It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V06-31

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 119296 [0], given: 12019

V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:27
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:20) correct 32% (01:29) wrong based on 129 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Aldolase is a protein found in the brain. In an experiment, subjects that consistently chose sweetened drinks when offered a choice between salty and sweetened drinks were found to have significantly higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains than did subjects that consistently chose salty drinks over sweetened drinks. This observation strongly supports the conclusion that Aldolase causes subjects to crave sweetened drinks.

Which one of the following, if true, most supports the argument?

A. The craving for sweetened drinks does not invariably result in a subject’s choosing those drinks over salty drinks.
B. The brains of the subjects that consistently chose to drink sweetened drinks did not contain significantly more sugar than did the brains of subjects that consistently chose salty drinks.
C. The chemical components of Aldolase are present in both sweetened and salty drinks.
D. The subjects that preferred sweetened drinks had the higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains before they were offered sweetened drinks.
E. Subjects that metabolize sugar less efficiently than do other subjects develop high concentrations of Aldolase in their brains.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 119296 [0], given: 12019

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 119296 [3] , given: 12019

Re V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Official Solution:

Aldolase is a protein found in the brain. In an experiment, subjects that consistently chose sweetened drinks when offered a choice between salty and sweetened drinks were found to have significantly higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains than did subjects that consistently chose salty drinks over sweetened drinks. This observation strongly supports the conclusion that Aldolase causes subjects to crave sweetened drinks.

Which one of the following, if true, most supports the argument?

A. The craving for sweetened drinks does not invariably result in a subject’s choosing those drinks over salty drinks.
B. The brains of the subjects that consistently chose to drink sweetened drinks did not contain significantly more sugar than did the brains of subjects that consistently chose salty drinks.
C. The chemical components of Aldolase are present in both sweetened and salty drinks.
D. The subjects that preferred sweetened drinks had the higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains before they were offered sweetened drinks.
E. Subjects that metabolize sugar less efficiently than do other subjects develop high concentrations of Aldolase in their brains.

This stimulus contains causal reasoning; the conclusion takes a correlation and turns it into a causal relationship. As with all causal arguments, once you identify the causality, you must immediately look to the question stem and then attack. In this instance, the author simply assumes that Aldolase is the cause. Why can’t the sweetened drinks lead to higher concentrations of Aldolase?
  1. The argument discusses the concentration of Aldolase in the brains of subjects; no mention is made of the sugar content of the brains of subjects. This answer, which focuses on the sugar content in the brains of subjects, therefore offers no support to the argument. Even though the brain might not contain more sugar, a subject could still consistently choose and drink drinks with higher sugar content.
  2. The argument discusses the concentration of Aldolase in the brains of subjects; no mention is made of the sugar content of the brains of subjects. This answer, which focuses on the sugar content in the brains of subjects, therefore offers no support to the argument. Even though the brain might not contain more sugar, a subject could still consistently choose and drink drinks with higher sugar content.
  3. The argument is that Aldolase in the brain causes subjects to crave sweetened drinks. The fact that Aldolase is in the drink does not help that assertion and may actually hurt the argument.
  4. Correct. The answer strengthens the argument by eliminating the possibility that the stated causal relationship is reversed - if the subjects had higher concentrations of Aldolase prior to taking the sweetened drinks, then the sweetened drinks cannot be the cause of the higher concentration of Aldolase.
  5. This answer choice is the opposite to what is asked in the question stem. This answer choice hurts the argument by suggesting that the causal relationship in the conclusion is reversed.

Answer: D

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 119296 [3] , given: 12019

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 73

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: General Management (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 15:43
This post received
KUDOS
I think this question is poor and not helpful - the correct response is not coherent with its explanation.

THANKS = KUDOS. Kudos if my post helped you! :)

Napoleon Hill — 'Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.'

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 73

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 09:04
I think explanation of this question is not correctly written for option A ( its same as B).

I can get why D is right but Can anyone explain why option A is wrong?

Option A states that its is not the craving that leads to choose Sugar over salt. Thus, supports that Aldolase is the cause and not any other factor,

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 73

WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 20:09
rukna wrote:
I think explanation of this question is not correctly written for option A ( its same as B).

I can get why D is right but Can anyone explain why option A is wrong?

Option A states that its is not the craving that leads to choose Sugar over salt. Thus, supports that Aldolase is the cause and not any other factor,

Option A is incorrect because it says thet craving and choosing are not connected and even if a person chooses sweetened drinks he may actually crave for a salty one.
This option thus undermines the conclusion because it questions the conclusion that says "adolase makes people crave sweetened drinks".

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 73

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Re V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 10:20
I don't agree with the explanation. Pls explain why option a is wrong

Intern
Intern
B

Re V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 10:23
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Pls explain why option a is wrong....
Pls clear whats wrong with Option A .as it says there could not be any other reason for conclusion to hold true..so only aldolase is the reason

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 04:18
Can someone help me with option E please? I think its supporting the conclusion perfectly. If you genereate less sugar, you need more to compensate it, so your body increases the level of A.. So this hormone stimulates someone to crave sweetened drinks.

why do they say this is reversed logic :D I know i am wrong i just dont get it :D

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 12

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Kindly look into this question. I think the options A and D have been interchanged. The answer explanation is also a proof.

Likes = Kudos

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 12

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 06:11
Explanation for option choice A and option choice B is same. It appears that explanation for option choice B is also copied into explanation for option choice A by mistake.

I understand that in above question there are two option choices that strengthen the Causal Relationship. Here is my reasoning for the same.

Option choice C - The chemical components of Aldolase are present in both sweetened and salty drinks.
. What if aldolase is present only in sweetened drinks. That will lead to higher concentration of aldolase in the people who consumed sweetened drinks. In a way the causal relationship will be reversed that is sweetened drinks will lead to higher concentration of aldolase in the people. Information in option choice C eliminates this possibility by stating that aldolase is present in both drinks. Thus in a way strengthens the position that aldolase leads to the craving for sweetened drinks.

Option choice D - The subjects that preferred sweetened drinks had the higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains before they were offered sweetened drinks.. As stated in the explanation - if the subjects had higher concentrations of Aldolase prior to taking the sweetened drinks, then the sweetened drinks cannot be the cause of the higher concentration of Aldolase.

Experts kindly comment.

Thanks
Sahil

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 138

GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 08:10
I don't agree with the explanation. I understand the answer choice, but the explanation question by question of "why not" is poor-quality.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 138

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re V06-31 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 04:53
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Please provide a better and simple explanation.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re V06-31   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2017, 04:53

V06-31

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap