It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V05-15

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133019 [0], given: 12402

V05-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:24
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (00:56) correct 50% (01:15) wrong based on 108 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial governments assume that the dictator will change policies unacceptable to the imposing nation when the country’s citizens lose sufficient access to necessities such as food, water, and clothing. This approach occasionally proves unsuccessful, however, especially when ...

A. citizens of the country are accustomed to being poor
B. the dictator has ideological reasons for maintaining national policy
C. the country imposing the sanctions relies on exports from the subject country
D. the dictator is not moved by the suffering of his people
E. citizens of the country do not understand the leader’s policies
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re V05-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:25
Official Solution:

Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial governments assume that the dictator will change policies unacceptable to the imposing nation when the country’s citizens lose sufficient access to necessities such as food, water, and clothing. This approach occasionally proves unsuccessful, however, especially when ...

C. the country imposing the sanctions relies on exports from the subject country

Situation: Economic sanctions imposed on countries run by dictators assume that policies will be changed once the country’s citizens begin to run low on necessities.

Reasoning: Which option provides a reason that sanctions imposed in this manner might be unsuccessful? This approach assumes that a dictator will change his policies when citizens begin to suffer due to the lack of necessities that results from the sanctions. If, however, the dictator does not care that citizens are suffering, this approach is very likely to prove unsuccessful.
  1. What citizens are accustomed to has little bearing on the reaction of a dictator.
  2. This option ignores the connection made in the first sentence of the passage between sanctions and citizens’ access to necessities.
  3. Exports are not mentioned in the passage as being key to the success of the strategy of sanctions.
  4. This option correctly addresses the connection made in the first section of the passage between desired changes of policies and the citizens’ loss of sufficient access to necessities. If the dictator does not care about the suffering of his people, the policies will not change.
  5. Citizen understanding of the dictator’s policies is not a key to successful sanctions.

Answer: D

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: V05-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 12:47
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Nation and country are interchangeable words. So the word countries is highly ambiguous and we can't clearly say that whether it is referring to the imposing nation or dictator's country.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 11:42
siliconbeach wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Nation and country are interchangeable words. So the word countries is highly ambiguous and we can't clearly say that whether it is referring to the imposing nation or dictator's country.

Right you are, it is poor. I can freevolously, as well, infer that if the dictator is not moved by the sufferings of the people, he will be moved by the people themselves. Thus, the aim of embargo is achieved. And this option is wrong then. :)))

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Schools: Molson '19
GMAT Date: 12-06-2014
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2016, 09:25
I dont understand the question properly ..it says economic sactions that FORBID TRADE WITH DICTORIAL GOVTS
. These sanctions forbid trade because they believe that these dictoral govts change the policies UNACCEPTABLE when the country's (which trade with dict govt) customer suffer .
If the answer choice C is right , then it means that the change mentioned in the question is a positive change ( i.e the dictorial govt is moved by the people's suffering ) However the dictorial govt changes the policies in a way that is unacceptable and that is why these economic sactions forbid trade with the dic govts . In that case how can D be correct ? C is fine acc to my understanding .Please E-gmat help .

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Re V05-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 19:31
I think this is a poor-quality question. Should "the suffering" be replaced by something like...."the living conditions" or anything those lines? "Suffering" seems a bit too strong of a word to use.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 09:26
mangoleaf wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question. Should "the suffering" be replaced by something like...."the living conditions" or anything those lines? "Suffering" seems a bit too strong of a word to use.

The word "suffering" may be strong, but replacing it with "living conditions", as you suggested, does not change the tested reasoning aspect of the question.

(Whatsoever not having access to food, water and clothing results in suffering for the people and hence, even in literary sense, the usage in alright in my view. )

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 06:43
Dictators are not supposed to be moved by suffering of their people. They must always be unconcerned about their people.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V05-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 13:05
sourabhsharma149 wrote:
Dictators are not supposed to be moved by suffering of their people. They must always be unconcerned about their people.

Your statement is based on your external knowledge gained from the history of certain dictators; such knowledge is not required to be applied while answering GMAT questions. The wording of option D is logically the correct option - it does not matter whether in reality some dictators have concerns about their people's suffering.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 05:18
I think its a good question which tricks you to interpret that you need to complete the passage in favor of the imposing country and hence majority including me picked C.

On analysis realized my folly, D is the winner

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 20:19
yup, D is the best choice because D gives the reason to explain why the plan fails.
In case you want to discuss further about the subject, I am from a communism country which has been in strong trade bonds with the U.S. Truthfully, I can verify that the question is 100% right.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 06:34
I do not understand why choice D is correct and not B. Could you explain a little more deeply.Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 103

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 11:20
Bunuel wrote:

The Highlighted portion above is ambiguous. country’s citizens can refer to the citizen of either countries though logically it should refer to the citizens of a countries with dictatorial government.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 103

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 12:16
Why i feel D is right

A. citizens of the country are accustomed to being poor - The decision has to be made by dictator so it does not matter what citizens feel but what dictator see.
B. the dictator has ideological reasons for maintaining national policy - National policy is mentioned but the question is about trade between two countries so there should be a bilateral policy or inter country policy that should be talked about.

C. the country imposing the sanctions relies on exports from the subject country- Sancations are on trade so that can be both import and export thus C is not right.
D. the dictator is not moved by the suffering of his people - As mentioned in PArt A the decision has to be made by the dictator so if he does not see peope suffering he will not make any changes .
E. citizens of the country do not understand the leader’s policies - As mentioned in A and D , it has to be a decision made by the dictator as passage talks about dictator's decision .

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: V05-15   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2017, 12:16

V05-15

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap