GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Urgent Profile Evaluation (Indian,Real Estate+Startup Background)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (D), NUS '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Urgent Profile Evaluation (Indian,Real Estate+Startup Background)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 12:15
Hello Admissionado expert.

I'm considering urgently applying in National University of Singapore and Nanyang Techincal University in Round 2 and Round 3 respectively, and any two out of UCLA: Anderson, University of Virginia: Darden, Washington University: Olin, Boston University: Questrom, Rice University: Jones and Washington University: Olin in Round 3 of the current application cycle.

I'm quite unsure of my chances of admission in above colleges keeping in mind my low GMAT score, work experience in Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities of India, work profile and last rounds of admission cycle. Therefore, I request you to provide an assessment of my profile given below.

Profile:

1. Nationality: Indian
2. Gender: Male
3. Age: 28
4. GMAT Score: 680(Q48, V34)
5. CGPA: 8.41/10
6. Education: B.Tech in Civil Engineering from Vellore Institute of Technology-Vellore
7. Total Work Experience: 4 years
8. Work Profile:

a. 2 years experience in Tata Housing, a pan India real estate development subsidiary of Tata Group, with its Quality and Contracts department in which I primarily worked on revamping and automating company's various internal processes, improvement projects and regular support jobs such as contracts negotiations, training, extra-item and rate analysis, etc.

b. 2 years experience of managing a 2 million USD business of distribution of men's fabrics that I started in 2017 and that is operating in 18 cities/districts of interiors of India and dealing with 180+ clients.

Do let me know if you require any more details before you can guide me.

Moreover, I'll be grateful if you can suggest me colleges that I can target outside the list of colleges I've mentioned earlier.

Looking forward for your response and a future association.

Thank you very much.

If my post was helpful, kindly contribute a Kudos.

Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Urgent Profile Evaluation (Indian,Real Estate+Startup Background)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 19:48
My advice would actually be to wait & apply R1 this year. As an international applicant, many schools won't even accept an application from you at this point because there will not be enough time for you to get a visa. At US schools for example, there are often explicit instructions for international applicants to apply no later than R2. In addition to that, given what a tough demographic you are coming from as an Indian male engineer, your chances will just be better in R1 when they have not already accepted so many people who "look" like you on paper on some way. Your demographic is also one that tends to have very high GMAT scores (740+ for top 20 US schools) & applying R1 would also potentially give you some time to improve your score unless you already feel that a 680 is the very best you can do.

If your score does stay at 680, I would target schools where you have exceeded their GMAT average - since like I said you are coming from such an underrepresented demographic. Applying to schools where you exceed the average will mean your score differentiates you from the pack. For US schools, I'd target the 30-40 range. We typically use US News & World Report. If you want to apply to European schools, Oxford would be a reach but it's worth a shot. Schools like Manchester, Rotterdam in the Netherlands, and Warwick would be on target for you.

Since you are coming from such a tough demographic, doing everything you can to differentiate yourself will be key. Your accomplishments at work are a bit part of that, as are your career goals. The most common goals among your demographic are product manager at a tech firm as #1 and consulting as #2. If you can name goals that are NOT those, all the better! Your goals are not only a way to differentiate yourself but also the basis for your "why MBA/why our school" argument so it's critical that they be as specific as possible, not only in terms of what you want to do but also WHY this is your passion.

I hope that helps! Good luck to you! And if you do decide to wait a bit to apply & would like to have some support in terms of figuring out HOW to differentiate yourself definitely reach out to Claudia & she can put you in touch with an MBA consultant who can take a look at your specific work experience, etc & tell you more about how we could help! You can reach her at claudia@admissionado.com to set up a free consultation!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Urgent Profile Evaluation (Indian,Real Estate+Startup Background)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap