Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Unlike most suspension bridges, the main cables of the [#permalink]
grepro - evidently we're both wrong regardless of D or E. I think i'm going to disagree with the OA, even though Suresh hasn't posted a question I disagree with...yet :-D

grepro wrote:
I agree that which refers to galvanized wire and change my ans to D. Somehow missed this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Send PM
You are correct mate the OA seems to be C (11-p306618?t=43377) though no one agree to that
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2901 [0]
Send PM
according to the meaning of the statement given here ,protection from rust is for main cables :(
the funda of which is fine ,
If the OA were C ,only doubt that remains is THOSE in the below sentence refers to what bridges or main cables ?????those immediately follows bridges

Unlike the main cables of most suspension bridges those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire -> wordy and ambiguous they
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
you pulled this from the other thread within GMATClub? If you know of the external source, please state so, otherwise, this is a horribly question and I disagree with it!

Suresh...since you pulled this from within GMATClub, i won't let this tarnish your record! Every SC question you post I agree with the OA. I may not agree right away, but I've always seen the question as a good question and I eventually see why the OA is correct. You post high quality questions (except for this one :-D) lol.

x2suresh wrote:
grepro wrote:
You are correct mate the OA seems to be C (https://gmatclub.com/forum/11-p306618?t=43377) though no one agree to that

yeap!! this the source..
Director
Director
Send PM
:(
this is one hell of a question
I actually don't agree with C as OA .Its too wordy and awkward.We can form a better sentence than C .whats the source of this Q??
:shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
How could C be correct? I thought about how this would work when I first saw the question but the complete sentence would be:

Unlike the main cables of most suspension bridges those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion.

I mean it's a little technical but isn't the underlined part being replaced? Makes for a wordy and confusing sentence...
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
You're right, the underlined part is being replaced. I think this sentence could be corrected very easily. See the comma before "those".

droopy57 wrote:
How could C be correct? I thought about how this would work when I first saw the question but the complete sentence would be:

Unlike the main cables of most suspension bridges, those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion.

I mean it's a little technical but isn't the underlined part being replaced? Makes for a wordy and confusing sentence...
Director
Director
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
you pulled this from the other thread within GMATClub? If you know of the external source, please state so, otherwise, this is a horribly question and I disagree with it!

Suresh...since you pulled this from within GMATClub, i won't let this tarnish your record! Every SC question you post I agree with the OA. I may not agree right away, but I've always seen the question as a good question and I eventually see why the OA is correct. You post high quality questions (except for this one :-D) lol.

x2suresh wrote:
grepro wrote:
You are correct mate the OA seems to be C (11-p306618?t=43377) though no one agree to that

yeap!! this the source..

Hey,
I was just going through the few questions posted/answered by "kevincan" (scored Q 51 , V50 --790). I cam across this one..(so called stupid one by everyone.. :lol: including me). Kevincan chose C as answer...
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
In my opinion, kevincan got it wrong! lol

again,thanks for posting the question. It's always good to have some more discussion.

I think the sentence has to have a comma or it is incorrect. Otherwise, I think I would have selected it. I remember reading it and thinking "Where's the comma?"
Director
Director
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:

again,thanks for posting the question. It's always good to have some more discussion.

May be he missed V51 because he got it wrong . :roll: :-D
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
He probably did ! LOL. It's not like he scored a perfect 800!

I'll count this one as an unscored "test" test question.

x2suresh wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

May be he missed V51 because he got it wrong . :roll: :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Pardon my lingering on this stupid question but it's annoying the hell outta me. What about "from corrosion" at the end.

so "now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion".

jallenmorris wrote:
You're right, the underlined part is being replaced. I think this sentence could be corrected very easily. See the comma before "those".

droopy57 wrote:

Unlike the main cables of most suspension bridges, those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion.

VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Absolutely Droopy! Nice catch +1. C has to be incorrect. OA is wrong!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
(D) Unlike those/cables of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires protection from corrosion.

Right comparison, right use of 'requires' for singular wire...

I doubt if OA is not D.
Director
Director
Send PM
droopy57 wrote:
Pardon my lingering on this stupid question but it's annoying the hell outta me. What about "from corrosion" at the end.

so "now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion".

jallenmorris wrote:

droopy57 wrote:

good one :roll:
but one thing everytime muddles me is whether to go for meaning or grammar :roll:

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts