It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive dat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive dat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 08:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:12) correct 26% (01:34) wrong based on 258 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive data while assessing the business rationale of a deal, helping to develop an integrated business plan, and supporting negotiations.

A. while assessing the business rationale of a deal, helping to develop an integrated business plan, and supporting
B. while also assessing the business concerns for a deal, as well as helping the development of an integrated business plan, and to support the
C. and assess the rationale of a deal from a business perspective, help the development of an integrated business plan, and supporting relevant
D. while facilitating the assessment of a business rationale of a deal, help to develop a business plan of integration, and supporting the
E. and assist the assessment of the deal's business rationale, helping to develop an integrated plan for the business, and support

I have a specific question :: Option E is in this form: protect an assist,adverbial modifier, and support. Can this be a grammatically valid format...

I really not comfortable distinguishing the difference between "series of verbs" & "adverbial modifier after a verb".
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 412

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 319 [5], given: 53

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive dat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
RaviChandra wrote:
Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive data while assessing the business rationale of a deal, helping to develop an integrated business plan, and supporting negotiations.

A. while assessing the business rationale of a deal, helping to develop an integrated business plan, and supporting
B. while also assessing the business concerns for a deal, as well as helping the development of an integrated business plan, and to support the
C. and assess the rationale of a deal from a business perspective, help the development of an integrated business plan, and supporting relevant
D. while facilitating the assessment of a business rationale of a deal, help to develop a business plan of integration, and supporting the
E. and assist the assessment of the deal's business rationale, helping to develop an integrated plan for the business, and support

I have a specific question :: Option E is in this form: protect an assist,adverbial modifier, and support. Can this be a grammatically valid format...

I really not comfortable distinguishing the difference between "series of verbs" & "adverbial modifier after a verb".

The format of the sentence is:
Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive data while X,Y and Z.
In option A: X,Y and Z are parallel.

In option E the sentence has the following format:
Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive data and X, adverbial modifier, and Y.
X and Y are part of the same list. So using "and" twice is wrong.

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Kudos [?]: 319 [5], given: 53

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 03:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 23:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 01:24
The original sentence begins with a simple present tense statement, “clean teams can protect sensitive
data” that is followed by three verb phrases that are logically parallel in the sentence, and so should
be structurally parallel as well. The sentence maintains a parallel construction, using the “-ing” form of
each verb (assessing, helping, supporting). Finally, the sentence is clear and concise.

(A) CORRECT. The first choice is correct as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This sentence unnecessarily introduces the connecting phrases “while also” and “as well as”; these
phrases are wordy, not grammatically required, and do not improve the clarity of the sentence. The
concluding phrase “to support the negotiations” is not parallel with the earlier verb phrases, and
incorrectly uses the article “the,” which is unclear given that negotiations were not referenced earlier.

(C) The conjunction “and” joins the first verb phrase with the original statement, which
changes the original meaning of the sentence; the correct "while" indicating that the
teams can protect sensitive data even while using it. The first and second verb phrases use the
simple present tense (“assess" and "help"). However, the last phrase “and supporting relevant
negotiations” completely breaks the parallelism and is thus incorrect. Also, this choice is unnecessarily
wordy in two ways: It uses the phrase “the rationale of a deal from a business perspective” as
opposed to “business rationale” in earlier choices, and it introduces the word “relevant” which adds no
meaning, as clearly only relevant negotiations are to be supported.

(D) The second verb phrase, “help to develop a business plan of integration” is structurally not parallel
to the equivalent phrases that begin with "facilitating" and "supporting." Also, that phrase is wordier
without making the meaning clearer. In addition, this choice incorrectly uses the article “the,” which is
unclear given that negotiations were not referenced earlier. Finally, this choice is unnecessarily wordy
in its use of “facilitating the assessment” in place of simply “assessing.”

(E) Here, “helping to develop an integrated plan for the business” is not parallel to "assist" and
"support," as it must be. Also, the first verb phrase is awkward in its use of “assist the assessment”
and “the deal’s business rationale” where no particular deal is being discussed.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 855

Re: Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive dat   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2017, 01:24

Unbiased third-party "clean" teams can protect sensitive dat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap