GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Undergraduate Degree in BA(Top University Europe) vs Top MBA in Europe

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Undergraduate Degree in BA(Top University Europe) vs Top MBA in Europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 04:39
I've an undergraduate degree in Business Administration on a Top University in Europe (University of St. Gallen). Is there any value (besides networking or access to jobs) in the MBA academic experience (Business knowledge) in INSEAD or LBS MBA itself? My primary Goal is to learn more and deeper business knowledge in general management to become a CEO of a big company one day or to start my own company. I can't understand how the people with different backgrounds can learn more valuable things in 11-14 months which we've studied for 3 years at the University in St. Gallen. If I compare the undergrad wages vs MBA wages there is a huge difference. Can someone explain me why? The MBA curriculum looks very similar like our curriculum in undergrad.
Thanks very much!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Undergraduate Degree in BA(Top University Europe) vs Top MBA in Europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 16:20
zeroday wrote:
I've an undergraduate degree in Business Administration on a Top University in Europe (University of St. Gallen). Is there any value (besides networking or access to jobs) in the MBA academic experience (Business knowledge) in INSEAD or LBS MBA itself? My primary Goal is to learn more and deeper business knowledge in general management to become a CEO of a big company one day or to start my own company. I can't understand how the people with different backgrounds can learn more valuable things in 11-14 months which we've studied for 3 years at the University in St. Gallen. If I compare the undergrad wages vs MBA wages there is a huge difference. Can someone explain me why? The MBA curriculum looks very similar like our curriculum in undergrad.
Thanks very much!

Hello zeroday

In general you have asked very interesting question.

Your reasoning is in place.

You are right....University of St.Gallen is top university.

You have asked about value regarding knowledge....I would say there would be little to add at MBA studies in one year compared to 3 or 4 years of undergraduate studies, especially from top undergraduate instituition like yours.

You will maybe have some new subject that you perhaps didnt had on bachelor studies, for instance that could be research metodology, the rest will be more or less probably the same, maybe with just little advance topics from same subjects like financial management, marketing management, information systems management, human resource management, international business, corporate finance, investments, entrepreneurship and so on.

What will be different for sure is master thesis...you will learn how to write one serious research on topic that interest you and defend it.

There is also possibility that you may have to write something like business development plan instead.

I provided you with usual curriculum of general management route...you can specialize in any direction, for instance in finance, then you would have many related subjects that will go deeper and wider than on your bachelor studies, which can be fun and new to you, for instance financial risk management, quantitative finance and so on, in finance specialization.

Main reason people do go to MBA is exactly what you stated, prestige, networking and access to better payed jobs.

MBA degree was designed in US for managers who needed education in order to obtain top management positions...after some time spent in company, they could not advance anymore on corporate ladder without MBA degree.

This is how all started and Europe just followed the trend.

Lets be honest just in terms of education, you wil NOT learn that much :) ....but you will be provided with opportunities that otherwise you will not have in terms of job prospects, upon graduation.

Moreover, you can meet interesting peers and form life lasting friendships and business collaborations, okay that should be true for any top master program, just on MBA that is kind of whole point, so it is at least on one level higher.

So it does pay to go to LBS or INSEAD keeping in mind your short term and long term goals of becoming CEO and founding your own company, although you will not learn that much, that you could not do on your own ;)

I doubt there are many CEO's in major companies without MBA degree, if any.

That kinda answers your question and conundrum.

On MBA they will try to train you to solve business problems usually via case studies, to complete group business projects etc. it will be more practical and business oriented and less academic.

If you are interested in deeper knowledge, you should think at some point about PhD, rather than DBA, before that MBA will serve to your purpose of advancement in your career.

Top MBA programs would be like smaller "secret" societies...it is not that much about knowledge...it is about recruting for top positions, that pays dividends in many years to come. :shh:

Good Luck ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Undergraduate Degree in BA(Top University Europe) vs Top MBA in Europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 16:46
Hello billionaire ....... thanks a bunch . Not only for a very nice read but also for an well expressed open secret . Hope the top secret societies do not hunt you down here after. :lol: :lol:

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 23:14
Dear billionaire your answer is very valuable and an eye opener for me thank you very much for that. Can I ask you about your background?

Posted from my mobile device
D
Premium Member CAT Tests
Undergraduate Degree in BA(Top University Europe) vs Top MBA in Europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 21:40
zeroday wrote:
Dear billionaire your answer is very valuable and an eye opener for me thank you very much for that. Can I ask you about your background?

Posted from my mobile device

Hello zeroday

You are welcome.

Since you asked me the same question via pm and shared some new personal information along with some additional questions, I will reply there, assuming you don't want those info to be disclosed here.

Hi u1983

:thumbup:

They will not, I am already a "member". :cool:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 05:35
billionaire wrote:
You are welcome.

Dear billionaire

Thank you very much for your help and answer. Its very useful and I appreciate it very much. I've sent you a new message with a little bit more personal questions, would be great if you could answer them :-)
For the other members who have done both or an MBA every opinion and answer is welcome. Thanks very much!
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 12:41
zeroday wrote:
billionaire wrote:
You are welcome.

Dear billionaire

Thank you very much for your help and answer. Its very useful and I appreciate it very much. I've sent you a new message with a little bit more personal questions, would be great if you could answer them :-)
For the other members who have done both or an MBA every opinion and answer is welcome. Thanks very much!

Hello zeroday

I have answered all your questions via pm in very detailed way.

Here I will share only generic advice's, that can be useful for others and that do not contain personal info or details intended to remain undisclosed.

If you want to go to US then MBA makes a difference.

Also outside of Switzerland, MBA does carry more weight than in your home country, I can see you are already aware of that.

Switzerland is great and very specific country...many working people there can enjoy significant standard of living, even those less educated, with average jobs or skills...I don"t believe that can be outmatched anywhere else on planet.

Yes, I am aware of Tidjane Thiam :) I was watching his interview on Bloomberg...and was amazed how he from African upbringings managed to become CEO of esteemed Credit Swiss, so I checked his biography.

What specialization you would potentially like to pursue on MBA or Master....Entrepreneurship or Computer Science or ?

If you decide to go to MBA at St. Gallen...you can also take part time route...so you can work at same time...so total cost of studying will be cheaper....this seems to me as good solution for you.

You will not be impressed with MBA knowledge or what you will learn at MBA studies.

You will not go deep.

You can start to run your own company...even without any additional degree....now MBA could help you there, in terms of knowledge, moreover you can meet there some future business partners, who can help you to start company either as founding partners or investors.

But don't expect wonders in terms of knowledge if you decide to follow that path.

You will learn more on other master studies...especially if master is maybe 2 years long...but anyway any other master you choose in specific subject, will win over MBA in terms of knowledge gained.

Yes, with MBA degree you can become potentially CEO of big company one day.

If money is your goal, MBA is degree for you.

Now, in Switzerland you will have that anyway, whatever you decide, your standard of living will remain to be awesome compared to most of other countries :)

If entrepreneurship is also something where your passion lies, MBA is for you..although on master in entrepreneurship you will learn more about it.

US is probably the best country for entrepreneurship endeavors...if you are in IT business...or you want to apply there your entrepreneurship skills, California is probably best place to be.

Dealing with entrepreneurship in Switzerland is much more safer option, in US there are big gains but also bigger risks.

There are a lot of personal questions to be answered, that really only you can answer.

In your shoes, Univ St. Gallen seems like best option to me by far...especially part time solution.....moreover usually lectures on MSc should start let say at 17h or 18h, so there is chance you can do both, therefore:

1. MSc Univ St. Gallen, for instance Business Management (strongly entrepreneurial mind-set – be it for start-up firms or large corporations) seems like ideal for you ;) :cool: or Business Innovation, or whatever interest you...

2. MBA Univ St. Gallen

I hope it helps ! :cool:

GMAT Club Bot
Undergraduate Degree in BA(Top University Europe) vs Top MBA in Europe &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2018, 12:41

Undergraduate Degree in BA(Top University Europe) vs Top MBA in Europe

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: DigitsnLetters

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap