.

Admitted to UCLA Anderson and Texas McCombs. No scholarship at either of the schools. However, I have paid enrollment deposit of $2000 and student fee of $900 at McCombs.

I know both schools are great for the Tech route. Thus, not able to decide which school to choose. Parameters I am considering for making a decision are recruitment, brand name/recognition, location, and total cost of attendance.

How are Tech recruitment at UCLA for internationals with a non-tech background?

While LA is an amazing place, I have heard that Austin is a great place too. Any info on location would be helpful. Total cost of attendance for UCLA is of course higher but is it going to be considerably higher than McCombs?

Hi @BadgerNeera

Out of blue sky, I would always told you to go UCLA.

That's because I personally like UCLA and personally like LA, therefore I am little bias.

However in your particular case, there are also good reasons to go to McCombs.

McCombs is the best business school there is in Texas and excellent brand in US.

Austin is exactly what you need, tech thriving city.

In recent rankings by esteemed World Economic Forum Austin ranks as number one in the world for tech, even before San Francisco.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/04/ ... -for-tech/

UCLA: Anderson ranks on 25. place in Financial Times MBA rankings versus McCombs who is on 44. place.

UCLA: Anderson has 160,487$ starting weighted salary and 107% salary percent increase.

University of Texas at Austin: McCombs has 148,978$ starting weighted salary and 98% salary percent increase.

We can see that UCLA graduates have 7% higher salaries.

https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

Regarding living costs, it doesn't come as surprise that living in Austin is actually cheaper.

Compared toe to toe, you would need around 4,796.25$ in Austin, TX to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 5,800.00$ in Los Angeles, CA, assuming you rent in both cities.

Consumer Prices in Austin, TX are 9.01% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Austin, TX are 17.31% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.

Groceries Prices in Austin, TX are 7.98% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.

Most importantly, Local Purchasing Power in Austin, TX is 29.76% higher than in Los Angeles, CA.

Regarding rent, if you rent apartment (1 bedroom) in LA City Center that would cost you on average 2,096.61 $ versus the same apartment in Austin for 1,671.77 $ which is 20.26 % cheaper.

Of course you dont have to live in center, so again rent of apartment (1 bedroom) outside of center in LA would cost you 1,632.90 $ versus the same apartment in Austin for 1,069.73$, which is 34.49 % difference.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... Comparison

By opinion of applicants here on GMAT Club UCLA places on 13. place versus McCombs on 17. place.

I looked on Economist ranking and again UCLA is better placed, UCLA is on 6. place both regionally and overall versus McCombs on 24. (regionally) and on 35. place overall.

Furthermore, UCLA beats McCombs in every category as per Economist.

You will find more info below in picture I am posting for you.

Since you are international student McCombs will cost you around $51,804 (2017-18 academic year) versus UCLA $59,866 (2018–2019).

Moreover, here are total figures for UCLA as Estimated 2018–2019 Student Budget :

Estimated Student Charges 59,866

UC Student Health Insurance Plan 4,426

Room/Board 21,473

Computer Allowance (1st year only) 986

Books/Supplies 1,073

Travel 4,652

Personal 4,787

Loan Fees 1,436

Total $98,699

All in all, if you can afford you should go to UCLA, I would :)

Having said all that, I dont think you can go wrong with Austin, especially since you already invested $2900.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted ! :)

Thank you sooo much for such a detailed response. I am inclining towards McCombs because of huge costs involved with Anderson. The opportunities appear to be more or less the same at both these schools.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts