GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Apr 2019, 17:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V03-40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
V03-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (00:31) correct 64% (00:39) wrong based on 109 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A proposed law would require people to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote to curb potential fraud.

A. places when they vote to curb potential fraud
B. places when they vote, to curb potential fraud
C. places, when they vote to curb potential fraud
D. places, when they vote, to curb potential fraud
E. places, to curb potential fraud by voting

Re V03-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:00
Official Solution:

A proposed law would require people to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote to curb potential fraud.

The sentence is testing correct placement of modifiers. As the sentence is worded in the question stem, it seems as if a vote is being taken to decide whether or not to curb potential fraud. The meaning of the modifying phrase to curb potential fraud should be clarified.
  1. The phrase when they vote to curb potential fraud is misleading
  2. The comma placed between vote and to curb correctly separates the two ideas, making it clear that photo ID is the item intended to curb potential fraud.
  3. The comma is incorrectly inserted after places and does not sufficiently clarify which part of the sentence to curb potential fraud is intended to modify.
  4. The commas setting off the phrase when they vote are unnecessary and do not help clarify the meaning of the sentence.
  5. The comma in this phrase is incorrectly placed, and gives inadequate sense to the sentence.

Answer: B
B
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V03-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 08:24
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

The sentence is testing correct placement of modifiers. As the sentence is worded in the question stem, it seems as if a vote is being taken to decide whether or not to curb potential fraud. The meaning of the modifying phrase to curb potential fraud should be clarified.
  1. The phrase when they vote to curb potential fraud is misleading
  2. The comma placed between vote and to curb correctly separates the two ideas, making it clear that photo ID is the item intended to curb potential fraud.
  3. The comma is incorrectly inserted after places and does not sufficiently clarify which part of the sentence to curb potential fraud is intended to modify.
  4. The commas setting off the phrase when they vote are unnecessary and do not help clarify the meaning of the sentence.
  5. The comma in this phrase is incorrectly placed, and gives inadequate sense to the sentence.

Answer: B

Option D explanation states that commas are unnecessary and do not help clarify the meaning of the sentence. Can you please explain what is the intended meaning assuming these commas are present? How does it change the meaning?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 22:32
option D,

A proposed law would require people to bring photo ID to polling places places, when they vote, to curb potential fraud

the bold part act as modifier, so rest of sentence reads as:-

A proposed law would require people to bring photo ID to polling places places to curb potential fraud.

I think meaning is pretty clear. Infact, option B do not seem correct ( to me atleast :) )

to complete potential fraud after comma looks like incomplete sentence. it sounds weird also.

Hope someone can explain. Thanks
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 10:35
intended meaning :- in order to curb fraud , a law is proposed that would require to bring i card @ voting place when people vote.

Meaning is clear with option D. why this one is wrong? Can anyone explain
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 10:43
any gmat verbal expert is requested to solve the ambiguity ..Pls validate this question and explain why D is wrong.....also tell whether use of "when" is valid in option B as it is usually used to indicate time...
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 19:27
Bunuel wrote:

I went ahead with option D too. Please explain GMAT experts.
Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 20:40
Hi,

I read from Ron that punctuation is not tested in gmat. In this question, answer choices are distinguished purely by the place of comma. Can I say that it is testing punctuation? Thanks
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 06:13
ThangLe wrote:
Hi,

I read from Ron that punctuation is not tested in gmat. In this question, answer choices are distinguished purely by the place of comma. Can I say that it is testing punctuation? Thanks

Yes, to my knowledge, GMAT does not distinguish a wrong answer from a right ONLY on the basis of punctuation - there is generally at least one other issue with a wrong answer.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 09:27
Hi, I guess the question on this post remains unanswered. Why is option D incorrect? Can someone please explain.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 09:58
IMO "when they vote" is necessary because law states that ID is required when people vote. In option D the phrase is modifying "places"
Hence B is correct.

Sent from my MI PAD using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 21:41
There is a concept of essential and non-essential modifiers in this question. In option D, placing a comma before "when they vote" makes it a non-essential modifier.
In other words, the sentence should make perfect sense even without the phrase "when they vote" i.e A proposed law would require people to bring photo ID to polling places to curb potential fraud.
But, this statement, alters the meaning in the sense that just bringing the photo ID to polling places is enough to curb potential frauds regardless of whether the person votes or not.
However, in option B removing the comma before "when they vote" makes it an essential modifier, implying that bringing the photo ID to polling places when they vote will help to curb potential fraud.
I hope this explanation clears the air.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V03-40   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2017, 21:41

V03-40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap