GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 15:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Using 2016 Official Guide and MGMAT Prep Books?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Using 2016 Official Guide and MGMAT Prep Books?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 07:48
Hi All, back in 2016 I was getting ready to studying for the GMAT and got the Official Guide 2016 and the 6th edition of the Manhattan Prep guide books but unfortunately life got in the way and I was unable to complete my studying. I'm now trying to start back up and was wondering if these books are outdated or if they're still viable. I'm looking to probably take the test in early 2019. Should I get the latest editions or will it be okay to use these books?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Using 2016 Official Guide and MGMAT Prep Books?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 07:55
jy6537 wrote:
Hi All, back in 2016 I was getting ready to studying for the GMAT and got the Official Guide 2016 and the 6th edition of the Manhattan Prep guide books but unfortunately life got in the way and I was unable to complete my studying. I'm now trying to start back up and was wondering if these books are outdated or if they're still viable. I'm looking to probably take the test in early 2019. Should I get the latest editions or will it be okay to use these books?

Hello! It is totally ok to use these the only concern is that maybe the MGMAT books will not provide you access to MGMAT CAT.

The OG changes few questions every year.

You can refer to OG directory here in GMATclub

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-officia ... 40610.html

This might help you out.

All the best!

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 14:01
Hi jy6537,

Those books are perfectly fine to use during your studies - since the content and patterns behind the GMAT are essentially the same as they were back in 2016. That having been said, the TEST itself has gone through some changes. Earlier this year, the Quant and Verbal sections were both shortened (in terms of number of questions per section and total time per section), so you will have to account for those differences during your studies.

Since you've been away from the GMAT for the last couple of years, it would be a good idea to start off by taking a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your current strengths and weaknesses (including what you may have retained from your prior studies) and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
Using 2016 Official Guide and MGMAT Prep Books?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 10:18
Salsanousi wrote:
jy6537 wrote:

Hello! It is totally ok to use these the only concern is that maybe the MGMAT books will not provide you access to MGMAT CAT.

The OG changes few questions every year.

You can refer to OG directory here in GMATclub

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-officia ... 40610.html

This might help you out.

All the best!

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for the reply! Yeah I think my CATs expired so I'll have to use another resource for that!

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jy6537,

Those books are perfectly fine to use during your studies - since the content and patterns behind the GMAT are essentially the same as they were back in 2016. That having been said, the TEST itself has gone through some changes. Earlier this year, the Quant and Verbal sections were both shortened (in terms of number of questions per section and total time per section), so you will have to account for those differences during your studies.

Since you've been away from the GMAT for the last couple of years, it would be a good idea to start off by taking a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at http://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your current strengths and weaknesses (including what you may have retained from your prior studies) and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

Rich

I actually took a full CAT 2 years ago and scored pretty poorly. I know my quant was a weakness and I need to definitely start from the basics. I've started going through the MGMAT Quant books and I've been struggling with the problem sets. I would read through the lessons which were very basic and then go move onto Problem Sets that were drastically more difficult. Is this normal? Most of the problems I would have to keep looking back to the answers to know how to get started because I wouldn't know how to tackle the question. Does this mean I need to spend more time on the lessons? The lessons I thought were very straightforward...
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 11:53
Hi jy6537,

Many of the essential skills that are required to score at a high level on the GMAT are skills that you learned before you went to College - so if you have not used those skills in awhile, then it's understandable that you might be a bit 'rusty' (and by extension, you might need to (re)learn certain concepts). That having been said, the GMAT is a big 'critical thinking test' - it's built in a consistent, predictable fashion, so you can train to take advantage of Tactics and all of the built-in patterns that exist in the Exam.

To properly plan out your studies, it's important to define your overall Goals (even if they're just a bit 'general' at this point).

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 19:25
jy6537 wrote:
I actually took a full CAT 2 years ago and scored pretty poorly. I know my quant was a weakness and I need to definitely start from the basics. I've started going through the MGMAT Quant books and I've been struggling with the problem sets. I would read through the lessons which were very basic and then go move onto Problem Sets that were drastically more difficult. Is this normal? Most of the problems I would have to keep looking back to the answers to know how to get started because I wouldn't know how to tackle the question. Does this mean I need to spend more time on the lessons? The lessons I thought were very straightforward...
Practice questions and explanations are as much a part of the learning process as working through theory is. Keep at it, and use a GMATPrep sometime to make any necessary course corrections (high quality non-official questions are useful, but may lack the "feel" of actual GMAT questions).

Ascore Prep | Live Online

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Using 2016 Official Guide and MGMAT Prep Books? &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 19:25

Using 2016 Official Guide and MGMAT Prep Books?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap