GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2014, 14:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:30) correct 33% (01:34) wrong based on 305 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are seen in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in the field of physics, exponential decay in chemistry, and the constructing of the standard Western twelve-tone scale in music.

(A) Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are seen in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in the field of physics, exponential decay in chemistry, and the constructing
(B) Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in physics, exponential decay in chemistry, and in the constructing
(C) Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are shown in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in physics, exponential decay in chemistry, and the constructing
(D) In fields other than pure mathematics, the irrational number e is used in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in the field of physics, and exponential decay in chemistry, and the construction
(E) In fields other than pure mathematics, the irrational number e is used in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in physics, and exponential decay in chemistry, and in the construction

Hi,
I want to know which parts are parallel in this sentence (just for official answer), please.
To me, this sentence consists of many parallel structures (e.g. used in the calculation … , and in the construction)
How about "in finance, in physics, in chemistry and in music"?
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2014, 14:35
goodyear2013 wrote:
Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are seen in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in the field of physics, exponential decay in chemistry, and the constructing of the standard Western twelve-tone scale in music.

(A) Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are seen in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in the field of physics, exponential decay in chemistry, and the constructing
(B) Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in physics, exponential decay in chemistry, and in the constructing
(C) Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are shown in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in physics, exponential decay in chemistry, and the constructing
(D) In fields other than pure mathematics, the irrational number e is used in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in the field of physics, and exponential decay in chemistry, and the construction
(E) In fields other than pure mathematics, the irrational number e is used in the calculation of continuous compounding in finance, terminal velocity in physics, and exponential decay in chemistry, and in the construction

Hi,
I want to know which parts are parallel in this sentence (just for official answer), please.
To me, this sentence consists of many parallel structures (e.g. used in the calculation … , and in the construction)
How about "in finance, in physics, in chemistry and in music"?

Dear goodyear2013,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The parallelism in the OA is very complicated, because it's two-layered --- there's parallelism within parallelism.

In fields other than pure mathematics, the irrational number e is used
// in the calculation of
//// continuous compounding in finance,
//// terminal velocity in physics,
and
//// exponential decay in chemistry

and
// in the construction of the standard Western twelve-tone scale in music.
The green part is the inner parallelism --- the three things that are "calculated." This parallel list is inside the preposition "of", following the word "calculation." The red part is the outer parallelism
.... used in the calculation of X and in the construction of the standard Western twelve-tone scale in music.
In that reduction, the X represents the inner parallelism.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-22-2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 07:57
I was settling on E, but I found the ",and ____, and ____" to be redundant. Someone please refresh my memory. Thanks.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 11:26
sadovskiya wrote:
I was settling on E, but I found the ",and ____, and ____" to be redundant. Someone please refresh my memory. Thanks.

Dear sadovskiya,
I'm happy to respond. :-) What's very tricky about this problem is the nested parallelism, that is, one parallel structure inside another.

It's perfectly true that with a single parallel structure, we absolutely would not repeat the word "and."
I want to do W and X and Y and Z.
Colloquially, one might say that for dramatic effect, but it would never be correct in the formalism demanded of the GMAT. It's unnecessarily wordy & redundant. That's perfectly clear.

It becomes very tricky when we nest parallelism, that is to say, when we put one parallel structure inside another. Let's start with this sentence:
He likes to read books and to take long walks at twilight.
That has simple parallelism --- the two infinitives in parallel, the two things this person likes to do. So far so good. Now, consider this sentence:
He likes to read mystery, Gothic novels, and books about the paranormal..
Again, perfectly fine simple parallelism --- here, the three things the person likes to read. Now, consider what happens when we combine all this information:
He likes to read mystery, Gothic novels, and books about the paranormal, and to take long walks at twilight..
That sentence is 100% grammatically correct. The subject matter is a bit to storybook for the GMAT, but the grammatical structure is typical of what could appear on the GMAT. Here, the parallelism of the different book types is the "inner parallelism", and the first "and" is for this list; the parallelism of the two infinitive phrases, what he likes to do, is the outer parallelism, and the second "and" is for that list. After the simple subject & verb, "he likes", we have two infinitive phrases in parallel, and inside the first of those infinitive phrases is a second parallel structure, the kinds of books. The two "and's" in this sentence have very different jobs are very different from doubling up "and's" in the same list.

One of the trickiest things about the GMAT SC is the way that almost any grammatical structure can be nested inside almost any other structure. GMAT SC sentences can be like "Russian dolls", with shorter structures nested inside larger structures, and the hardest thing to do with each conjunction & adverb & etc. it to figure out to which level of the sentence it applies.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 13:20
Dear Mike, I really liked the word 'nested'. Gives a whole new dimension to solving an SC Q. Thanks for the tip. Hope others pick the intricacies too.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 10:26
Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure mathematics are seen in the calculation of
  • continuous compounding in finance,
  • terminal velocity in the field of physics,
  • exponential decay in chemistry, and
  • the constructing of the standard Western twelve-tone scale in music.

(A) the constructing is not parallel to remaining nouns in the list.

same error as in A.
Also uses are not calculation of all the items in list. They are the applications in which e is used.

same error of parallelism repeats here.

in the field of adds to the redundancy here.
and twice in the list of items spoils parallelism.

(E) In fields other than pure mathematics, the irrational number e is used
    in the calculation of
      continuous compounding in finance,
      terminal velocity in physics, and
      exponential decay in chemistry,

&
    in the construction
      of the standard Western twelve-tone scale in music.

This choice perfectly follows the parallelism.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 06:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jun 2018, 06:03

Uses of the irrational number e in fields other than pure

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap