GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 11:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Using Manhattan Prep & Private tutor to boost score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Using Manhattan Prep & Private tutor to boost score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 10:59
I posted back in 02/19 that I had made a 430 on my 1st practice GMAT test back in 05/18.
I took the test cold and I pretty much put if off for all of 2018. At the beginning of this year, I decided, it was time to really start studying.
I knew that my weakest point was my math. I began with the Foundations of Math prep book from Manhattan prep and I've been consistently putting
in 8 hours weekly for the month a half. I'm very close to being done with the book.
So I began to plan for the next step.

I want to take the exam in either October or November.
My original plan was to study 8 hours a week, but after doing research I was told I was going to need more.
So I looked into the Manhattan prep and also one of their private tutors.
I will start the class on 04/15/19. I now plan on increasing my studying time to 13 hours.. 3 in class and 10 by myself.
I'm hoping that the tutor will help me with my weaknesses and more than anything give me directions on what to study.
I feel that the most important thing is to not study for the sake of studying but to do it efficiently.
So if for the next 20 weeks, I take the class twice(if needed) and dedicate 13 hours a week, plus a private tutor.
Is it realistic to think that I can boost my 430 to a 700?

I want to get into the University of Oklahoma and their last class GMAT average was a 610.
The 700 is more of a personal goal and I'm also hoping to get money in scholarships for a high score.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and answer my question. I promise once I get a better understanding of the test and I see what works for myself
I will start contributing to the newbies. I feel that I don't know enough to give other people advice at this point.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Using Manhattan Prep & Private tutor to boost score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 20:22
Hi ljjuaerz,

While there's no "magic wand" that you will guarantee you a 700+ Score, there are choices that you can make for your studies that can make the overall process more efficient (and thus, increase your chances of scoring higher). Since you've been focused on honing your general 'math' skills over the last 1.5 months - and since it's been almost a YEAR since you took a practice CAT - it would make sense for you to take a new CAT sometime soon. You can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your current strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can discuss the results (and that data will probably be useful to your tutor as well).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 17:02
Hi ljjuaerz,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. As already stated, since it has been some time since you last took a practice exam, the next thing you need to do is take an official MBA.com exam to see how far you are from your score goal. Once you complete the practice exam, feel free to report back here with your score breakdown, and we can further discuss your study plan and answer any additional questions you may have.

Also, you may find it helpful to read the following articles: How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success and How Long Should I Study for the GMAT?

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 19:29
ljjuaerz wrote:
Is it realistic to think that I can boost my 430 to a 700?
It's unlikely that anyone here knows you well enough to answer that question.

You have a reasonable plan in place. I think you should just execute it now, without worrying about the exact score you'll get at the end of the journey. :)

All the best!
Re: Using Manhattan Prep & Private tutor to boost score   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2019, 19:29

Using Manhattan Prep & Private tutor to boost score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep