It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V07-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V07-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:13) correct 54% (01:52) wrong based on 138 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony’s PS4 sold 18.5 million units and reached 10.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, a growth of 37.9% from October 2014. Despite the massive growth, Sony’s PlayStation is behind Microsoft’s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games. On 28th January 2015, Spotify, the leading music subscription service announced an exclusive partnership with PS4, and offered digital music to 64 million PlayStation Network users. With the announcement, Feb 2015 saw a spike in sales for the PS4 units by 45%.
Which one of the following conclusions is valid for the above statements?

A. PS4, on itself, does not have the brand reach nor the mass following needed to overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One.
B. Demand for Microsoft’s Xbox One declined during Feb 2015
C. Bundling of services has increased the market share for Sony’s PS4
D. Price cut had a direct impact on sales of Gaming Units
E. Sales of Sony’s PS4 will overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One in 2015
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
Re V07-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 06:22
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony’s PS4 sold 18.5 million units and reached 10.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, a growth of 37.9% from October 2014. Despite the massive growth, Sony’s PlayStation is behind Microsoft’s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games. On 28th January 2015, Spotify, the leading music subscription service announced an exclusive partnership with PS4, and offered digital music to 64 million PlayStation Network users. With the announcement, Feb 2015 saw a spike in sales for the PS4 units by 45%.
Which one of the following conclusions is valid for the above statements?

A. PS4, on itself, does not have the brand reach nor the mass following needed to overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One.
D. Price cut had a direct impact on sales of Gaming Units
E. Sales of Sony’s PS4 will overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One in 2015

The portion " ....in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut....." clearly indicates that the price cut had a positive impact on the sales of units. Hence D is correct. Option C is not correct since an increase in sales may not necessarily indicate a growth in market share. The market itself may have grown.

Answer: D

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: V07-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 09:49
souvik101990 wrote:

D. Price Cut had a direct impact on sales of Gaming Units
E. Price Cut had a direct impact on sales of Gaming Units

Hello souvik101990

This question has the same answers for D and E.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 03:16
Hello,

Yep D and E are the same. Also, there is no question.
However, I did end up with C, even though it was one choice minus I had to reject. I responded to the question "Based on the information in the stem, what could be most safely inferred concerning the sales of PS4 and XB1"?
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 13:18
I think this is a poor-quality question. the main question stem is missing
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 20:13
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V36
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
Growth of sales by 45% may not suggest it is a rise in market share. XBox's market share may also have grown thus possibly not allowing PS4's share to grow. Since we do not know how much XBox grew between Nov 14 and Feb 15, how is C correct?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. The sales might increase, But the market share might not increase at all as the sale of microsoft XBOX could have also increased. Correct choice should be D.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 16:27
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Unless we know the relative increase/ decrease of XBox in Feb 2015, we cannot reliably claim that that PS4's market share has increased. Please edit this question or remove it from the tests.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
Agree with the comments above; there is no information to suggest an increase in market share. The most we can say is D.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 06:33
Definitely a poor quality question. Answer is D as we do not know about sales of XBox or other gmaing units.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Growth in sales does not necessarily mean growth in market share.
I wouldn't automatically call the offer a "bundling of services." If the offer was made to previous customers it would just be a bonus offer, not a purchase bundle.
Additionally, from my understanding, you don't have to purchase a PS4 to be a PS subscriber/network user. You could theoretically have an increase in users but no change in market share.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 06:31
I agree with Akanaiku
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 07:37
Ans choice C is a Might be case and not a Must be case. D looks like the only convincing answer
What if the Market itself has grown by 100% in that case the market share of sony might have come
down.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 03:05
I think this is a poor-quality question. I don't agree with the answer. If the Market overall growth were greater than Sony´s growth in the same period, Sony would have lost mkt share.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 14:04
MatrixMBA wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question. I don't agree with the answer. If the Market overall growth were greater than Sony´s growth in the same period, Sony would have lost mkt share.

Thank you for pointing out. OA and OE have been changed accordingly.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 10:44
Choice D states that Price cut had a direct impact on sales of Gaming Units but it didn't explicitly mention Xbox. And we don't know how price cut may have effected sales of PS4. So how can we comment on sales of gaming units?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
V07-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 10:43
Navinder wrote:
Choice D states that Price cut had a direct impact on sales of Gaming Units but it didn't explicitly mention Xbox. And we don't know how price cut may have effected sales of PS4. So how can we comment on sales of gaming units?

Option D is true because the price cut had impact on SOME gaming units. In order for option D to be true, it not required that the price cut necessarily affect ALL gaming units.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 01:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sayantanc2k wrote:
Navinder wrote:

Option D is true because the price cut had impact on SOME gaming units. In order for option D to be true, it not required that the price cut necessarily affect ALL gaming units.

So, in a general case we consider statement is true for SOME unless it is mentioned for ALL?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 02:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Navinder wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Navinder wrote:

So, in a general case we consider statement is true for SOME unless it is mentioned for ALL?

No, not in all cases. The meaning needs to be considered with care. For example:

Cows are domestic animals ..... here the statement implies that ALL cows are domestic animals.

However for the subject question, consider this way:

A set S consists of two subsets P and Q. Something changed the subset P. A change in subset also implies a change in super-set because the super-set is no longer the same as a part of it has changed. Hence change in P implies a change in S.

Here gaming units= super-set S
Xbox = subset P
PS4 = subset Q
Re: V07-36   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2016, 02:06

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

V07-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap