GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 19:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UG Seeking Advice+Profile Evaluation for Top B-Schools (HBS, LBS, HEC)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V50
UG Seeking Advice+Profile Evaluation for Top B-Schools (HBS, LBS, HEC) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 23:37
Hello,

I'm in the midst of applying for Msc Management and similar programs now and am looking for any suggestions on how to improve my applications / what to emphasise on my profile.

My Profile -
Asian-Singaporean, ethnic Chinese
GMAT: 780 (Q51, V45), AWA 5.5
Undergrad Degree: LLB Law, Durham University, UK (currently in my final year)
Grades: Low 2.1, 62% average
Extra-curricular activities:
- Participated in a few Europe business games, placed in finals for a couple challenges
- Various student club leadership positions at university (pretty law-related)
- captain of college basketball team (more of a school club thing rather than university-level competition)
Work Experience:
- 1 internship at a small tech startup
- 3 internships at big law firms in Singapore (M&A, Intellectual Property, Commercial work)
- 2 years in the Singapore military as a sergeant (probably will not emphasize this)

My weaknesses I feel would be my poor undergraduate grades and not-too-exemplary extra-curricular activities. Most of my previous work experience has been law-related as I've only recently come to a decision to not pursue the law path.

My dream in the long haul would be to do an MBA in the US at a reputable business school and work in the US afterward. My short-term goal would be to do an MiM in Europe, preferably London, and to go into consulting after for a few years, hopefully MBB but also at other firms such as Strategy&, etc.

The schools I am applying to are:
US, MBAs - HBS 2+2, Yale SOM
UK, MiM - LBS, LSE, Imperial College London
Paris, MiM - HEC Paris

Would like advice on my profile for Masters applications and the viability of me getting into these schools. Also on which schools would give me the best chance of getting into the MBB consulting firms, or if there are any schools I may have overlooked. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: UG Seeking Advice+Profile Evaluation for Top B-Schools (HBS, LBS, HEC) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 19:50
Hi eternaloptimist,

Thanks for reaching out! You have a really interesting profile. Impressive GMAT! One thing to definitely emphasize is your military experience -- schools really value that service and leadership gained. I would also emphasize your mix of experience at a big law firm and a startup -- focus on the positives of what you learned (about yourself, your values, your goals) from working in those two very different environments.

My only concern is your grades. So first priority should be on ensuring a strong finish to your degree; that way schools can at least see an upward trend on your transcript. The GMAT will help a lot with this, but I think the low grades may be too much of a challenge at extremely competitive programs like HBS 2+2 and Yale Silver Scholars. You can still give them a shot, but I worry most about your chances there. The other programs I think you will be competitive at. As for other schools, I think you have a good list, INSEAD is excellent for consulting but I believe only has an MBA option not the MiM.

I think your extracurricular leadership sounds quite strong -- keep that up!

Best of luck!
Kate

eternaloptimist wrote:
Hello,

I'm in the midst of applying for Msc Management and similar programs now and am looking for any suggestions on how to improve my applications / what to emphasise on my profile.

My Profile -
Asian-Singaporean, ethnic Chinese
GMAT: 780 (Q51, V45), AWA 5.5
Undergrad Degree: LLB Law, Durham University, UK (currently in my final year)
Grades: Low 2.1, 62% average
Extra-curricular activities:
- Participated in a few Europe business games, placed in finals for a couple challenges
- Various student club leadership positions at university (pretty law-related)
- captain of college basketball team (more of a school club thing rather than university-level competition)
Work Experience:
- 1 internship at a small tech startup
- 3 internships at big law firms in Singapore (M&A, Intellectual Property, Commercial work)
- 2 years in the Singapore military as a sergeant (probably will not emphasize this)

My weaknesses I feel would be my poor undergraduate grades and not-too-exemplary extra-curricular activities. Most of my previous work experience has been law-related as I've only recently come to a decision to not pursue the law path.

My dream in the long haul would be to do an MBA in the US at a reputable business school and work in the US afterward. My short-term goal would be to do an MiM in Europe, preferably London, and to go into consulting after for a few years, hopefully MBB but also at other firms such as Strategy&, etc.

The schools I am applying to are:
US, MBAs - HBS 2+2, Yale SOM
UK, MiM - LBS, LSE, Imperial College London
Paris, MiM - HEC Paris

Would like advice on my profile for Masters applications and the viability of me getting into these schools. Also on which schools would give me the best chance of getting into the MBB consulting firms, or if there are any schools I may have overlooked. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

UG Seeking Advice+Profile Evaluation for Top B-Schools (HBS, LBS, HEC)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap