GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

USC Marshall IBEAR Program, Cornell Johnson AMBA, or Cambridge Judge?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which One Year Program?

• 0% [0]
  • 50% [3]
  • 50% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
USC Marshall IBEAR Program, Cornell Johnson AMBA, or Cambridge Judge?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Mar 2018, 12:38
Hi everyone,

I am currently debating between an MBA from the USC Marshall IBEAR Program, Cornell Johnson one-year MBA, or Cambridge Judge MBA. I have approx 9 years of work experience including rising through the ranks of a non-MBB consulting firm. I thought that an MBA would be a good time to see if I can use this time to break into MBB or explore other interests (or at the very least transition back to my consulting firm in a new office but with the ability to negotiate a better salary/position.

Which program would you suggest? I prefer the warmer states, California would be great, but location is not too much of a factor, and would be quite happy with somewhere on the east coast including NYC - the best work opportunity will ultimately drive my decision. Which program has the better opportunity for me to pursue my goals?

I have also applied to Cambridge Judge but I am not sure that the Cambridge name would translate well in the US or would the other two programs have a much larger advantage given that they are US programs? Judge also gives me the opportunity to pursue other opportunities beyond consulting since they do allow for an internship.

Thank you all for your input.

Originally posted by thesenator2017 on 01 Feb 2018, 03:38.
Last edited by thesenator2017 on 31 Mar 2018, 12:38, edited 3 times in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: USC Marshall IBEAR Program, Cornell Johnson AMBA, or Cambridge Judge?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 12:07
Congratulations on your great admits!

Interesting situation - it is good you have the bridge/option to go to your consulting firm back in the US - that gives a baseline of something. I would pick Johnson.

I don't know a whole lot about Judge/Cambridge and its brand in the US. I don't see many folks moving to the states after graduating and it is definitely not a big alum network. I don't see a lot of value going to Judge per se. Let me know if I missed anything (the only thing is that it would allow your wife to keep working in the UK and let you stay there for another 18 months). Moving back to the US after bschool may look like you failed to find a job in the UK and moving back home to lick your wounds (that is of course not true but that still makes it for an awkward interview answer as to why you moved to the US and why did you move after Judge...)

I feel that if you are looking to move back to the US, there is a lot of sense to get an MBA from the US (recruiting will be more straightforward, you can take advantage/part-take in the on-campus recruiting events, be on the same time zone, and finally have a US school name on your list, and alumni in the same hemisphere). Sounds like you worked for a well known consulting firm, so you should have a solid work experience record with some brownie points for having international exposure. MBB would only happen at Johnson as they offer on-campus recruiting. USC's on campus opportunities are much more scarce.

Johnson's Employment Report (2-yr program)
https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Portals ... Report.pdf

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
USC Marshall IBEAR Program, Cornell Johnson AMBA, or Cambridge Judge?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Mar 2018, 12:39
Thanks for the reply. This is helpful.

For me, Cambridge just seems like a completely different experience than the business schools that you see in the US - I know that each has their own unique specialty and feel. But Cambridge (and Oxford too for that matter) you have the opportunity to live in a College and become apart of a community that are doing ground breaking research in all aspects.

Judge is fairly young, but I thought having the Cambridge behind your name would also carry over state side. I also believe that Cambridge is investing extensively in the school and over the next 10-15 years would truly be among the most elite. At the same time, thats 10-15 years aways and its not as practical as a US school and Johnson's placement, career services, and alumni are much more developed and matured.

Looks like the smart play is Johnson - in terms of fit, I also really liked every interaction with Johnson that I have had, which should not be discounted.

Originally posted by thesenator2017 on 07 Feb 2018, 01:06.
Last edited by thesenator2017 on 31 Mar 2018, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: USC Marshall IBEAR Program, Cornell Johnson AMBA, or Cambridge Judge?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 01:27
Good point, European schools are more research and theory-focused. You have to like that though. I have known a few people who attended Booth and Simon and who were not thrilled with classes taught by famous professors who did research all day long. They felt the professors were brilliant researchers but terrible teachers and their TA’s did a much better job at teaching and engaging students.

I do like the idea of a community- that would be a plus. Most schools do have some kind of an off-campus place where most students end up living (Aqua building for Booth, etc) and younusually be a part of the married community- they tend to hang together and mingle. I don’t know as much about Johnson.

PS. Cambridge name is definitely known due to undergrad and historic awareness as you know.... However, with Brexit, it is hard to tell how the Bschool will perform and I would not bet on the 10-15 yr horizon. You will hardly care at that point :)

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Re: USC Marshall IBEAR Program, Cornell Johnson AMBA, or Cambridge Judge? &nbs [#permalink] 07 Feb 2018, 01:27

USC Marshall IBEAR Program, Cornell Johnson AMBA, or Cambridge Judge?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap