GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 04:40

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Unlike a hurricane, which can be observed from within, a tornado is so

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Unlike a hurricane, which can be observed from within, a tornado is so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Nov 2018, 04:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (00:46) correct 29% (00:48) wrong based on 531 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike a hurricane, which can be observed from within, a tornado is so small that such a study has not been practical.

(A) that such a study has not been practical

(B) that studying it that way has not been impractical

(C) for such studies as this to have been impractical

(D) as to not make such a study practical

(E) as to be impractical of study

Hi guys. This question was posted before, but i cannot understand what's wrong with E.... "Unlike a hurricane, .... , a tornado is so small as to be impractical of study" seems good to me :? .... help pls... Thanks

Originally posted by GMATPIPO on 25 Dec 2004, 17:13.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Nov 2018, 04:33, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Director
Director
Re: Unlike a hurricane, which can be observed from within, a tornado is so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2007, 12:01
Unlike a hurricane, which can be observed from within, a tornado is so small that such a study has not been practical.

Please explain your answer.
I would specifically like to know whether "so X that Y" is preferred to "so X as to Y" in many instances. I could not access a previous post by Paul on this as it was deleted.

Paul, can you please re-post the link here?
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t12402 is where you had posted the link for the usage of "so X that Y" and its preference to "so X as to Y" in many instances.
Director
Director
Re: Unlike a hurricane, which can be observed from within, a tornado is so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Oct 2007, 14:22
Her story is so amazing as to be unbelievable
Her story is so amazing that we find it hard to believe.

Both are correct.

thus, so X as to be Y , where Y is an adjective-----> correct
so X that Y, where Y is a clause.-------> correct

Originally posted by IrinaOK on 16 Oct 2007, 14:09.
Last edited by IrinaOK on 16 Oct 2007, 14:22, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re:  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2013, 09:48
Paul wrote:

There is a lot we can do with meaning on this question. The question is setting up a comparison between how hurricanes and tornadoes can be studied. Hurricanes can be studied from within but tornadoes cannot. Let's go over each answer choice.

A - "such a study" refers us back to how hurricanes are studied from within and how this type of internal study is not practical with tornadoes - CORRECT
B - "has not been impractical" brings in a double negative, changing the meaning to say that we CAN study tornadoes from within - INCORRECT
C - "so small for" is not idiomatic, "such studies as this" does not necessarily refer back to the internal studies done in hurricanes, "to have been impractical" is awkward phrasing - INCORRECT
D - "not make such a study practical" is unclear wording and not preferred ("not make practical" is weak/unclear wording, "impractical" is strong/clear wording) - INCORRECT
E - uses the stronger "impractical" wording, however the meaning changes in this answer; the original intent was that tornadoes could not be studied FROM WITHIN, but this wording suggests that tornadoes cannot be studied AT ALL - INCORRECT

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 01:38
GMATPIPO wrote:

Hi guys. This question was posted before, but i cannot understand what's wrong with E.... "Unlike a hurricane, .... , a tornado is so small as to be impractical of study" seems good to me :? .... help pls... Thanks

in d, "to not make" is wrong. it must be "not to make".
if a is correct "such a" can refer to an previous idea/clause. is that right?
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 11:22
thangvietnam wrote:

Hello thangvietnam,

Your analysis about Choice D is correct.

Choice A indeed is the correct answer choice. And yes, such a study can refer to an idea in the preceding clause because multiple clauses that make one sentence carry relevant information.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 19:26
egmat wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:

Hello thangvietnam,

Your analysis about Choice D is correct.

Choice A indeed is the correct answer choice. And yes, such a study can refer to an idea in the preceding clause because multiple clauses that make one sentence carry relevant information.

Thanks.
Shraddha

what i want to say is that " such a study " can refer to an idea in preceding clause and a noun in preceding clause

I take the study of gmat ;such study is good to my english.

is also a correct sentence. is that right?
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 07:50
thangvietnam wrote:

what i want to say is that " such a study " can refer to an idea in preceding clause and a noun in preceding clause

I take the study of gmat ;such study is good to my english.

is also a correct sentence. is that right?

Hello thangvietnam,

Well, the idea that you want to get validated is correct. And I said the same in my previous post as well.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike a hurricane, which can be observed from within, a tornado is so &nbs [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 07:50

Unlike a hurricane, which can be observed from within, a tornado is so

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap