Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618731 [12]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [16]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618731 [1]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: V07-18 [#permalink]
Kudos
Why can't A be the answer as the conclusion is concerned with the relative % decline in the WEIGHT of the plastic and aluminium cans.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
srishtigrover wrote:
Why can't A be the answer as the conclusion is concerned with the relative % decline in the WEIGHT of the plastic and aluminium cans.

Consider mathematically,

Previously the no. of plastic bottles in garbage = p and the no. of aluminium bottles in garbage = a

Now no. of plastic bottles in garbage = p' and no. of aluminium bottles in garbage = a'

say x = weight of each plastic bottle, y = weight of each aluminium bottle

(p-p')x = weight of recycled plastic (i.e. total reduction in weight of plastic bottles)
(a-a')y = weight of recycled aluminium (i.e. total reduction in weight of aluminium bottles)

Weight of plastic bottles in domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage than the weight of aluminum cans =>
(p-p')x/px > (a-a')y/ay
or 1-p'/p > 1 - a'/a
or p'/p < a'/a

Though aluminium recycling was more wide,i.e.
(a-a') > (p-p')

The question is: although (a-a') > (p-p'), why p'/p < a'/a ?

We have to explain why these two conditions happen together. The weights of the botlles (x and y) are not parameters in the aforesaid equations.

Option A: Plastic bottles are heavier than aluminium cans. i.e. x>y. This does not matter because the two equations to be explained do not contain x and y.

Now suppose the last sentence were as follows:
"....it was found that the weight of plastic bottles in domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage AMOUNT than the weight of aluminum cans.

Then the two statements required to be explained would be:
although (a-a') > (p-p'), why (p-p')x> (a-a')y?
Now option A is the right answer since the above two equations can be satisfied only when x>y.

The use of the word "percentage" makes all the difference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Wow. loved the explanation.. i was reading e-gmat question today, and got stuck in a similar problem of absolute vs percentage.. Will highly appreciate if you could provide more material on this?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
IN OPTION C

Polymer is the superset, plastic is the subset of the superset.
So how can we infer that the plastic weight has gone down, plastic weight may be consistent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
srishtigrover wrote:

Consider mathematically,

Previously the no. of plastic bottles in garbage = p and the no. of aluminium bottles in garbage = a

Now no. of plastic bottles in garbage = p' and no. of aluminium bottles in garbage = a'

say x = weight of each plastic bottle, y = weight of each aluminium bottle

(p-p')x = weight of recycled plastic (i.e. total reduction in weight of plastic bottles)
(a-a')y = weight of recycled aluminium (i.e. total reduction in weight of aluminium bottles)

Weight of plastic bottles in domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage than the weight of aluminum cans =>
(p-p')x/px > (a-a')y/ay
or 1-p'/p > 1 - a'/a
or p'/p < a'/a

Though aluminium recycling was more wide,i.e.
(a-a') > (p-p')

The question is: although (a-a') > (p-p'), why p'/p < a'/a ?

We have to explain why these two conditions happen together. The weights of the botlles (x and y) are not parameters in the aforesaid equations.

Option A: Plastic bottles are heavier than aluminium cans. i.e. x>y. This does not matter because the two equations to be explained do not contain x and y.

Now suppose the last sentence were as follows:
"....it was found that the weight of plastic bottles in domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage AMOUNT than the weight of aluminum cans.

Then the two statements required to be explained would be:
although (a-a') > (p-p'), why (p-p')x> (a-a')y?
Now option A is the right answer since the above two equations can be satisfied only when x>y.

The use of the word "percentage" makes all the difference.

Suppose there were 1000kg of trash in 2000 in which 100g was Al and 400g of plastic.(As per option A)
Also let us suppose there were 4 no. of can each type.

Now After 10 years say 3 nos. of Al cans got recycled and only one remained in th trash.Also only 1 no. of Plastic can got recycled and 3 nos. remained in the trash.
This makes 25g of Al trash and 300g of Plastic trash(It is given that more aluminium cans got recycled).
Now plz check the %ge. Aluminium reduced by 7.5% and Plastic reduced by 10% which solves the paradox.

So my point is that if weight of plastic was Significantly high in the trash compared to aluminium, even minor reduction will lead to greater %ge change compared to lighter substance.
Request your reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Schools: IIMC
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q88 V79 DI77
GPA: 7.98
Send PM
I don't understand why option A is wrong here. Lets say we have 5 Aluminum cans and 4 plastic bottles. The weight of the 5 Al cans is 5 kg, and the weight of the 4 plastic bottles is 10 kg. If we remove all of them, greater percentage of Al gets removed. But from a weight perspective, plastic bottles win. Then ?
sayantanc2k
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anish777 wrote:
I don't understand why option A is wrong here. Lets say we have 5 Aluminum cans and 4 plastic bottles. The weight of the 5 Al cans is 5 kg, and the weight of the 4 plastic bottles is 10 kg. If we remove all of them, greater percentage of Al gets removed. But from a weight perspective, plastic bottles win. Then ?
sayantanc2k

Hi. It would be correct that if you removed all or majority of the plastic bottles, the weight would go down. However, we have this condition:

Quote:
However, although aluminum recycling was more widely practiced in this period than plastic recycling,

And since the decline was in percentage terms, and not absolute, A is not the right answer…

PS. Please see numerous replies above. They explain each of the options quite well.
Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts