It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V06-40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 132984 [0], given: 12395

V06-40 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (00:49) correct 48% (01:10) wrong based on 278 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior displayed by some teenagers who play several hours of video games a day is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain rather than the absorption of any specifically violent content.

A. is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain
B. are due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain
C. is due to damage to the developmental frontal lobe region of the brain
D. are due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe
E. is due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe region
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re V06-40 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:28
Official Solution:

A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior displayed by some teenagers who play several hours of video games a day is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain rather than the absorption of any specifically violent content.

This sentence correctly uses the singular word damage to designate developmental problems in the brain. The singular verb is also correctly matches the singular subject violent behavior. The other options either introduce errors in agreement or awkward wording.
  1. This sentence correctly pairs the singular verb is with the subject violent behavior, and also correctly uses the word damage when describing problems with brain development.
  2. The verb are does not agree with the subject violent behavior.
  3. The word developmental incorrectly modifies frontal lobe when it should modify damage.
  4. Are is a plural verb that does not agree with the singular subject violent behavior.
  5. The phrase brain’s frontal lobe region is unnecessarily awkward.

Answer: A

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Brand Management (Advertising and PR)
Re: V06-40 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 04:18
Hello -

Is it me or answer A) seems to lack an article "a" in front of "developmental damage"? If the frontal lobe is damaged you could say there is "a damage to it" or there "are damages to it" in which case you don't need an article.
Where am I wrong?

v

- "Sometimes the truth usn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded." Batman

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Schools: INSEAD Jan '16, LBS
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 02:47
Bunuel wrote:

Hi, not 100% sure on one thing. Does the "the" in the phrase "the absorption of any specifically violent content" not result in a parallelism problem with "developmental damage".

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 79

WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 03:53
i marked answer A as correct but i just wonder why E is wrong... is "damages" wrong?

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 79

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 14

GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 12:03
Hello Bunuel

I had the same problem with understanding why is E wrong, but in the end i went with A because "Brain's sounded strange".

This type of problem that include answers that are eliminated because they are "unnecessarily awkward" sometimes leave me confused. Do you have any rule that may help me understand when something can be eliminated for being awkward?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 23:48
Can anyone clarify the following doubt -

usage of singular "is" is required because of singular noun "violent behavior" but what about the presence of subjunctive verb "suggests"?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 67 [1], given: 137

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 04:01
This post received
KUDOS
tmukogo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi, not 100% sure on one thing. Does the "the" in the phrase "the absorption of any specifically violent content" not result in a parallelism problem with "developmental damage".

I have the same question! Infact I marked the wrong answer as C, because I was trying to keep it parallel to 'rather than the absorption'. Help anyone?

Its not over..

Kudos [?]: 67 [1], given: 137

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re V06-40 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 15:54
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Shouldn't subjunctive verb rules apply to this sentence since the study "suggests" a finding? In which case, should we not treat this in plural?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 08:14
On option E - Awkwardness of a sentence can be extremely subjective . Is there a grammatical rule based on which you are rejecting this statement ?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 119

Concentration: Finance, Economics

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 14:45
swanidhi wrote:
tmukogo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I have the same question! Infact I marked the wrong answer as C, because I was trying to keep it parallel to 'rather than the absorption'. Help anyone?

I know this post is now old but C incorrectly modifies the sentence.
The sentence wants to read that developmental damage was done to the frontal lobe.
C reads that damage was done to the frontal lobe which is responsible for development.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 119

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V21
Reviews Badge
V06-40 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 19:22
Experts,

Please elaborate why (E) is an incorrect option.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 3

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 2.71
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 14:59
Same doubt

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 21:45
Seems E should the correct option. Can we please have clarification on this? What is wrong with developmental damages?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: V06-40   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 21:45

V06-40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap