Last visit was: 15 Jul 2024, 01:15 It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 01:15
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35757 [53]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14758 [22]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [10]
Given Kudos: 595
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4182 [4]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America the [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:
Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, the insects seemed to some Europeans to be carrying bits of greenery to shade themselves from the tropical sun—hence the sobriquet “parasol ants.”

A) Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, the insects seemed to some Europeans to be

B) Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, some Europeans thought they were

C) On first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, it seemed to some Europeans that the insects were

D) On first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, some Europeans thought the insects were

E) On their first encounter with leaf-cutting ants in South America, some Europeans thought it was because the insects were

SC03260.02

A) Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, the insects seemed to some Europeans to be
Modifier is modifying some Europeans and not the insects
B) Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, some Europeans thought they were
Pronoun ambiguity
C) On first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, it seemed to some Europeans that the insects were
D) On first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, some Europeans thought the insects were
E) On their first encounter with leaf-cutting ants in South America, some Europeans thought it was because the insects were

IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 764 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America the [#permalink]
generis wrote:
Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, the insects seemed to some Europeans to be carrying bits of greenery to shade themselves from the tropical sun—hence the sobriquet “parasol ants.”

SC03260.02

A)Modifier error: after comma Europeans(subject) should follow
B)Their...they.. pronoun referant error :both should refer to same Noun
C)Modifier error: after comma Europeans(subject) should follow

D) Best among all options. eliminating these errors.

E)it was because....what happened next as a result ? + (hence.. structure makes a logical mess ).

Thanks. :thumbsup:
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1265 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America the [#permalink]
Kudos
AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma MentorTutoring

How safe it is to discard an option which has pronoun vs an option that has a noun it refers back to?
Quote:
Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, the insects seemed to some Europeans to be[/u] carrying bits of greenery to shade themselves from the tropical sun—hence the sobriquet “parasol ants.”

Meaning: When the Europeans first encountered leaf-cutting ants in South America, the ants seemed to carry bit of greenery
to protect themselves from sun. I don't know what sobriquet means , but in context I assumed it must be some name given to ants.
There is a clear modifier error that opening modifier is modifying. It should modify Europeans not ants.

Quote:

I did honestly spent couple of mins to discard this option. The first their seems correct to refer to Europeans.
However, can they refer back to ants by jumping over phrase: some Europeans thought?
The reference Europeans do not make sense with they.

Quote:

Here I am not even introducing any pronoun. Crisp and clear. Verb-ing modifier encountering correctly modifies: Europeans
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6971 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma MentorTutoring

How safe it is to discard an option which has pronoun vs an option that has a noun it refers back to?
Quote:
Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, the insects seemed to some Europeans to be[/u] carrying bits of greenery to shade themselves from the tropical sun—hence the sobriquet “parasol ants.”

Meaning: When the Europeans first encountered leaf-cutting ants in South America, the ants seemed to carry bit of greenery
to protect themselves from sun. I don't know what sobriquet means , but in context I assumed it must be some name given to ants.
There is a clear modifier error that opening modifier is modifying. It should modify Europeans not ants.

Quote:

I did honestly spent couple of mins to discard this option. The first their seems correct to refer to Europeans.
However, can they refer back to ants by jumping over phrase: some Europeans thought?
The reference Europeans do not make sense with they.

Quote:

Here I am not even introducing any pronoun. Crisp and clear. Verb-ing modifier encountering correctly modifies: Europeans

Hello, adkikani. We cross paths again. You are correct about the original sentence: the insects are not understood to have encountered leaf-cutting ants. This alone provides grounds for eliminating (A). In (B), we have talked about this before in our ongoing dialogue: do not be quick to add words when fewer would do. Ask yourself whether their is absolutely necessary to clarify the meaning of the sentence. It may not be that its usage is incorrect, but superfluous language is just that: unnecessary. The they in the main clause is more problematic, though. You could read it as Europeans, and that would create a rather silly sentence:

Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, some Europeans thought Europeans were carrying bits of greenery to shade themselves from the tropical sun—hence the sobriquet “parasol ants.”

The sentence seems to convey that because Europeans, some of whom were thought to be shading themselves from the sun with greenery, happened to have seen leaf-cutting ants, the Europeans put the two independent events together and named the insects "parasol ants." It is a nonsensical reading, of course, but one that can be argued by way of the grammar.

So, in short, I would only eliminate an answer with obvious grammatical or semantic problems before I might choose between more nuanced choices.

Finally, on a related side note, you brought up the word sobriquet. This term is used in more educated circles--almost exclusively in writing--to mean nickname. I would have guessed its French origin, ultimately via Latin, but all I turned up in my etymological research is that it was used in French in the sense 'tap under the chin'. The first part of that makes sense to me: sous in French means under. But the briquet part has me baffled. The only association I have for the word is lighter, as in the item used to produce a flame. I guess of unknown origin is fitting from just about every dictionary I have consulted. Language is a strange organism, evolving in ways just as strange as the life forms themselves that produce it.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Upon their first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America the [#permalink]
generis wrote:

SC03260.02

a review of doing as participle and as gerund is needed. the explanation of this grammar point available in a few but not all grammar books. to fully solve this problem, we have to understand this point of grammar.
gerund have some characteristics of noun and some characteristics of verbs\
participle have some characteristics of adjective and some characteristics of verb

doing can be a pure noun, which is diferent from gerund and partipant in that pure noun do not have any characteristics of verb while gerund and participle have some characteristics of verbs

gerund as participle can not go with possessive such as "their" . only pure noun and doing as pure noun can combine with their, his, its...
so, choice A and B are gone.

determiners such as "first' and adjective can not go with participle . they can go with only pure noun and doing as pure noun. so, "first" in choice C and D must work as adverb, modifying participle "cutting". in choice C, "cutting" refer to the subject "it". this reference is not logical. choice C is wrong.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 04 Jul 2020, 20:48.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 19 Dec 2020, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB'22 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Shouldn’t “that” be there after “some Europeans thought” in option D..i rejected this one because of this issue..pl clarify

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3539 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
mrsyks wrote:
Shouldn’t “that” be there after “some Europeans thought” in option D..i rejected this one because of this issue..pl clarify

Posted from my mobile device

Might not be a great idea to eliminate an option based on this criterion.

Another correct official question, where announced is also not followed by that:

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

In A, "Upon their first encountering...." modifies "the insects"......"the insects" cannot "encounter leaf cutting ants".......Modifier error....Eliminate
In C and E, pronoun "it" does not have any antecedent.....Eliminate C and E
In B, "Upon their first encountering....."......"their" makes this option wordier than option D......Based on wordiness, we can eliminate B

Hence, D is the correct answer.
INSEAD School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 945
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

Just watched your video on punctuations on the gmat. Thank you for that video. It was helpful.
I just wanted to confirm my understanding for this question concerning the dash part. The dash seems to be adding information indicating how the nickname 'parasol ants' came about.
A,B and C have clear errors related to pronouns and modifiers. I picked D over E. However, E seemed fine to me other than "it was because" which introduced a placeholder 'it' that seemed unnecessary. Seemed like this phrase was put in to create a sort of cause and effect with the part after the dash.
Could you please share your thoughts on the use of the dash pertaining to the meaning of the sentence specifically for options D and E?

Thanks and Regards,
Udit
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64496 [4]
Given Kudos: 1819
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos