Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Unable to Cancel my Unofficial Score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi ab020596,

I'm sorry to hear about this technical issue - and I understand how unsettling it may be. That having been said, most Schools do not care if you take the GMAT more than once, so if you end up having more than one Score on-record, then that's likely not going to be a big deal. The more relevant issue is in how you might best proceed with your studies - so that you can hit your Score Goal on your next attempt. Before I can offer you the specific advice to help you towards that Goal, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Unable to Cancel my Unofficial Score [#permalink]
Quote:
I called customer support and they said they have raised a ticket and gave me a case number. However, I only have about 7-8 hours left to cancel. Would they give me an extension since the glitch is on their end?

Hopefully GMAC will cancel it. Ultimately, their policy gives 72 hours to the student to cancel and your case ticket time/date is proof of your request and that you're within that window.

Quote:
For context, I scored a 690 (Q45, V39, IR 8) and I would definitely need above 720-730 for most of the programs I'm targeting.

All the best on the retake. Consider getting the ESR. For Quant, it may show the subtopics to potentially work on. If you feel your Verbal fundamentals are solid, consider working on your solving approach. May boost your score a bit. Had a 6-hour student who went from a V41 to a V45 in about 10 days so this sort of learning doesn't necessarily have to take very long. Perhaps work with a study buddy who is strong on Verbal to see how they approach the section.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ab020596,

I think things should work out for you but if you do not hear back from the folks at GMAC by tomorrow afternoon give them another call.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Update - Hello, the GMAC team took a pretty long time to get back to me and it wasn't easy at all. I had to call and email them 20 times over the past month. They are saying that despite the issue I faced, they can't really cancel my scores since it's past the 72-hour window but they can revoke my score if I so wish. My score report would then show a 'T' for the next 5 years. I'm not sure how helpful that would be because I've never heard of anyone having a 'T' for a test center exam. Despite the fact that they say that the 'T' indicates that the issue was out of the candidate's control, I'm not sure how schools would perceive that. So, I wanted to get your thoughts. I have 3 major thoughts right now:
  • I'm definitely going to retake and the plan to get at least 730 (goal is 740/750). But if in case I'm unable to break past 710/720. Would a 690-710 look better or a 'T'-710?
  • I'm not sure how much I should pay heed to this issue now since it has already taken up too much of my time and energy. I just had to get an answer because it was a mess up on their end but now their answer doesn't really seem to change the situation much and I feel like I should focus on other things. Is there anything else I can do now?
  • If I keep the 690 and then score higher, would I need to address the previous lower score in my essay somewhere?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Unable to Cancel my Unofficial Score [#permalink]
Quote:
If I keep the 690 and then score higher, would I need to address the previous lower score in my essay somewhere?

Fair to say if you score a 730, for example, you don't NEED to specifically address/talk about the 690 in that case in your essays. Consider asking this in one of the business school subforums to hear what some MBA consultants may say as well.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
ab020596 wrote:
Update - Hello, the GMAC team took a pretty long time to get back to me and it wasn't easy at all. I had to call and email them 20 times over the past month. They are saying that despite the issue I faced, they can't really cancel my scores since it's past the 72-hour window but they can revoke my score if I so wish. My score report would then show a 'T' for the next 5 years. I'm not sure how helpful that would be because I've never heard of anyone having a 'T' for a test center exam. Despite the fact that they say that the 'T' indicates that the issue was out of the candidate's control, I'm not sure how schools would perceive that. So, I wanted to get your thoughts. I have 3 major thoughts right now:
  • I'm definitely going to retake and the plan to get at least 730 (goal is 740/750). But if in case I'm unable to break past 710/720. Would a 690-710 look better or a 'T'-710?
  • I'm not sure how much I should pay heed to this issue now since it has already taken up too much of my time and energy. I just had to get an answer because it was a mess up on their end but now their answer doesn't really seem to change the situation much and I feel like I should focus on other things. Is there anything else I can do now?
  • If I keep the 690 and then score higher, would I need to address the previous lower score in my essay somewhere?

Thanks!

To be honest, I would not worry about both scores showing. It really should not negatively affect you.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts