Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.96
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day [#permalink]
ElninoEffect wrote:
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, in Finnmark the sun rises only from late January through November, and during the other two months the county experiences polar night and polar twilight, in which the sun never appears above the horizon.

A) Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, in Finnmark the sun

B) Unlike most of Norway's residents who can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, the sun in Finnmark

C) Unlike those of most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, Finnmark's sun

D) In comparison with most of Norway, whose residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, the sun in Finnmark

E) In most of Norway, residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, but in Finnmark the sun

Two countries have been compared Norway and Finmark.

A) Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, in Finnmark the sun
Norway has been compared to Finnmark. (Correct comparison) Sentence makes sense.

B) Unlike most of Norway's residents who can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, the sun in Finnmark
Norway's residents have been compared to the sun in Finnmark. -Wrong comparison.

C) Unlike those of most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, Finnmark's sun
Norway's suns have been compared to Finnmark's sun.?????? - Wrong comparison

D) In comparison with most of Norway, whose residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, the sun in Finnmark
Norway has been compared to the sun in Finnmark - Wrong comparison.

E) In most of Norway, residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, but in Finnmark the sun
A verb is missing for the subject, Sentence is incomplete. If , is removed before the residents then it will be ok but then the comparison is weird. Norway residents rely on something to in Finnmark the sun.

I think options other than A have major errors. However, can you please explain why is A correct? Isn’t there a parellelism error?

Unlike most of Norway…. In Finland?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Correct answer choice: E

Solution
>> Unlike in most of Norway..., in Finnmark >> Lacks parallelism
>> Also, "Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, in Finnmark the sun rises..." (crossing off the non-essential relative clause) >> Suggests the sun rises differently in "most of Norway" than in other parts of Norway, which is then being compared to the sun's rising in Finnmark

>> The sun in Finnmark compared to Norway's residents >> Incorrect comparison

>> Unlike those? >> No antecedent to the pronoun used

>> In comparison with to >> Incorrect usage of idiom
>> Also, the sun in Finnmark compared to most of Norway >> Incorrect comparison

>> Correct choice by simple elimination
>> Proper usage of coordinating conjunction (FANBOYS) with preceding comma >> Correct contrast shown

Originally posted by GMATVirtuoso on 31 Dec 2021, 02:09.
Last edited by GMATVirtuoso on 31 Dec 2021, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day [#permalink]
I think options other than A have major errors. However, can you please explain why is A correct? Isn’t there a parellelism error?

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]

We are not supposed to use preposition after 'like' only a noun or noun phrase should follow like.

So use of- Unlike in most of Norway - is wrong.! |forced parallelism.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
My answer is (E). It took me 01:12.

(A) "the sun" cannot be compared with "most of Norway".
(B) "the sun" cannot be compared with " most of Norway's residents".
(C) "Finnmark's sun" cannot be compared with "those of most of Norway". In addition, we are not sure what "those" refers to.
(D) "the sun" cannot be compared with "most of Norway". In addition, the fact that the sun in Finnmark rises only from late January through November does not need to be attested by comparison with Norway's.

(E) A properly constructed coordinating sentence:
IC1 + COMMA + FANBOYS + IC2 + FANBOYS + IC3. (IC stands for independent clause)
IC1: residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year
IC2: the sun rises only from late January through November
IC3: the county experiences polar night and polar twilight
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
zhanbo wrote:
My answer is (E). It took me 01:12.

(A) "the sun" cannot be compared with "most of Norway".
(B) "the sun" cannot be compared with " most of Norway's residents".
(C) "Finnmark's sun" cannot be compared with "those of most of Norway". In addition, we are not sure what "those" refers to.
(D) "the sun" cannot be compared with "most of Norway". In addition, the fact that the sun in Finnmark rises only from late January through November does not need to be attested by comparison with Norway's.

(E) A properly constructed coordinating sentence:
IC1 + COMMA + FANBOYS + IC2 + FANBOYS + IC3. (IC stands for independent clause)
IC1: residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year
IC2: the sun rises only from late January through November
IC3: the county experiences polar night and polar twilight

What about In most of the Norway which is coming before the IC1 and there is a COMMA between them. Isn't the IC1 supposed to act as a modifier.?
also
For A my thinking is that a situation is compared with most of the Norway to in Finnmark.

Please help me figure out the flaws in my reasoning.!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day [#permalink]
ElninoEffect wrote:

Quote:
We are not supposed to use preposition after 'like' only a noun or noun phrase should follow like.

Yes you are right regarding the usage of like/unlike. However, the construction could have been better. The parallelism does not make much sense in option A. It could have been 'Unlike most of Norway... Finland'. In this case use of unlike is correct along with correct usage of parallelism.
Secondly, if you notice, to make the sentence correct in terms of usage of like, the Noun clause 'where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year' is used as a modifier. This noun clause is important to the meaning of the sentence, hence it cannot be used as a modifier.

In my opinion, option E is correct.

Originally posted by lovikansal on 31 Dec 2021, 05:55.
Last edited by lovikansal on 31 Dec 2021, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
lovikansal wrote:
ElninoEffect wrote:

Quote:

Yes you are right regarding the usage of like/unlike. However, the construction could have been better. The parallelism does not make much sense in option A. It could have either been 'Unlike most of Norway... Finland' or been 'In most of Norway unlike... Finland'. In both of these cases use of unlike is correct along with correct usage of parallelism.
Secondly, if you notice, to make the sentence correct in terms of usage of like the Noun clause 'where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year' is used as a modifier. This noun clause is important to the meaning of the sentence, hence it cannot be used as a modifier.

You may be right.! Not arguing on that part just one question what is the role of, residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, in E since it is also between two COMMA's.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ElninoEffect wrote:
lovikansal wrote:
ElninoEffect wrote:

Quote:

Yes you are right regarding the usage of like/unlike. However, the construction could have been better. The parallelism does not make much sense in option A. It could have either been 'Unlike most of Norway... Finland' or been 'In most of Norway unlike... Finland'. In both of these cases use of unlike is correct along with correct usage of parallelism.
Secondly, if you notice, to make the sentence correct in terms of usage of like the Noun clause 'where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year' is used as a modifier. This noun clause is important to the meaning of the sentence, hence it cannot be used as a modifier.

You may be right.! Not arguing on that part just one question what is the role of, residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, in E since it is also between two COMMA's.

I am not sure as well. But this is what I think. There is a difference in the usage of 'where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year' in option A and E.

Inn this sentence, the author is trying to compare two scenarios. First scenario is: sunrise everyday of the year in Norway. Second scenario: sunrise from late January to November during the year.

In A, the use of unlike is comparing nouns (as you suggested before), not the scenarios. While using unlike, 'where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year' is used as a modifier to modify Norway.

However, in E, prepositional phrase 'In most of Norway' is used before IC 'residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year'. Also, because 'residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year' is between two commas, it doesn't mean that it is a modifier. The second comma (after day of the year,) is used to separate other IC (which uses but as a connector).
The scenarios are compared in option E (using prepositional phrases), and parallelism is intact.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ElninoEffect

Be careful about reasoning about terms that are "between two commas." That's not really a consideration you want to use. If I have a clause that is preceded and followed by modifiers, then it will be between two commas, but it will not itself be a modifier. That's what we have in E. Here's a short example:

Weary from the workout, I relaxed on the couch, unwilling to get back to work.

The main clause is just "I relaxed." Everything else is a modifier. The fact that this main clause is between two commas has no effect on its status.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1612 [0]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, in Finnmark the sun rises only from late January through November, and during the other two months the county experiences polar night and polar twilight, in which the sun never appears above the horizon.

A) Unlike most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, in Finnmark the sun Incorrect

after through analysis between A & E, I choose E because most of norway compare with other things in finmark. so that made me doubted

B) Unlike most of Norway's residents who can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, the sun in Finnmark Incorrect

comparison error - residents compare with sun

C) Unlike those of most of Norway, where residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, Finnmark's sun Incorrect

missing parallelism - those of most of Norway compare with sun

D) In comparison with most of Norway, whose residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, the sun in Finnmark Incorrect

comparison error - most of Norway compare with sun

E) In most of Norway, residents can rely on a sunrise every day of the year, but in Finnmark the sun Correct

seems correct
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts